Server fps horrifcly low even after restart

lwbuk

Question

Ill be as brief as possible. I took out a 30 slot epoch server with a host in December and its grown pretty quick.

It got to a point where the server was getting full every night with more people trying to join, so I raised the slot limit through the host to 40, and thats where it all started going wrong.

Lags, random crashes, several times during each restart, data not saving, things spawning where they were days before etc. Most of all though, the server fps is horrific.  Earlier after a restart with just me online, it was 15fps. With 10 people it dropped to 10fps, with 30, 5 fps, above that it hits 2fps sometimes.

The database has about 5k objects, Ive got WAI and DZMS, plus DZGM, adnavced trading, coins, self blood, logistics, build bike and a few others. Restarts are every 2 hrs. Also have infistar.

Before the upgrade to 40 slots, I had very few issues, now its bad.

My last restart, about 25 people joined straight in and server fps hit 4 straight away.

My host blames me entirely and refuses to accept thier may be a problem elsewhere, although they did admit they have another high pop server on my box. They told me to remove all scripts and try running it, but most of the scripts they provide anyway, so they shouldnt be selling a server that cant run them. At one point they said my ISP was to blame. They think Im a fool, as Im pretty ceertain my isp doesnt run thier servers!

I put the exact same files and database on my test server with a different host and with just me online server fps was 45 straight off and stayed above 30 for a good while.

Im looking at getting a dedi box, but in the meantime, apart from removing every single script that makes the game fun, is there anything I can do to help raise it a bit.  Ive lowered the ai, lowered the zombies, remove the crash spawn events, deleted a load of the database, played with the basic.cfg. Im at a loss really. When it hits 5fps, WAI stops spawning and players moan there are no missions.

Im almost certain the host has oversubcribed the box, but I cant really proove it and they wont ever admit it, the did offer to move me to a new ip on a different box though.

Any help wuld be most appreciated! If you want any files like rpt or whatever, then let me know, although I turned logs off at the request of the host to try again some more fps,so it doesnt record much, just inifistar stuff mainly.

4 answers to this question

you want the truth? get yourself a dedibox. :)

its what I did, and I never regret it.

the hosted servers are mostly shit from a performance point of view.

but 15 fps with just you online is very low I have to say. even on the hosted server with just me and my serversetup I got

nearly 45fps. It went down heavily with each new player joining though.

the worst was 4fps, that was the point when I made the step over to the dedibox.

2 minutes ago, seelenapparat said:

you want the truth? get yourself a dedibox. :)

its what I did, and I never regret it.

the hosted servers are mostly shit from a performance point of view.

Yeah it's the way foward for sure, although it's way out of depth, I'll be willing to try. Before this server I'd never done any coding or anything like it, so it's all a big leap. 

Just  annoyed that Im. sold something and it's not being delivered.   It could be down to my poor scripting skills, but then I can't explain why I get such a big increase in fps on my test server with the exact same files. 

It will probably be 2 weeks  or more before I can get a dedi box bought and set up, so I was hoping there was some secret  I could implement in the mean time before all my players get fed up and leave. 

Well I'm truely lost now. 

Dedi box bought from ovh,  tested thoroughly and was getting solid 48 fps even after server being up for 2 days  with no restarts. 

Make it live and it's starts great at 40 fps. Get to 20 people and it drops to about 19fps, 35 people and it's at 9fps. 

Something seriously wrong somewhere, likely in the scripts, but I don't have the knowledge to fix it. 

Im going to remove dzms and see what difference that makes, just keep wai. Ive removed dzai, lowered  zombies, the database is clean and fresh  with only 900 objects. 

Getting fed up with the whole thing now, which is shame considering how well the server is doing, but I'm swiftly running out of patience and can't justify the expense of a dedicated server that runs no better than a hosted one. 

Removed dzms and a few other scripts like welcome credits, dynamic weather, death message images, and it's no better.

im betting it's group management causing it, but I can't remove that as my players would revolt. Other servers seem to run it, so not sure why mine hates me so much.  I can't think what other scripts I have that would use so much resource with each new player.