Epoch A3 - My opinions

Just_R

Ok so I've played a good bulk of hours on Epoch/A3 and Exile/A3.  

- Exile is easy mode.  you start with bambi protection.  If you die, you don't lose anything, besides whats on your body.  Any monetary gains are kept.  

- Epoch not easy mode unless a sever owner like my little ponies. debug monitor: take cues from Exile.  you run out of energy running... again take cues from Exile.  "auto run" take cues, from Exile.

I won't play Exile because its WAY too easy to be OP in one day.  I had a strider before my 3rd hour. 5th hour, had a base locked down and two striders. pointless.  Epoch put me off with that whole run mechanics. I'm not doing a walking simulator. Did the whole DayZ sneaker-net. . . not doing it again.

Currently put-off on any mods that are running on A3. I wrote this on the Exile forums as well. Long as A2 is alive its better game play.  How amazing would A3 have been if they just updated the A2 visual engine along with using multi-cores. B.I., no words.  

SADLY epoch servers have low numbers, basing this off of the A3 launcher while EASY @#$@# mode Exile is full of people.  I know all the "I want to impress the Devs" people will flame me but... no care is given. 

honey_badger_don__t_care_by_gatorvenom-d

I didn't take your feedback as negative. However you are trying to compare a mod that is well past it's 1.0 live launch, to a mod that is still in Alpha.

At this point Epoch for Arma 3 is still in testing phase. You're more than welcome to help if you want. We push the experimental build to Steam Workshop and have a server that anyone can test on. 

Server IP: 192.99.21.102

Port: 2302

Just make sure all other Epoch versions are removed or disabled and enable the Experimental build via the default launcher.

PS: If you thought running in Epoch is bad you should try default Arma without Epochs stamina system.

Edited by Axle

Kind of unrelated question but why does steam workshop seem to download Epoch mod for me twice? When I subscribed to it, I had 12 GB free space and after it downloaded Epoch for me, I got 9.5 GB or so left. When I install Epoch manually it always takes 1.3 GB space as it should but with workshop I noticed it eats up 2.7 or so GB (though the mod itself in /arma3/ directory takes 1.3GB just that my overall space gets lower once I open default Arma 3 launcher). Why is that? Yes, I have limited SSD space but even that's not a problem just curious why is that. I would love to test Experimental if it is already online and everything.

Now on topic, I agree with most what Just_R have said, except Epoch stamina system, it works great and in my opinion it is even too easy to get high stamina. It is far far from running simulator like DayZ SA is for example. Epoch has many vehicles across the map (and you can buy them for cheap too) and every drink you find in loot raises your stamina almost instantly, I can't seem to understand how some people find it problematic. Compared to default Arma 3 stamina, that one is truly hardcore and Epoch devs improved it (made it easier but still fun to play). Majority of Epoch servers are, for the most part, babymode carebear servers with start gear, black markets, 10 heli crashes with 10 guns each and no death tax and on top of that you have also high loot and such new servers pop up almost every day. For me playing on MGT is no different than playing on any random Exile server. Just not fun when you have everything handled to you on silver platter. But seems like most people like this easy mode. The same will happen with DayZ SA when developers allow modding of servers, no more diseases and probably no zombies, just good ol PVP all around.

People also lost interest in Epoch not because it had any huge problems but because new mod arrived, and that's perfectly fine. It should even out over the 3-6 months or maybe a year.

Edited by KPABATOK

Kind of unrelated question but why does steam workshop seem to download Epoch mod for me twice? When I subscribed to it, I had 12 GB free space and after it downloaded Epoch for me, I got 9.5 GB or so left. When I install Epoch manually it always takes 1.3 GB space as it should but with workshop I noticed it eats up 2.7 or so GB (though the mod itself in /arma3/ directory takes 1.3GB just that my overall space gets lower once I open default Arma 3 launcher). Why is that? Yes, I have limited SSD space but even that's not a problem just curious why is that. I would love to test Experimental if it is already online and everything.

when you download mod from workshop it is stored in this location -steam/steamapps/workshop/content/  and when you start arma mod will copy/update from workshop/content to your A3 folder - that means yes,it its stored twice

Edited by SzepyCZ

Exile isn't past 1.0 yet afaik

and Epoch with its "its still alpha" politics will most likely never reach beta...

after all this time... still alpha?

what are you trying to make here? dayz reloaded?

you have to admit you have bet on the wrong horse by choosing redis instead of extdb for mysql and such things...

redis was shit... redis is shit... and i dont need to say what redis ever will be...

also the building system which kills you so many fucking times... still alpha is no excuse...

If a concrete wall falls on you, it usually kills you. What's the problem, too much realism? :D Seems like last time you played Epoch was in 2.5.2 patch and have no idea how much it improved over those months. There is no physics mode, the only thing that can kill you is Arma 3 and/or combined with player's own stupidity. Last time I died building a base was 6 months ago when I forgot to use HOME button to push the item away from me and only then turn it around. I bet this was how most people died but even that was not a problem. It is a matter of getting good, and practicing building, because this isn't minecraft, but a game who wants to be at least somewhat realistic.

still alpha is no excuse.

yes and making stupid mistakes when one is building isn't excuse either. No hardcore game is supposed to hold your hand and prevent people from failing. There is no physics mode anymore, so only another player can kill you now if you build a base in Pyrgos or something :D

Seems like last time you played Epoch was in 2.5.2 patch and have no idea how much it improved over those months. There is no physics mode, the only thing that can kill you is Arma 3 and/or combined with player's own stupidity. Last time I died building a base was 6 months ago when I forgot to use HOME button to push the item away from me and only then turn it around.

you know... if you get killed by something so stupid so many times... you lose interest some day...

and yes... i havent played epoch for a few months now... because it doesnt give me anything anymore

and no.. i havent quit after 1 hour playing... we tried to make this shit right for a long time... and always the same stuff...get killed by stupid things...

have you ever been lifting off with a woodfloor about 120 meters up in the air? no? then you dont know what you are talking about^^

you know... if you get killed by something so stupid so many times... you lose interest some day...

and yes... i havent played epoch for a few months now... because it doesnt give me anything anymore

and no.. i havent quit after 1 hour playing... we tried to make this shit right for a long time... and always the same stuff...get killed by stupid things...

have you ever been lifting off with a woodfloor about 120 meters up in the air? no? then you dont know what you are talking about^^

well usually people tend to learn from stupid mistakes and not make them in a future, especially in games like this. I died handful of times on 0.2.5.2 patch while building base until I learned about useful function to use "HOME" button to move items away from me while I move them around and also never stand in front of building parts after I placed them in case they fall on me and kill me. But I still kept forgetting that and died and can only blame myself. I assumed it was part of the game, to be cautious, you know :D

These are just learning things, through trial and error. A game wouldn't be a game if it didn't kill you once in a while for acting too recklessly. You should try 0.3.3.1 patch if you haven't played for a few months. I haven't ever died building a base since 0.3.0.3 patch when ghost snapping appeared, so most of your concerns now are solved. It is almost all dummy proof, no physics (except for jammer, shelf, lockboxes). And upcoming 0.3.4 patch gonna be even better though building itself haven't changed from previous patch, only new awesome user interface and it takes a few seconds to craft any building part, no more instant crafting.

have you ever been lifting off with a woodfloor about 120 meters up in the air?

in fact I was, over the first week of me playing Epoch and learning building, I managed to lift myself 100 meters in the air with wooden floor, I even took screenshots and posted here on forum. Most amazing experience and it happened only once, though I could reproduce it, but just learned from my mistakes. And building changed since then a lot. No more flying with woodfloors, since, as I said, no more physics. Which I miss a little bit.