0304 woes - This is why you need testing on high pop servers

Brian Soanes

I have over 60 players on my Altis server atm, this is what's being reported in the last 10 minutes, I fear it's only going to get worse

Graphical gltiches

Lag

Desync

FPS issues

[2015-07-17 | 13:54:28] (Side) ldz1982: WHAT THE FU**IN LAGS????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[2015-07-17 | 13:58:38] (Side) Netnix: character is robo dancing

[2015-07-17 | 13:59:47] (Side) Netnix: too much lagg

This is in addition to the white smoke cfg error popup, the lack of sea, wind and ambient sounds.

Server is running fine, infact better than ever with over 20fps, no network overload, no rpt errors, also have simulation to true in epochconfig.hpp.

None of these errors were happening on 1.46/0.3.0.3 and 1.48/0.3.0.3

[2015-07-17 | 14:31:32] (Side) Heinrich K. Friedmann: im fine with 50fps

[2015-07-17 | 14:31:44] (Side) Heinrich K. Friedmann: but it drops to 9 after a short time
[2015-07-17 | 14:31:48] (Side) Heinrich K. Friedmann: than back to 50
[2015-07-17 | 14:31:55] (Side) Cato Brendhagen: same for us aswell
[2015-07-17 | 14:31:56] (Side) Marcel: mine flips betweeen 70 and 5 fps
[2015-07-17 | 14:32:02] (Side) Cato Brendhagen: Got stable 11 fps now -.-

If your client fps tanks, relog and fps is returned to normal, when it tanks rocks appear to flicker with LOD

I think the part you are missing is that you are testing it, lets not forget that if you run a server you are testers and Epoch is still in Alpha. As far as testing experimental we have had 0.3.0.4 test servers open to the public for everyone to test well before release and as a result we caught many bugs with Epoch and Arma 3 that did get in fact get fixed before both releases. We welcome more people to get in and test the experimental branch, please join us next time.

If you have not already tested this, re-enable our vehicle simulation handler and that will be just like it was in 0.3.0.3. The issue you might be seeing if you have this disabled is that Arma 3 netcode still cannot handle the sheer number of players, vehicles, and objects you are running. Our vehicle simulation handler does work around some of the client fps issues at the cost of server fps and I would say that these issues with glitching need to be consolidated and reported to BI as most of the reports seem to be related to Arma and not Epoch.

If you truly think these "gltich" issues are Epoch only issues and not Arma then please reproduce this on a clean epoch server that I can join.

Hey awol,

Yesterday through this morning I was running 0.3.0.4 and 1.48 with simulation handler = true and players were still getting the issues.

I ran a restart with just vanilla and these issues were still reported.

I reverted to 0.3.0.3b9 and am still running 1.48.

So far I had this setup yesterday for a short while and all was good.

Today, its been about an hour or so and still all is good.

I will continue to monitor

re-enable our vehicle simulation handler

also have simulation to true in epochconfig.hpp.

We welcome more people to get in test the experimental branch, please join us next time.

I wish I had the time to "play", my time is spent almost entirely in getting my server to run at a performance level that is acceptable.

I'm not knocking your mod Aaron, i'm just saying that it sucks that when you add players these things come to light, and those of us who try and give our players the best experience end up with egg on our faces.

People just cba to be switching between Arma RC builds and different builds of Epoch to test, hence the low pop on test servers.

Sometimes there is no better way of finding out what is truly broken than throwing it out to the masses. Its not ideal that we updated at the same time as Arma either, as some issues are with Arma and are just now surfacing because "People just cba to be switching" as you say. Arma must be updating there graphics core as its been more glitchy than normal the last few patches.  

That said we simply need people to report there issues one per topic unless another topic already exists. this way I can get a consensus on what the pressing issues are and either fix them or report them to BI.

I figured out a fix , for the player .. once you get the graphical glitches .. and low fps my case 4-15 fps .. logging out of the game will not fix .  I did find out one thing by experimenting .. once you get the issue .. low fps.. log out clear out your mpmission cache in my documents arma 3 folder and under C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Arma 3\MPMissionsCache and del the trash and issue is gone.. at least until the next time.

Not perfect but makes game playable again until perm fix can be found

Iam starting to think its more a Arma3 ~1.48 dissaster , coz with 1.46 and Epoch 0304.2  all seems to work (several restarts and np probs)

Rain starts at 0 and when overcast is over 0.75 the rain counter adds up ,with rain at  >0.25 realy stays at steady drops

Sappers they spawn and we dont have glitches (zombie script on all ok) , with Arma3 ~1.48 its like the old barbwire dayzmod graphspikes (zombie script on wich then spike or only floating heads and not seen a Supersapper)

Only thing with A3 ~ 1.48&epoch-0304.2 is the goats walk/eat didnt test it with epoch-0303 but who cares

And with the A3 -1.46 no FPS drops in time

Well we just wait till Bis fixes it , just like the crashes with 146.131.175 so its back to the beach worries for later