[TO BE CLOSED] Server perfomance increase (with ramdisk or other?)

flow0815

Hi together,

my server is optimized as far as i could. 4,4 GHz i7 CPU with 32 GB ram and Gigabit Network.

Arma 3 loads most of the (or all?) into ram. I watch disk traffic and it is about 1 MB/sec

I wonder if there would be any performance increases when putting whole arma to a ramdisk or put the database in ramdisk.

ATM i have Sata disks which seem bored.

Is there any performance tweaks beside basic.cfg and all the stuff we learned from current builds? (no sapper, not much object, etc)?

Any experiences or possibilities to make arma3server.exe run with more than 2 gb ram?

Any experiences how to use more than 4 cores in a fps increasing way?

With actual fps patch for 1.48 is it possible to remove the simulation handler to get more server fps?

Just wonder why server will have 13 FPS with 57 players. Is it really arma in combination with epoch objects and mod what makes the server fps so "poor" on such a fine hardware?

Really googled a lot but found nothin interessting. What are your tweaks if you don't mind to share?

Thanks

Yeah thanks Mumys,

already read that. But imho it is nonsense with maxmessages and such. I set them t o 5400 with 57 players and its much better than e.g. 1024 or 2048 (like they said for maximum). No network messages pending.

So i dont really believe in that basic.cfg settings.

Regards

I used a ram drive for a very long time and recently switched to an SSD server and granted performance is slightly better with the ram drive it's not constant and if you have to reboot you will have to copy your server files back over and make backups constantly.

Yeah thanks Mumys,

already read that. But imho it is nonsense with maxmessages and such. I set them t o 5400 with 57 players and its much better than e.g. 1024 or 2048 (like they said for maximum). No network messages pending.

So i dont really believe in that basic.cfg settings.

Regards

have you tested running your server with out any scripts, specifically AI? I think digging the wayu you are going to is not going to get you what you are looking for. You may see some small performance increases but it sounds to me like you are running a mission or AI the server can't handle. I had a similar problem and didn't figure it out until I started shutting off scripts.

Yes Scaris i tried without any AI. And epoch without scripts is boring. Sorry to say that but the community makes it interessting. Looking at halv, suppe, zupa and co :) Thanks guys

I am not saying to strip your server down to vanilla epoch.. I am asking if you have tried it that way and gotten different results. If your server runs completely smooth without AI then it's a hardware / resources issue.. or the script is just ridiculously resource heavy like the nuke script I was running was on the client. I got a ton of performance back from removing just one mission... 

I tried some things there but the question is: Do you have better fps with 57 players online? Is 13 serve fps maybe just normal at that amount of players?

13 FPS is not good for only 57 players. Mells house use to hit 100 players and stay above 15 FPS. 

Then i really don't know what is causing this. Okay i have 4500 Building objects and 250 vehicles.... What does Mells house use as hardware?

I can't imagine anybody to get over 15 fps with 100 players. No idea how that should work. Had 2 windows and 1 linux machine at all and tried without any script and NEVER had more than 15-18 fps at 57 players

EDIT: Also would be nice if the devs then share their knowledge how to get such values if thats possible.

His original hardware is the same that I have now. 

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620v2 Cores/threads 4/8t Frequency/burst 3,7 GHz+/3,9 GHz+
Intel Smart Cache: 10 MB
RAM: 64 GB DDR3 ECC 1600MHz
Disks: 2x 2 TB SATA3
RAID: SOFT/JBOD
Bandwidth: 500 Mbps
Traffic: Unlimited
Burst: 1 Gbps

But since he has moved to Linux.

13 FPS is not good for only 57 players. Mells house use to hit 100 players and stay above 15 FPS.

Mill house is vanilla epoch!

Not sure what you mean by "my server is optimized as far as i could. 4,4 GHz i7 CPU with 32 GB ram and Gigabit Network".

i7s are desktop processors and not optimized for raw compute (unless you are using 2011 CPU on a workstation motherboard)

32GB of RAM for a game that uses only 2.5 is irrelevant, no? The type of RAM and it's setting will have a greater impact... again if you're not running on a server mobo you'll leak FPS here.

10/100 and 10/1000 network speed is also irrelevant. Clean loss less network traffic is more important than 1GB.

The fact is the Epoch Devs created a mod that works very well with 100 players (that's very good for Arma games). Once you move away from the vanilla you impact FPS.

If you really want to see a performance increase make sure you have no AI missions (local one are a killer of FPS), remove as many scripts as you can and.... here this the big one, keep the world limit low (impossible on busy servers).

I know you already using a good anti-hack so you're covered there.

Lastly most client PCs are poor! I have played on servers with 70 players 8 server FPS and my local client is running at over 50 FPS (in 4k).

In closing... there are so many variables that affect FPS (both server and client side) hardware, in your case will have the least impact. That said if you get better FPS using a RAMDISK you have already answered you own question, no?

Performance over features! or be willing to accept the trade off.

My server spec:

Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3

16GB DDR3 ECC

2x SSD RAID 0

10/100 network

My Mods:

HAV Traders

Fulcrum Mission System - Do not run local Ai or HC on the same hardware as your server! (Dedicated server for HC).

IgiLoad

Playerstats

playerStatsElite

With 70 players and 4 missions we get about 10/12 FPS.

Good luck.

Mike.

Thanks mike for the long post. I don't know how thould a xeon server cpu bring more power with lower frequenz than an i7 for a game like arma. I am server technican for about 10 years now and imho is 3,5ghz xeon and iz 4,4 ghz the same FOR ARMA. I only wonder why and how so much player can be hold without running a plane vanilla. Vanilla epoch without mods is just boring in my opinion. The mods make the game interessting. So far i do not have that much:

- Halv Spawn, Halv Blackmarket, SEM Mission(disabled below 25 server fps), Earplugs, Service point, status bar

For 20 players i am with 45 server fps but more than 20 will start getting them decrease and 57 are at 13-15

Thats it

Thanks mike for the long post. I don't know how thould a xeon server cpu bring more power with lower frequenz than an i7 for a game like arma. I am server technican for about 10 years now and imho is 3,5ghz xeon and iz 4,4 ghz the same FOR ARMA. I only wonder why and how so much player can be hold without running a plane vanilla. Vanilla epoch without mods is just boring in my opinion. The mods make the game interessting. So far i do not have that much:

- Halv Spawn, Halv Blackmarket, SEM Mission(disabled under 25 server fps), Earplugs, Service point, status bar

Thats it

If you are seeing 100% CPU usage you have a strong argument, however I do not go above 86% CPU usage under load. So a server grade CPU for me is better than a desktop. Once more as a technician you'll know that it's not just about CPU GHz when it comes to any application including Arma. With server grade technology comes better performance. CPU cycles, CPU queue length , process off-loading even fetch from memory have an impact. Those that don't know better may what to argue on this but it's true (a conversation best placed for another time).

I used to use SEM missions, they're great... However STOP using SEM if you want to increase FPS. Forget hardware for a sec SEM had the biggest impact on our server FPS and, client FPS (server and client FPS are not the same thing).

I stopped using SEM a few months ago so it may have gotten better however if my past experience is anything to go by you'll want to move away from SEM and over to a well scripted HC mission system (make sure the HC is remote).

If you think i'm talking shit (as I say it may have gotten better) try a busy session without SEM running. I'm confident you'll see an improvement and interested to hear your feedback.

Your call.

Mike.

Hey Mike,

of course its more than GHZ but not for Arma i think. i mean a server.exe which can use max 2 gb ram which was released in 2013? Come on thats sad and i don't think they programmed it that good. IMHO a high frequent cpu core will bring much more than any other cpu feature. I tried wai mission and sem mission and i don't see any differenz. Also i don't think it will impact that much because the fps should go up when there is no mission which is only 2-3 fps more than.

Regards

Mike we joined your server so we can have a look but your server fps is at 17 with 40 players so i don't get the point? Your client fps are a little less than on ours. So you also seem to have same problem than me? Or i as i think it is just normal

EDIT: We checked many other servers now and all servers with player above 60-70 have 3 about 6 (!!) Server fps so i would say 13 with 57 players are totally normal. Wonder why everybody tells they have such good server fps because it simply seems not to be true :rolleyes:

saying ghz dosnt matter for arma is bs ...

any amount of extra mhz you can crank out of the machine WILL increase performance for an arma server!

how much diffrence it can/will be, can be debated and will most likely differ a lot from machine to machine, compared to what hardware the machine in question has.

saying server grade cpu's are much better for arma is also bull, as arma was never made for server grade performance cpu's anyway, but rather for older quadcores cpu's, preferably without hyperthreading ...