whats the difference?

Dactyl

Question

I have a few noobly questions:

• What is the difference between a dedicated server and a not dedicated server?
  • What would i need to set up a server that would still run events even without anyone logged on?
  • What maps can I play Arma 3 Epoch on?

I had an Arma 2 Epoch server on my machine some years ago and I wish to do the same with Arma 3. I have looked at a few guides, including the one in the Epoch Wiki (wasn't able to get steamcmd working), and they all seem to advocate different methods. Any advice and points in the right directions are appreciated. 

6 answers to this question

A dedicated server means you have all the resources available on that machine, a VPS shares a dedicated servers resources and a GSP hosts multiple games on 1 dedicated server.

You would need a host, either dedicated, VPS or GSP, depends on your budget and how many players/scripts you want, more resources needed the more the server should have.

Supported maps can be found here with more coming, I'm porting Lingor but a lack of testers slows the releases.

Anything else just reply.

A dedicated server means you have all the resources available on that machine, a VPS shares a dedicated servers resources and a GSP hosts multiple games on 1 dedicated server.

You would need a host, either dedicated, VPS or GSP, depends on your budget and how many players/scripts you want, more resources needed the more the server should have.

Supported maps can be found here with more coming, I'm porting Lingor but a lack of testers slows the releases.

Anything else just reply.

I was wanting to use lingor specifically, or australia, and on my pc for friends so free would be my budget. 

when i type the commands (steamcmd.exe +login username password +force_install_dir "c:Arma3Server" +app_update 233780 validate +quit) it does nothing, and if i dont leave a space at the beginning it gives me the "steamcmd.exe command not found" error. so im kinda stuck on one of the first steps. I know it is probably something stupid and elementary that I am overlooking. I will definitely jump on lingor soon. 

Edited by Dactyl