So tired of all the disrespect towards community scripters

IT07

Question

Hi everyone, this time I am posting a totally different topic.

It is about the disrespect towards community scripters that is very well and alive in this huge community.

What I mean with this is that there are TONS of people/admins/players in this community that just grab whatever script they can find and trash it into their server (Most of them do not even know how)

and then EXPECT US (by us I mean the scripters) to FIX IT FOR THEM.... I mean like, where does that come from? Does the community think we are some sort of charity scripters?

I am so tired of all that crap. Of course I am not scripting for money, but even the amount of thanks/credits/respect is to CRY ABOUT.

At the moment of writing this, my continued version of VEMF has about 5000(!) views. And guess what? Only about 6(!!!!) different people replied by either saying thanks or some other respectful message.

Think about that again! ONLY SIX OUT OF FIVE THOUSAND were respectful enough to say thanks or something else....

To make it even worse; among those people that reply are usually people that reply with only: "uugghh It does not work" or "I have an error" or "Change that because it does not work on my server". Everytime I receive a message like that I get soooo pissed because it basically says: (excuse my French) "**** you and your script I do not care about all of that time you put into this I am just a selfish bastard that only cares about having the best scripts on my server and I give 0 ***** about the effort and time put into it. And if I have an issue I just post without even saying one word: THANKS."

And that is what I mean by the disrespect towards community scripters. Pfeww that is out now. I feel much better already.

The real reason why I am posting this though is that I want raise awareness of the fact that this is happening everyday and it is ruining all of the potential that can be achieved with EPOCH and ArmA.

Feel free to reply.

Best regards,

IT07

@Scaris: You are right in a lot of ways man. I agree with you that I should not care about those people that do not care. Simple. But I have to be honest; my situation at the time of posting did make it all a little worse on my side.

So yes there was also a little personal issues shining through the post. But still, the point is still true that many many people on this forum do not fully realize how much work goes into scripts. All I was trying to ask is if everyone could please pay a little more attention on saying thanks on the forums. Because "forgetting to do it" says everything about how much they care about paying their thanks and respect to the coder.

@Scaris: You are right in a lot of ways man. I agree with you that I should not care about those people that do not care. Simple. But I have to be honest; my situation at the time of posting did make it all a little worse on my side.

So yes there was also a little personal issues shining through the post. But still, the point is still true that many many people on this forum do not fully realize how much work goes into scripts. All I was trying to ask is if everyone could please pay a little more attention on saying thanks on the forums. Because "forgetting to do it" says everything about how much they care about paying their thanks and respect to the coder.

Dude, trust me everyone loves your work. Measure your success in that by how many people are using it. The fact that you are drawing out a lot of the demanding ones just means you stuff is really being used and a cornerstone to the EPOCH community. And please feel free to keep sharing the good work. I know everyone on the 2 servers I run it on LOVE your stuff.

And that made me think of another thing you may not be considering.. ya you have a lot of idiot admins on here breaking your balls. However I can tell you right now there is 20 players for every admin that are just tearing your content up and looking for more just like it. I have gotten a ton of positive feedback about VEMF on my servers without the players being able to recognize it as your stuff.

I'll take this op to say again thank you very much to all you great scripters out there. IT i'm using a few of your scripts and they are awesome. I cant imagine how much time it takes to write these and the community as a whole should support and encourage more. When most of the flame posts come on i look at it as people really want to use the code you release and are frustrated when they cant get it to work because of their limited knowledge and just have a bad way of asking for help. Course then there are those who want to be spoon fed. Human nature to some.

You guys are why i still love to play this game and put in the time i do as an admin so i hope the small number of idiots dont ruin the fun you get.

This is a life lesson for you then. This is how people are in almost any aspect of life. They take what they can, and do whatever they think they can get away with. I run a pretty popular Arma 2 server and I am constantly being bombarded by people demanding things from, expecting things from me. They don't care that Im providing a free service for them to play on and enjoy. They get upset when the smallest things don't pan out their way.  It's all part of the gig. You have 2 choices, stop doing it, or suck it up and continue to do it for your own reasons.

I hear what your saying. I myself have 2 boxes and i host 4 different maps. I for one dont take other people work with out asking. I think this is mostly due to I am new at it and I dont want to step on anyone's toes. And I get stuck all the time and I do ask for help and I put in my server's credits who helped me out! And I also donate to people that do help me., I can't wright my own script , but i am leaning. And i will mess stuff up!