Just started today, total noob seeking help

Motorui

Question

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to server admin/host, please bare with me.

I have managed to start a vannila server in my home PC (later on i'll try to rent a VPS).

1st question: Although I can only run my server in Altis, every time i try to move to another map, the server starts but when I try to join the console states: "Mission Epoch Mod Bornholm read from bank." over and over again... how can I fix this?

2nd question: I'm also trying to add a few scripts, like this  where I can find the ini.sqf?? stated in the installation guide  "add this line in your init.sqf (outside any if statements):"

Thank's in advance, Rui

14 answers to this question

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to server admin/host, please bare with me.

I have managed to start a vannila server in my home PC (later on i'll try to rent a VPS).

1st question: Although I can only run my server in Altis, every time i try to move to another map, the server starts but when I try to join the console states: "Mission Epoch Mod Bornholm read from bank." over and over again... how can I fix this?

2nd question: I'm also trying to add a few scripts, like this  where I can find the ini.sqf?? stated in the installation guide  "add this line in your init.sqf (outside any if statements):"

Thank's in advance, Rui

not sure about the first one, my guess is you messed something up while changing files to the other map.

by default there is no init.sqf in the mission, so you will have to make your own, if this is the first script you are planning on adding.

i have not mentioned it in my posts as i assume whoever is installing, already knows this.

not sure about the first one, my guess is you messed something up while changing files to the other map.

by default there is no init.sqf in the mission, so you will have to make your own, if this is the first script you are planning on adding.

i have not mentioned it in my posts as i assume whoever is installing, already knows this.

Thank you very much, as I said i'm totally noob and new at this, I tried to read as much as I could, but didn't find anny information regarding this.

the ini.sqf I assume I save it in  the root of @EpochHive? also the description.ext I need to create that also?

I suggest you should try around and learn until you have more knowledge of Arma servers, otherwise you are unlucky soon. :)

To your question:

The init.sqf you have to create in your missionfile. The .pbo file of your map, as example Altis, then the file is called "epoch.altis.pbo".

This one you can open with a pbo-manager, which can found here: https://dev.withsix.com/projects/mikero-pbodll/files or here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

Extract the pbo to a temp directory and create the init.sqf in that directory. You can find the description.ext there too.

After finishing repack the pbo and upload it or in your case put it in the correct folder :)

@Epochhive contains the serverfiles / mpmissions folder the clientfiles.

cheers

If you are totally new to this and are going to just have a server on one of the (Altis, Stratis, Bornholm, Chernarus etc. ) supported maps I would recommend you to start with renting a made server from Survival Servers, Gtxgaming or Vert hosting or some other company. Then you don't need to worry yourself with the basics.

Then take it from there. And then when you feel a bit safer with the whole scripting and how everything works move over to renting a dedicated server. I can only talk for Survival Servers part, they cost 20$ for 50 slots, they have servers in Europe and the US. Both coast.

And look on what you to do with the server. Is it you and your frinds that just gone play on it? Is it gone be locked? Have a gameplan, and find someone you can trust that can help you, even if they are a "total noob", some one that can come with some input if you get stuck. To be a server owner / admin it's not all cracked up to be some times  :). It is alot of work, but it's fun when everything works. I hope you get it to work an if you get stuck you can always ask for help here.

If you are totally new to this and are going to just have a server on one of the (Altis, Stratis, Bornholm, Chernarus etc. ) supported maps I would recommend you to start with renting a made server from Survival Servers, Gtxgaming or Vert hosting or some other company. Then you don't need to worry yourself with the basics.

Then take it from there. And then when you feel a bit safer with the whole scripting and how everything works move over to renting a dedicated server. I can only talk for Survival Servers part, they cost 20$ for 50 slots, they have servers in Europe and the US. Both coast.

And look on what you to do with the server. Is it you and your frinds that just gone play on it? Is it gone be locked? Have a gameplan, and find someone you can trust that can help you, even if they are a "total noob", some one that can come with some input if you get stuck. To be a server owner / admin it's not all cracked up to be some times  :). It is alot of work, but it's fun when everything works. I hope you get it to work an if you get stuck you can always ask for help here.

how can you even suggest some of these companies??

DO NOT USE:

Survival or Gtx Servers, you will regret that!

hahaha..... I can only talk for Survival Servers, I've had them both for my Dayz servers and Epoch servers and I have never have any major problem with them. And like I said. Start with a company that have a server and then go to a dedi when you are more safer how it all works. I have both now as I making my own modpack and I have players from Australia, South Africa, Europe(West and East) and the US (West and East coast) playing on it, and a server in Dallas fit that purpose just fine.

Thank you all, in any of these companies it is possible to install scripts?

I was trying to install in Bornholm map, HALO jump and missions like FUMS with raptors (from @Jurassic Arma - Raptor Pack) running around...

And is it possible to change the loot table or even install a loot script?

At first i was tinking to make a server just to me an some friends about 12-15, but if i rent one of this it will be opened to public.

Thanks again to all, regards, Rui