FIrst time ded server install Q's regarding BE, bisign, and spawn teleport

JCleland

Question

Hi!,

First of all, I really love this mod although it's not secure enough in its current deployment. I've had to take a few steps backward in terms of security to make the epoch.altis mission available and I was wondering if someone could help me out  with the hold-ups.

I'd also like to apologize in advance for duplicate questions. I've been researching this for the past 24 hours before posting questions in an attempt to help myself. 

First of all, this deployment is on a clean windows server install that is hosting another dedicated server successfully. The mods available to the Epoch install are the client and hive. I am using version x.3.3.1, I believe this is the latest release. Instructions followed, passwords and BE configured, DB running and accepting connections. Starting at the top:

1) The first problem I encountered was verifying signatures. This seems to be isolated to dta/* and mark/*. In an attempt to fix this, I tried moving my dta and kart folder contents from client to server (no luck) and then server to client (no luck). Arma doesn't like my signatures for some reason, so I temporarily disabled them in the server config (set verify to 0).

2) I then encountered problems with BE not accepting my bisigns for dta/* and mark/*. I temporarily disabled BE and this solved my problem, but obviously I need to secure the server as much as possible. I was also receiving a  script error #48 which I tracked down in script.txt line 49. Not sure how to fix it, reading up on BE filters. I saw the addhandler in another log file (Sorry, I need to recreate this), but it appeared that this was the script causing the problem. 

3) Finally, while in game on my completely unsecured server :) I found that spawn teleporting is taking a LONG time. In the Epoch demo videos it appears to be rather immediate. For me it takes a few minutes.

4) Forgot one: The game doesn't seem to persist my player state when I exit and rejoin or across server restarts. Or maybe it doesn't??? Should statistics be preserved? This may be expected behavior but asking me to choose a gender each join makes me wonder. Is there a commit process that should take place regularly on the DB side?

Thank you for taking the time to read this novel. Again, I'm sure there are answers to some of these questions but I'm having a hard time finding solutions to my exact problems. I can provide the name of the eventhandler function being added that is puking BE script.txt, I'm guessing I just need to verify that it's safe and add it to the filter.The DB is up and responding however and the game seems to run as expected. I'm really looking forward to deploying a dedicated server for arma 3 Epoch, the mod seems outstanding. Great work guys, you continue to make arma a more and more interesting platform through mods and the like. I would also love to get involved in the project if possible, this is the kind of work I do in my spare time (albeit not nearly as extensive and flat out cool :)

Sincerely,

James Cleland

2 answers to this question

First of all, I really love this mod although it's not secure enough in its current deployment.

You're responsible for securing your server, when up and running only the mission file in MPMissions is sent to the client, you send and they recieve, nothing insecure about that, no idea where you got that idea from.

1- The files have to be in the same location, make a folder and call it 'Epoch', then copy the Arma 3 server files inside (You don't neeed a full game install, just the server files), this becomes your root folder.

2- Use the latest BE filters with the Epoch server files, you won't have any kicks unless you're adding 3rd mods/scripts.

3- Time it takes things to happen depends on your server spec, although a poor setup with errors won't help, an RPT log posted on Pastebin will shed light

4- Everything is saved, your health, location etc unless your database isn't working, check the info in redis.confg matches EpochServer.ini

Good luck