Overpoch, multiple Servers, One host issue.

Madmick

Question

Hi All,

My clan has recently purchased a dedicated host to run our multiple game servers.

We have an Overpoch Vanilla server running, but I wanted to spin up a second server for dev purposes.

I believed I had everything working, I can launch both Prod and Dev and connect to them fine, but only independently, when one instance starts it will close the other and vice versa.

The setup up is just a copy of the server setup with amendments to the config.cfg to define new ports and amendments to the HiveExt.ini to define a new database name.

Both Databases seem to be running fine, and I am unable to find any error that would suggest why using either server would close the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Madmick said:

This unfortunately did not work, exactly the same result, launch both servers, as soon as you try to connect to one of them once the mission is read then other just closes itself, regardless of which one I try to launch first.

thats strange, thats exactly how im doing it, did you specify separate ports in config.cfg?

There's more that you have to do than change ports... and renaming Arma2oaserver.exe is irrelevant and unnecessary.  I'm at work now but when I get home, I'll look at my various files and let you know all the things you have to change.  Mine works flawlessly - both environments are roughly equivalent (except for what is in development) and my BEC messages are slightly different so anyone on the dev server knows that's where they are.... and I have my dev server password protected since I want to control who has access to the dev instance since I may bring it down at a moment's notice if there is an issue. 

Renaming Arma2oaserver.exe is for BEC to work - IE two servers that have their restarts and whatnot. What errors do you get? Try using your root account for MySQL and see if that works. SQL max connections could be an issue too. I personally use separate databases and separate users and separate directories.

Update,

Renaming the Exe has worked to an extent, although not sure if it was this that made the progress or just the process of startup I used, as below.

I can launch one server have someone connect to load the mission and once fully up and with someone on I can then bring up the Dev instance and connect.

However, whilst the servers are up and live everyone can connect at least once, if they leave they are unable to get back on, and for a few they cannot connect at all.

After authentication they get the Epoch with sounds, I have tried the various fixes out there to absolutely no avail.

There are no pertaining errors in either Server or client side RPTs so I am completely lost as to where to start.

18 hours ago, BigEgg said:

If one is closing, change the steam ports and the port for the server in the start line. If you have the same port, when you join one, the other will close.

Already changed & separate by 100

Server 1

steamport = 2300;
steamqueryport = 2301;

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302

Server 2

steamport = 2400;
steamqueryport = 2401;

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserverdev.exe" -port=2342

Database names are unique but not user or port but I am told by countless people that this is fine.

This is how i run multiple servers., each server has a seperate database but you can link the servers to use 1 database

make a folder for your servers i call mine (servers) C:\servers

inside servers folder i make a folder for 1st server (Cherno)

setup a server inside the cherno folder with these settings install bec

port=2302

steamport = 2303;

steamqueryport = 2304;

Once the first server runs fine then

inside servers folder i make a folder for 2nd server (Lingor)

i copy everything from 1st server and change the instance folder and mpmission to Lingor changing all port settings to different ports

port=2402

steamport = 2403;

steamqueryport = 2404;

Then rename the .bat so i know what server im launching and edit the file paths to the lingor server folder save, launch

then

inside servers folder i make a folder for 3rd server (Namalsk)

i copy everything from either the 1st or 2nd server folder and change the instance folder and mpmission to Namalsk changing all port settings to different ports

port=2502

steamport = 2503;

steamqueryport = 2504;

Then rename the .bat so i know what server im launching and edit the file paths to the Namalsk server folder save, launch

10 hours ago, Madmick said:

Already changed & separate by 100

Server 1

steamport = 2300;
steamqueryport = 2301;

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302

Server 2

steamport = 2400;
steamqueryport = 2401;

start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserverdev.exe" -port=2342

Database names are unique but not user or port but I am told by countless people that this is fine.

You may need to look again over this cause since the patch on 18.December steamports are hardcoded to serverport+1 which means you cant specify 2342 as serverport in the commandline and then set 2401 as querryport in the config:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186695-a2a2oa-patch-18122015/