Sapper-Free Bases

Scorpi

At the bottom of your init.sqf, add the following:

[] execVM "custom\sapper_SafeArea.sqf";

Now, create a folder in the same directory as your mission's init.sqf called "custom".  Within that folder, create a new file called "sapper_SafeArea,sqf" with the following contents:

//---------------------------------------------------------------------
// Epoch Base Safe Area
//---------------------------------------------------------------------

while {true} do {
    sleep 2;
    _nearPole = nearestObject [position player, "PlotPole_EPOCH"];
    if !(isNull _nearPole) then {
        {
            deleteVehicle _x;
        } forEach ((getPosATL _nearPole) nearEntities [["Epoch_SapperB_F","Epoch_Sapper_F"], 150]);
    };
}; 

Cheers

That code is inefficient for a small endless while loop, you are storing values that will not be used elsewhere.

Also that is the weirdest way to clear vehicle array i've ever seen :)

Here:

//forEach could be replaced with count for more performance since indexing is not required, but needs testing
while {true} do {
	sleep 2;
	_nearPole = nearestObject [position player, "PlotPole_EPOCH"];
	if !(isNull _nearPole) then {
		{
			deleteVehicle _x;
		} forEach ((getPosATL _nearPole) nearEntities [["Epoch_SapperB_F","Epoch_Sapper_F"], 150]);
	};
}; 

I actually like it when the "Armless Wanderers" come to play at my house in the hills.

Why would you not want to have a visitor that will reward you for ending their miserable existence?

Some script I have seen are making the mod far too easy for players.

PS, good to see "the raymix" commenting on A3 forums again  ;)

Stench

There are situations which are just annoying. You want to build up your house and you are grabbing some walls and just in this moment you get killed by a sapper.

We accept this for the first two or three times but if you get killed by a fat sapper over and over again you probably get angry, so we just wanna build in peace without sappers who glitch through the walls.

I understand where you're coming from, but in that instance if you feel the need to build in peace you should have a buddy or two in overwatch positions to keep the nasties at a distance or least alert you to a nearby threat.

Difficult for the lone wolf I know but they have other instincts that change their gameplay to their advantage.

Stench

• 1 month later...

Hello.

And wouldn't it be great to breath new life in the Sumrak's bloodsuckers?

I'm sure he'll be fine with it.

That will most likely never happen unless author contributes fully ready and asset him/herself.
You can't redistribute other people's work no matter what it is just by saying "it'll be fine", ya know :P

That will most likely never happen unless author contributes fully ready and asset him/herself.
You can't redistribute other people's work no matter what it is just by saying "it'll be fine", ya know :P

I have actually been given permission by Sumrak to do what I want with the bloodsuckers, he has even given me the source files for them and the mutant zombies from Namalsk so that I can attempt to make them work in Arma 3. I am attempting to do this now. I'm no modeler so it will take me some time to work it all out, but if I can get it figured out I will release it. Editing a server is one thing, using Oxygen and getting this compatible with Arma 3 is another, but I am determined.

bloodsucker.jpg

If you have arma 3 tools (which you should), look at sample folder on a P drive, it contains some source files for most configs, hope you'll find what you are looking for there. Other than that, there isn't really that many differences. Good luck with the project

@axman @raymix @vbawol @axle

Sappers.. as my son ( 13 ) calls them splodie men.. are a blast ( pun intended ) I have actually taken out a few players in cities, using these as walking running bombs .. get them all fired up .. on the verge of going to pieces, and get a player to chase you lol ..then run past the Sapper . and let the player behind you take the full damage.. lots of fun..

what would be really cool .. ( HINT HINT ) would be allow you to have a chance at taming them .. use them to hunt down players say within a range of your base.. hiding in bushes.. then run up and suicide the players snooping around your base. Taming them for say till restart ..and only a small chance to tame less than 10% .. have the sapper stop and stand there for a few seconds.. scroll to select tame or some such action ..or emit the green or change to a white smoke while standing during the tame time period. 

That way you will take some poison damage to tame, but you have a moving bomb that only attacks players not associated with your plot group or owner.

Or fun for the server admin as well .. add them to a static mission.. along with AI

This way you get to make the occasional sapper pest .. give you a chance to be useful to you !

Edited by Chainsaw Squirrel

what would a Sapper like to 'eat' to tame him? We certainly wouldn't want to go down the route of using a scrollable menu.

IMO the game mechanics should happen naturally, like with the dog. You drop food, he eats it and then assumes the nearest player has fed him, instant buddy :)

Menus are immersion breakers.

I have actually been given permission by Sumrak to do what I want with the bloodsuckers, he has even given me the source files for them and the mutant zombies from Namalsk so that I can attempt to make them work in Arma 3. I am attempting to do this now. I'm no modeler so it will take me some time to work it all out, but if I can get it figured out I will release it. Editing a server is one thing, using Oxygen and getting this compatible with Arma 3 is another, but I am determined.

I wish you luck, i died many times to them bastards !

I'd love to encounter them again, they were a real threat, plenty experts here to help you out.

what would a Sapper like to 'eat' to tame him? We certainly wouldn't want to go down the route of using a scrollable menu.

A bag of liquid nanobots!!

There will be changes to action menu soon, trying to stay away from addAction as a thing, something much cooler is in works

I have no problems with not scrolling .. just was going off past ways of doing lol ... what about a sheep's leg.. they do look hungry :) or get really evil.. kill that barking dog and feed it to the sapper lol .. I once had a dog barking at me .. gave my position away .. almost got me killed.. if i fired at the dog player would have heard the shot .. but in the end I killed the player and the dog lol

Oh another idea .. if you could set a position on the map for the sapper to target or patrol .. like enemy base etc .. of course you would first need to tame the sapper, and have a gps unit on you to send the gihad sapper in to  blow up the enemy lol

Edited by Chainsaw Squirrel

I wish you luck, i died many times to them bastards !

I'd love to encounter them again, they were a real threat, plenty experts here to help you out.

I may just take you up on that offer my friend. As you can see I've already constructed him completely in Oxygen 2, I had to remove some old proxies that were organic to ARMA 1 & 2 and have to substitute with ones from ARMA 3, that shouldn't be difficult at all. Once I put them in game I need to see how the animations play out, I have a feeling I will need to do some adjusting with that but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The next step for me is making the sounds work, in Namalsk the bloodsuckers play their sounds via rSAY and call RE, well we know that does not work in ARMA 3, so I have to come up with another way to play their sounds and I don't want to use EH's. So far, I can only get units to produce sounds locally on the clients machine, I need to find a way to broadcast them on the server so they are sync'd, don't really care about JIP for these but if I could do that too it would be cool. I'm sure I can modify the follow and attack scripts without much difficulty. So yea, I'm moving right along.

EDIT: Well going through the blood_follow.sqf I can see that calling other scripts or performing animations also uses call RE, example:

[nil, _mut_target, rEXECVM, "\nst\ns_modules\mutants\scripts\blood_dayz_att.sqf", _mut_target] call RE;

or

[nil, _mutant, rSwitchMove, "AmelPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_amaterUder2"] call RE;

This should be fun... :/

NemaconzBloodsucker.jpg

Edited by Nemaconz
Text

A little update on my progress, I got the model working in ARMA 3, this is a big accomplishment for me because I have never even attempted anything like this before. A step in the right direction, I'm hoping to have this worked out and ready for release in the coming weeks. :)

http://imgur.com/vX4eVGN

The pic is wide because I use triple monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

The bloodsucker lives! (well by lives I mean he is now moving around and performing his animations correctly)

http://i.imgur.com/n0Yraik.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CVj4COG.jpg

Still got a lot of kinks to work out, this thing was poorly designed and I'm just not talented enough to rebuild the entire thing from scratch but it'll do the job there is no doubt about that. When the time comes, I'm gonna need to work with a more experienced scripter than myself, that sound issue is going to be the death of me but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. More updates to come.

• 2 months later...