Old Client Version (v1.42 linux) connections

Swash

Question

I have a couple questions for the linux love crowd.

1. Can I run epoch to allow older client versions? Specifically v1.42, the current version of the linux beta client.

Would "requiredBuild = xxxxx;" in the config work? If so anyone happen know the build number for the 1.42 linux client?

2. Does epoch require battleye? Does it effect admin tools or anything?

Now yes I understand the importance of battleye and would normally never run without it, however since there is no battleye for the linux client (yet),

importance is placed on actually playing above security for now.

I also know connecting old clients can have unexpected results, but again, we just want to play on our favorite os.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

4 answers to this question

im not sure why you are saying there is no battleye for the current linux server, my linux server runs perfectly fine using battleye.

my guess is you are confused about battleye and bec perhaps?

bec will obviusly not work with linux because it was created for windows only, however there are some php scripts floating around that you can use to send messages or be commands to the server, you can then create a cron jobs that runs them at certain intervals with diffrent messages or commands.

to answer your questions:

1. i doubt it, steam auto updates clients and im unsure if its even possible to roll back to earlier versions, not to mention i belive the server would automaticly refuse older versions.
  2. epoch does not require battleye, but the admin tools uses it for diffrent tasks like ban/kick send messages and more, i think the admin tools will work without, but some features  depending on battleye will for obvius reasons not work without it.

im not sure why you are saying there is no battleye for the current linux server, my linux server runs perfectly fine using battleye.

my guess is you are confused about battleye and bec perhaps?

bec will obviusly not work with linux because it was created for windows only, however there are some php scripts floating around that you can use to send messages or be commands to the server, you can then create a cron jobs that runs them at certain intervals with diffrent messages or commands.

to answer your questions:

1. i doubt it, steam auto updates clients and im unsure if its even possible to roll back to earlier versions, not to mention i belive the server would automaticly refuse older versions.
  2. epoch does not require battleye, but the admin tools uses it for diffrent tasks like ban/kick send messages and more, i think the admin tools will work without, but some features  depending on battleye will for obvius reasons not work without it.

I was talking linux "client", which does not have battleye, so the server has to run without battleye to allow linux clients in. The linux client also runs 1.42 and makes it a pain to tried to get a server working for it (windows or linux).

no battleye for the linux client (yet)

This was not a fun project.... trying to match old client to server and get them to play nice with legacy epoch..

I scrapped it and decided I will just hope for a match version linux client and if we are lucky a linux client battleye too.