What would you like to see in a new server?

Xemeriba

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on starting a new Epoch server on a dedicated SSD and wanted to put out some feelers for what kind of content players want to see on a server.

To gather this information, I have put together a few strawpolls with some options that I and my server staff could think of. If there is an addon or map you have an interest in, but do not see in the polls, please feel free to post it in the thread (with a short description if you'd like for clarification).

Server Addons (Please choose your 3 favorite options)

Server Uptime (How often should restarts happen?)

Server Map (If there is a map not listed you prefer, please post it below)

Thank you for any feedback you can provide, as all of it will help us create a better server experience for you, the player.

Hi

The best thing what u can do (thats my thinking) is to setup a server for your own likings !

If you setup the server only for others wishes, you soon don´t have fun at administrate it.

I think the server should good for yourself, thats the secret. Whats the reason to use 2 sappers, but you like only 1 sapper (just for example).

But the very important thing is: the server should running smooth and lagfree, thats what people mainly wnat to see ;)

cheers

Thanks for the advice Sp4rkY.

I have fun with any server on Epoch, providing there aren't game-breaking donation benefits. I ran a few Arma 2 Epoch servers with wildly different addons and it was a blast as long as the playerbase was happy.

Oh, I waited for this kind of thread for ages. Sorry for my language in advance. Here's what you should not do:

No intro music. Such servers are very very very bad. First, people choose the loudest and the most retarded songs, impossible to hear anything around you (this is survival game, come one). And it seems like an owner is 12 years old too.

No stupid black market traders. They are retarded invention and only turns Epoch into wasteland. I checked server list, and top 30 servers have these stupid traders. Those servers suck no matter how many players they have.

No messed up prices at traders. Leave them default or there will be no point in selling/buying anything since a fricking gun costs 800 krypto and helicopter 35k. I have seen such servers. They suck.

No random AI. Epoch antagonist spawns should be left at default too. If server is PVP, then random AI is just annoying bullshit.

No hogged up context menu with bullshit. It is a pain in the ass already to use mouse scroll wheel when you want to open/close a door and accidentally hit "pick up hatchet" or something. And then some admins have a nerve to include some server info bullshit into it, earplugs which are not necessary unless you are flying a heli, re-arm and other useless crap. Just don't mess with context menu and avoid such stupid addons.

No 10 different missions just hogging up the map. Nobody does them, and if someone does, then there is no need to have 3 different convoys and 5 different bandit camps. 2 missions or 3 (if you have over 50 people playing on your server) is more than enough.

No tanks. I think it self-explanatory. Armed striders/ifrits are ok, I think, as long as they cost a ton (or even better not sellable) and there are only 2 or 3 on the map. Either way, it will require re-arm script and if the only addon which does it is through context menu, then don't.

No stupid rules, like "forbidden to protect your heli with stud walls" (yeah, I've seen a server like that).

No ground loot. Absolutely unnecessary, loot spawns in Epoch just fine, it is meant to be hardcore, not babycore.

No helicrash script. Most servers that have them made it into nonsense, like 10 navids 5 cyruses in one helicrash.. just stupid. I think if you know how, then just edit it to have no more than 2-3 crashes per restart and 1 random weapon per heli crash.

and last but not least - do not mess with Epoch default values, prices, loot spawning, AI spawning etc. I've seen many fucked up servers where admins have no idea what's happening and I am tired of explaining it to them, so I just quit. Some servers have so many scripts/addons that everything is so messed up, you get kicked/banned for no reason, and it repeats itself, so... if you have no idea what you are doing and not checking out the mods yourself, then your players gonna leave after a while. I changed like 3 servers over a week.

Best Epoch is the one left as intact as possible. Few missions ok, earplugs, as long as they are OPT IN, not opt out, are ok too (hate turning them off everytime I am in a car. I has to be always opt in). Halo spawn is nice too.

Currently playing in a server with 6 hour restarts and it is great. 3 hours day, 2,5 hours night and 30 minutes early morning. Good FPS, I see no reason to have such frequent restarts every 3 hours. And at least 1 hour night is a must. Playing in a day is too boring. People want to be able to use NVG too.

P.S. and your poll is bad. I would not like to see ANY of those things. Why should I choose 3? Should have thought about it more :) Donator perks, heh, unless you are MGT, you gonna have a bad time receiving donations.

Edited by KPABATOK

@KPABATOK

First of all, this is no attacking against you, just my thinking:

But it seems like you are only a player and want to play at vanilla servers. At least it looks like when i read your post.

Anyway, iam at the following point:

a) Each to his own...

and

b) For me, i host a server for only one reason: I have fun at scripting and i want to see the results of it.

If i would host a server like u said, it wouldnt make sense to spent money in a hoster or something.... Then i could just go play at any server which i like. But exactly this is the point. I dont want to play, i have fun in setting up things and create some scripts u know?

Ofcourse some admins should keep an eye at players wishes but at first it should be a satisfaction for the admin itself.

But in some cases i agree with you:

No intro music. Such servers are very very very bad. First, people choose the loudest and the most retarded songs, impossible to hear anything around you (this is survival game, come one). And it seems like an owner is 12 years old too.

No hogged up context menu with bullshit.

No ground loot.

But for example, why no Blackmarkets ? You dont have to do anything more and they dont punish your Redis database anymore.

You also could setup traders as it was in DayZ, Vehicle Trader, Weapon Trader and so on.... There are many possibilities....

Random AI i dont like too, but some missions should be, because if there are less peoples at the server which dont want to fight against, missions are usefull, otherwise it will fast go in the direction of boredom.

We all should keep in mind, this Mod isnt final at all and nobody knows which final course it will take.

If i could, i would insert zombies like in DayZ again and bring back the game into a survival direction, but ok, we are at 2035 and it has a science fiction story, so i can agree with the antagonists which are part of the game.

Like i said, this should not be a disrespectful post, just my thinking about the game and decisions of server owners.

cheers :)

Do you want as many people as possible? Make it as easy as possible. Give them starting gear and money and everything. Hell offer them prizes and make a website that puts up really cool stats of the players, and they will flock to you. Make your website green or red, and definitely make a money shop. Give yourself an acronym like OBD or FYI, etc. - 

I agree with sparky up top. Build the server how you want it and add bits to it which you want to do. At the end of the day, you'll likely be spending more time on it than anyone else will.

We have a PVE server, not PVP so having things like missions and having roaming AI is what makes it more interesting.

Also, I think the map all depends on how many players you have. For example, we used Australia a few weeks ago, but for the amount of players we had online most of the time it was just far too big and took forever to get from one side of the map to the other.

@KPABATOK

First of all, this is no attacking against you, just my thinking:

But it seems like you are only a player and want to play at vanilla servers. At least it looks like when i read your post.

Yes, I want to play in Vanilla servers. However, I explained my reasons why I have a problem with modded servers, at least when it comes to changing default Epoch values and adding bullshit into context menu. Sure, random AI is to each his own, same with heli crashes with 10 navids and ground loot etc. But there are things, that I think are worse objectively and I think I explained it the best I could why those things suck. And OP asked for opinions anyway, so I just shared mine. No offense taken or anything. I am just fed up with Epoch servers. If Epoch gonna die, it will die because of stupid server owners.

P.S. About black markets, at first I thought the idea is great, but when I played a while I realized that it just does not fit into Epoch. Again, to each his own, some people love it, some ignore it, but I personally can not ignore it, especially when all TOP 30 servers have black markets. Just personal preference, I think Epoch is just fine the way it is, and adding more loot isn't doing any good.

Edited by KPABATOK

Yes yes, u´re right at all. I only gave my response.

But you know what i meant, when i say "if i (as serveradmin) would run a pure vanilla server, then i wouldnt need a root, gameserver or something similar." Then i could go play at any existing server and quit the scripting action. :)

Every player has other opinions and thats why u cant make to all surely. And for my thinking, expect a few servers (u all know which), no Epoch server will stay constantly at a top ranking for a long time.

I also don´t like servers with startgear and groundloot or something else. In this point i completely agree with u.

cheers

Yeah, start gear servers are the worst :D Surely I well understand that someone people like dying and running back to their bodies already having guns to defend themselves, but on the other hand, I think that admins do not even ask opinion of the players, they just introduce stuff and people just accept it. If there was a vote, I really doubt most people would vote for ground loot, and that's kinda a point, such servers are just personal playground for admins and their two friends. When I found about Epoch, I was looking for servers with ground loot, I think I even asked about it in a forum, now I am looking for those who don't have it because learned to appreciate the constant grinding and scavenging in Epoch.

Over the past few months, all vanilla Epoch servers with SEM and maybe earplugs, are long gone and I wouldn't complain if there was at least one or two in top 30 (which means they have some players playing). If I had money and enough interest, I would set the server myself, but I know very well that I would be the only one playing there.

Same at me, i dont count on it that i get many players or a top 3 ranking like it was. It has become no matter for me. ;)

I do it because i have fun with it.

Startgear is the biggest bullshit ever. So we can go play Call of Duty or Battlefield :D

The sense of the game is dying and start from the beginning (expect the base-building).

Earplugs i think it makes sense, because the helicopters are just too loud. There are a few ways how this is integrated. You can do an option for the player, so he can decide it for himself when activate/deactivate it. Or via query for helicopters and eventhandlers, so the player doesnt have to do anything. ;)

But to completely understand a players thinking, i should have to take the time and go just playing at some servers for a week. ;)

Certainly that is no fun for me, hehe.

(hope my english is nearly possible to understand :D )

Epoch should clearly define various items in-game that are classified : Hard-2-get

As it is right now there is nothing that is hard to get so players go on a server... do all that epoch offers and get bored really quickly and quite and go do something else.

I remember back in my Origins days.. NVG's were very rare and sought after. 

Epoch doesn't have any rare items 

Totally agree, Brez. However, even if NVGs for example were rare, 99 percent of servers are 24/7 day time anyway. But I see your point, sometimes even now it is too easy to get high end rifles, but I hope devs will tweak it a little bit more on the way. My main problem, as I said before, is with the server owners. Epoch would be fine and hardcore enough if server owner's didn't make it into baby mode with start gear, traders who have every item on the game, daylight 24/7 and other nonsense that just seems out of place.

As for loot spawning, compared to what was before, it is obvious to me, that it is getting improved every patch, so at least the devs of a mod do not think of an Epoch as those server owner's who want to play COD in Arma 3 style.

Edited by KPABATOK