Has everyone really gone to exile?

dnk_paul

Hey All,

Is it because it's new? Because it's different?

It seems like the forum is dead. Questions aren't being answered. Questions aren't being asked even! I just had a look at the 'New content' page, and there are only 2 threads on there!

There must be someone alive out there still! Or have the zombies (or antagonists in A3) got you all now?

Paul

Exile is brilliantly hard and unforgiving. It has a brilliant trader system. It would be of no surprise if people left Epoch to play Exile. 

The Epoch team have told us the best is yet to come. So I'd say you'll see an ebb and flow of players between the two mods for some time to come. 

The two mods in competition will only further excellence of both,  whether you think they're in competition or not. And long may that continue. 

Exile is brilliantly hard and unforgiving. It has a brilliant trader system. It would be of no surprise if people left Epoch to play Exile. 

The Epoch team have told us the best is yet to come. So I'd say you'll see an ebb and flow of players between the two mods for some time to come. 

The two mods in competition will only further excellence of both,  whether you think they're in competition or not. And long may that continue. 

Two different mods. The only thing in common is the basebuilding aspect.and few crafting similarity's. Exile has no outside threat other then other players They do have a nice UI, I give them that. But other then that I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

I am without my gaming rig so cannot play anything myself, but this has allowed me to inform myself a little, by reading forums and watching streams, particularly new dev SteamPunkGears.

If you catch him you will more than likely see models for new build assets come to life and he talks about what is next in his project list. So teases the viewer. Highly recommend watching what is coming from him and the devs.

Whilst not having played Exile I see nothing  in it to excite me personally and their supposed openness to community ideas seems to be if you want something, script it or put an add on in.  Nice framework but where is the painting?  

Well as a server owner/developer having experience with both mods, I can say that at the dev level the Exile folks have gone a long way to make it very easy for people to create, run and develop their server.  Pretty much everything is open-ended and editable, allowing people to add their own flavor and flair to their servers, which is something that Epoch was, unit recently, sorely lacking.  Exile's server performance is top notch as well.  Hopefully Epoch can match all that on the 0.4 release.  Oh and btw, Exile runs on MySQL, which is just a Godsend if you ask me.  It's nice to be able to run the server and not have to worry about database crashes negating all player progress.  ;)  

From a player standpoint, I tend to agree that Exile is the "flavor of the month".  It's new and people want to check it out.  How long they stay is dependent on how the next update goes, as far as new mod features, added stability to account for the recent Arma patch, and how quickly said update is released.  I'd say it will keep a dedicated following on whatever servers can manage to keep things interesting, but after a while you will have some players who prefer Epoch and others who prefer Exile.

And let's not forget, there are still other mods coming soon, like 2017.  And DayZ SA will be releasing server files sometime this winter (supposedly).  So as others have said, the traffic will come and go as the mods and other games are released.  

Two different mods. The only thing in common is the basebuilding aspect.and few crafting similarity's. Exile has no outside threat other then other players They do have a nice UI, I give them that. But other then that I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

I never compared them, but they are comparable when you look at them and their features.

Looting based economy.

Base building with controlled territory (jammer/flag) .

Crafting and cooking.

Group ability.

Open world.

Apart from armless walking bombs and entrancing cloaks, they're piratically identical.....IMO. 

Exile has some very nice features, though over all I do not like the basic idea of it and some bad features that would annoy me a lot, like notifications, sounds, changing brightness etc. I do not play in such Epoch servers either.

Being said that, now I think these mods are quite different. They do not have antagonists for one, base building may be easier there but other aspect - not to my taste, just like highly over modded Epoch/Wasteland server. Currently do not even have any interest on trying it out myself, just watched some streams.

Edited by KPABATOK

What threats does A3/Epoch really have besides players? I understand the lack of zombies (due to BI trying to kill everything) but the antagonists aren't really a challenge.  Mind you I haven't tried EXILE (yet) but I have played around with A3E went back to A2E. . .  

No, don't remove post. All threads are locked :D

So I downloaded Exile today. Played for 30 minutes and uninstalled. The reason is simple - I felt nauseous after those brightness changes, camera view and whole handling driving a bicycle and especially NOTIFICATIONS. If any devs of Exile reading this - what where you thinking? Seriously? Why would someone think it is great idea to have audio notifications every damn second: oops, left safezone - BLIMPT, loot has spawned for you - BLIMPT - entered safezone - BLIMPT - left safezone - BLIMPT. Loot has spawned for you buddy! Here's is a well known sound file in case you didn't hear it 100 times before - BLIMPT.

It has some very nice features as a mod, it has some bad things, but those stupid notifications which I haven't found how to turn it off (it should be off by default actually) are a new level of annoying and just immersion breaking. Though Epoch have building notification icon which was annoying at first (hope devs remove it in a future) but at least it doesn't play a damn sound file when you open or lock the door. Well except the actual sound of locking/unlocking.

Even if those notifications are just placeholder, they are still too annoying to even play for 10 minutes. I lasted 30.

I felt E-FLOP has gone in the wrong direction and executed a couple of gamebreaking things badly, and Exile has come along looked at all them things and listened to what the community wanted and sorted it, and gave us something that already feels more polished and complete.

you can't be serious. Compared to Exile, basic Epoch is the most hardcore and most survivalist mod I have ever seen on Arma 3. You can find a gun practically anywhere on Exile, it is just yet another wasteland clone. Not saying devs didn't put much effort and time in it. As I said, it has nice features (a few but nonetheless), but the gamebreaking features, to me at least, is those default notifications, easy to find guns, traders who have every possible item (even though I liked that at least the prices were pretty decently managed). How is that different from blackmarket trader script on Epoch servers?

Overall, if some people want just pvp mod with high loot, there are tons of Epoch servers like that too, actually, there are literally like 2 or 3 vanilla Epoch servers left, all the rest have stupid blackmarket, ground loot, stupid context menu or "~" menu made into nonsense (you want to open debug, you get "insert earplugs!!!" instead and show sticky finger!

It was the case where high grade guns spawned in Epoch everywhere, now it is much better, I think even containers should be nerfed from guns and lockboxes too. Talking about Exile - it has absolutely no resemblance to Epoch just like 99 percent of current Epoch servers I no longer consider Epoch since they look like Wasteland with Epoch mod on top.

But that's just my personal preference, of course kids want babycore Arma 3, so they "voted" for a mod with all the hard work removed and placed everything on the golden platter, kids want guns on every corner and want to be notified when loot spawns for them because people are too stupid to know that and look for loot. It has same effect like any current game with glowing items on the ground because less intelligent people would have no idea that they can pick up things! Only when it is glowing bright yellow or white color - it means you should pick it up! Wow what gaming became into. And I wouldn't complain if it wasn't Arma. It is no longer seems like arma.

Edited by KPABATOK

I haven't but then again. . . I haven't played much A3:Epoch either.  "X" does seem interesting.  Far as loot everywhere I am sure that's tweakable like with every mod. I bounce around on the A3:Epoch forums its far from dead.

side note: Who would want to play SA? I'd rather put my time into A3/E/X verses that...."program".

This is good for Epoch isnt it? all the kids went to Exile and all the Adults are still on Epoch. "irony off"

says the guy with the tag forum name "kid". . . 

People go to any new hyped game or mod, it was same with H1z1 it is the same with Exile. Though at least Exile is based on Arma 3 so it isn't shit unlike H1Z1 or any other "EA surival game" outhere, but that's not the point.

People get bored quickly and look for another new attraction. I tried Exile, didn't like it (and I knew I won't like it before it was released because of how much it looked like my hated heavy modded Epoch servers). Of course I haven't experienced all the fun features it has, but it was enough to notice bad things for me to quit. Not a bad mod just not my taste.

• raymix locked this topic