VPS help choosing one

Motorui

Question

Hello all, I managed to configure my server locally, now I feel that should move to a VPS, but need some help choosing one.
I'm from Portugal and here I found some companies with some options:

• CPU: 2.4Ghz
  • RAM: 1Gb
  • HDD: 20Gb
  • trafic: 1000G

Is it enough? which Linux is better tho run the server? Cent-Os, Debian or Ubuntu??

How about 64 Bits OpenVZ with4 vCores?? with 8 GB RAM??

Thanks in advance, Rui

10 answers to this question

Go with a 3.4GHz+ Intel Xeon

You don't need many cores, just fast ones!

You need 2GB Ram for the ArmA Dedicated, + 2GB for redis DB and the rest for Your OS, so You will be better with 6-8GB than 4GB.

For the OS, I recommend Windows Server 2008/2012 just because it's easyer to start with, except You are experienced with hosting ArmA Servers on Linux.

And of course, rent a fully dedicated root rather than a VPS with shared ressources!

Go with a 3.4GHz+ Intel Xeon

You don't need many cores, just fast ones!

You need 2GB Ram for the ArmA Dedicated, + 2GB for redis DB and the rest for Your OS, so You will be better with 6-8GB than 4GB.

For the OS, I recommend Windows Server 2008/2012 just because it's easyer to start with, except You are experienced with hosting ArmA Servers on Linux.

And of course, rent a fully dedicated root rather than a VPS with shared ressources!

Thank you, the thing is VPS is 70% cheaper than a fully dedicated, and for now it is just to learn, later if everything goes well maybe i'll move to a fully dedicated one!

A VPS and a VDS are the same thing, like how some say movies and some say films :) both a VPD and VDS are dedicated servers chopped up into small parts and sold in pieces with allocated resources.

Some have fixed resources, best way and others have burst, load of bollocks.