Vehicles Disappear After Restart

gunsmoke390

Hi does anyone else have locked vehicles on the server disappearing after restarts? We left our unarmed chopper at base locked it then it disappeared after restart plus had other players complain that the same is happening to them to there cars. Is there a fix for this? Thank You For Your Time.

Already reported in Bug reports. It's caused by the server having more vehicles than your vehicle caps, either caused by missions saving vehicles, or admins spawning them in. Go add your report in the bug reports thread, and maybe the more who mention it, the more likely it will get fixed.

It's a bug as far as I'm concerned because of the way the DB loads the items back in. We all know that people will add missions, some of them save vehicles. On that basis, it just won't work correctly, unless we all play vanilla with no vehicle saving missions. I'm obviously aware this isn't an epoch problem as such, but it should be a possibility since mod authors seem to be able to add missions and other 'addons' faster than the dev team, some of which get incorporated into future builds.

Soft and hard limits might be the way forward ? soft limit is what is spawned normally, hard limits are an absolute max and allows you to exceed the soft limit by the value set by the admin.

Without a limit you'd only end up with hundreds of unwanted vehicles affecting the server performance, then time wasted finding what should and shouldn't be in game.

Sounds like a good start Richie, and totally agree on the performance. But something has to be done about the way it loads what's in the DB. At the moment, once you're over cap, it seems random which vehicles don't get spawned in - causing players to complain about their vehicles disappearing.

OK, so I need to check my epochconfig, but when I say to only spawn 1 of each helicopter, I get numerous helicopters. For example, I want 1 of ever Chinock. I have found 10 so far. I checked my config, its set to 1. My added missions, do not spawn chinocks, so I am totally lost.

If those vehicles were on the map prior to that restart, then that's why.

Try setting up you configuration how you want it, then on a fresh dB start the server. Your vehicles will be exact.

Look at those in the configuration as a server minimum for that vehicle on restart.

However it will only allow for the total max on the server. So if you configuration a hunter for 12 vehicles and on last restart 10 were bought, then that means 10 openings were available because other configured vehicles are less than their minimum and because your hunters are now 10 over you won't fill in the others after restart.

It's confusing first time you look at it but it makes sense so you don't overload the server with vehicles

If those vehicles were on the map prior to that restart, then that's why.

Try setting up you configuration how you want it, then on a fresh dB start the server. Your vehicles will be exact.

Look at those in the configuration as a server minimum for that vehicle on restart.

However it will only allow for the total max on the server. So if you configuration a hunter for 12 vehicles and on last restart 10 were bought, then that means 10 openings were available because other configured vehicles are less than their minimum and because your hunters are now 10 over you won't fill in the others after restart.

It's confusing first time you look at it but it makes sense so you don't overload the server with vehicles

Ok that makes sense. Since my server is a testing/rpivate server, I will jsut ask my guys to fly around and blow up the extras.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a good start Richie, and totally agree on the performance. But something has to be done about the way it loads what's in the DB. At the moment, once you're over cap, it seems random which vehicles don't get spawned in - causing players to complain about their vehicles disappearing.

Usually what I do to fix the issue is either go through the database or teleport around the map and remove excess vehicles that are not locked to anyone. This will bring the vehicles back on server restart.

I can see what the Dev's are trying to do with the hard cap, however this is an Alpha and it's stuff like this that helps them shape the mod... I wouldn't call this a bug, I would call it a concept that needs revisiting. 

Usually what I do to fix the issue is either go through the database or teleport around the map and remove excess vehicles that are not locked to anyone. This will bring the vehicles back on server restart.

I can see what the Dev's are trying to do with the hard cap, however this is an Alpha and it's stuff like this that helps them shape the mod... I wouldn't call this a bug, I would call it a concept that needs revisiting. 

I agree, and maybe the feedback thread may have been a better avenue for this. However, nothing should cause database vehicles to just 'not load', so in my opinion, it still needs attention brought to it whatever you call it.

If you have any vehicles disappearing.....

You have gone over your vehicle count that you have setup in the config.

For example, if you have a slot count of 150 vehicles at every restart and a mission or an admin spawns in a new vehicle, that puts your vehicles at 151 on the map. Upon restart 1 vehicle has to disappear, it's how the math works period.

Check for missions with vehicles, remove them.

check your admin logs if any for vehicles spawned in and ask that admin to stop spawning in the extra vehicles.

or the worst case scenario, you have a hacker that is spawning in his own vehicles and causing you to go over the limit.

Hope this info helps you out in your dilemma

Is it a bug though ? :unsure: you're setting the limit in epochconfig.hpp and that is a hard limit, then using 3rd party scripts you're exceeding the limit you set, so therefore on restart it removes them and goes back to the limit set.

It isn't "removing" them, it's just only reading the DB up to the hard limit sum and then stopping with each restart which means you can end up having two vehicles parked in the same place at the same time on a restart when it brings one it missed previously back in and then you get fireworks and a mess. Removing would be a different issue.. and really rough on the players but wouldn't result in vehicles disappearing and then coming back a few restarts later.