Really weird disappearance of a heli

KPABATOK

So I know that vehicles still randomly vanish in Epoch, but I thought they disappear before they are actually simulated in a server after restart (unless I was wrong).

Yesterday, placed my chopper on the ground, logged off. Logged in right after server restart, it was raining and I heard raindrops hitting the helicopter outside (this specific sound, I think most people know it) so that's how I knew it was there after restart (but did not visually see it).. And suddenly after like 20 seconds I noticed that this sound stopped. I look outside and my chopper is no longer there (even though it was still raining). It all happened like 5-6 minutes after restart.

How is it possible for a vehicle to disappear like that? The server loaded the vehicle and then decides to delete it out of the blue? Has anyone experienced this and can explain what happened?

Server is pure vanilla, no mods, no scripts.

Edited by KPABATOK

Yes. I had Tempest and HEMTT logged in, they were both gone, then next restart HEMTT reappeared however, again, next restart I logged in and look what happened to my HEMTT. iE64LhX.jpg It was 1 meter from each side of walls and as you can see it had enough room (in my opinion) to simulate. Yet I logged in 5 minutes after restart and found only carcass. I am now fairly certain it is Epoch issue, not Arma 3 (though there was Arma 3 update about same time too...), because it didn't happen in 0.3.3 patch and even earlier.

Vehicles started to spawn damaged (broken wheels) since I played 0.3.4 experimental. And sometimes they spawn in like that, exploded or not spawn in at all. P.S. I also think it is somehow related  to simulation. That's why I build such big garage with high roof and enough space for 2-3 vehicles. Yet still they spawn in and don't get enough room to simulate or something and blow up.

Edited by KPABATOK

• 2 weeks later...

After 0.3.4 we had 2 vehicles side by side that one would have front wheels damaged and the other rear wheel damage... 3 restarts it happened till we decided to move the vehicles and it stopped.

As for the exploding vehicles... happens too often and very annoying and never in my 35 yrs of gaming have I experienced a game where vehicles explode for no reason and vanish into thin air. One would think problems like this would have been ironed out by now. I had all 4 of my vehicles vanish on me a few days ago. The Hummingbird I didn't care about much anyway, but still... the Zamak Transport was only a day old since buying it, Taru was a few days old and what really ticked me off was my Ifrit vanishing since they are only found in the wild and had it for a couple months.

Well I have a strider on one server which is inside tiny tiny garage and it has been there for days not exploded or not even damaged, I really do not quite understand this vehicle simulation thingy upon server start. Like if it was not enough space for a vehicle to simulate, it would get damaged everytime if it is too close to any of walls yet with that strider it just hangs there and doesn't explode. It may also be a server database issues since on certain servers vehicles for me vanish from time to time, on certain not.

Again it is one of those things that is hard or impossible to reproduce just like with the exploding helis which has been fixed (was it? I think it was but never got the memo). Shooting a heli before entering never helped I even tested it many times myself and died like that too. But after recent Arma 3 updates, they no longer explode on entering.

Edited by KPABATOK

• 1 month later...

I know this post is a bit old, but we're seeing this happen as well with current version.  Strider in garage about a day old,  disappeared...at restart.  Not just where it was parked, but completely from the map.  After a scheduled restart...strider respawned but as a charbroil deluxe.  Same thing with another fresh Strider, different garage.  Similar instances with hummingbird and mosquito choppers, but just disappearing. These were within frequency jammer.   

@KPABATOK:  You find any resolution on your end?  Any patterns in logs or redis DB?  Might be time for a DB wipe.

not an admin, just a player. As you see yourself, vehicle sometimes re-appear, but mostly vehicles, I noticed it myself but with that HEMTT which then exploded next restart. Noticed a few times after joining upon server that my heli which is on helipad sometimes spawns (I think simulates correct word here) at the same time as me and it is shifted a little bit to one or the other side in effect clipping my base and then boom.

I imagine they are simulated in the air and then drop to ground. If there is something blocking their path, like roof of a garage, then vehicle won't be simulated or will explode afterwards. If it is a heli, it can shift to either side and if that side has some wall, it will again clip thus destroying the heli. That's all I can gather as someone who is not a programmer and certainly have no idea on what holy written code Bugemia games work.

I said mostly vehicles re-appear because remember one instance where my heli which vanished came back next day magically. I just stopped worrying about cars and helis, as they are all disposable things and plenty of them on the map. I find myself more traveling on foot that in a vehicle anyway.

To add to what Kpabatok says above I understand on server restart all vehicles are first simulated facing north and then shift to their saved position. It is this shift to saved position i beleive that causes an issue with clipping objects and consequent explosions.

Of course if this happens whilst you aren't on and no vehicle or wreckage is there then it will look like it has disappeared or been stolen.

just enable simulation to false and try to make sure when you park what ever car or chopper you have to face it north because there is 2 times it simulates once when the server restarts and of course when it trys to move back as you have left it thats when things go boom but i have fixed that issue to a point just make it false and have you car always face north never fails on me and always works. And also take a look inside your epoch server.ini log if you have some errors there post them and i will help you fix them. Certain ones mean certain things so i need to see them or just come to my teamspeak @ ts.epchpro.com ask for viper i will help any one that needs it in the epoch community or what ever community your in because in the end we are all as one arma 3 makes us hate each other with updates lol

You can try this:

in a3_epoch_server\compile\epoch_vehicle\EPOCH_spawn_vehicle.sqf:

change:

_vehObj = createVehicle[_vehClass, _position, [], 0, _can_collide];

to:

_vehObj = createVehicle[_vehClass, [0,0,0], [], 0, _can_collide];

When you check the complete code, you will see, that the vehicle will be set as follows:

1. Creating Vehicle on the final Position

2. Setting the direction of the Vehicle

3. Setting the final position AGAIN!

By changing the above, you first set the Vehicle to 0,0,0 then set the direction and at least the final position.

Give it a try. I haven't tested it.

Ok well im just wondering i have tested on my servers and my test server just running vanilla epoch, no mods scripts or infi, my gear will disappear but i will have a dan and side pack again even though i have not died loged out in the same postion, but when i go to check the redis player info everything that i actually was suppose to have on is showing in the database but in game nothing any ideas on this, i have checked the epoch server.log for any errors but its clean as a whisle.

Where is your test server at? Sharing database with live servers? Did you edit the epochserver.ini with new instance so it could create new database? But could be a problem with redis not deleting keys but leaving blank arrays. Awol fixed this a few hours ago on experimental. Also if it's just a test server with only you on the server, you may need to increase save times in redis.conf. http://redis.io/commands/config-set

Each server is on a diff dedicated box , including my test server all 3 have different ip each with there own local redis set up on each of the machines. Each have there instance id set properly , just trying to figure out also some players are having the authentication failed issues non stop , only way to fix it is to either A. delete them from the database or go in and remove there weapon from the redis seems to happen on loading player inventory then they get authentication failed. Never had a issue before with the same redis setup and save times , should player save data times be increased.