How to protect a helicopter?

StimulusDanny

Hi there!

A few days ago I logged in just to see my GhostHawk and Little Bird gone. Yet, I can't see any method of stealing them other than parachuting. I thought some of you might help me protect my choppers better. 

For the GhostHawk I had a 2x3 helipad with removed stairs and walls between the rotors, as for the little bird just one platform with the stairs removed, but no wall in the rotor.

EH0i0OF.jpg0aRK0H8.jpgkGiECee.jpgq7GCEok.jpg

Always put the walls between rotors. And I mean BETWEEN, not 1 meter away like some people do and imagine that it gonna prevent them from spinning. Helipads don't do anything except make it higher chance that your heli will explode after each restart, however, a high helipad with no stairs (or blocked stairs) will prevent others from exploding your helis on purpose with hand grenades which many people do in many servers and I consider a very poor tactics and any good admin will ban for such behaviour. Exploding any vehicle just because you can't steal it is retarded.

I hope you are aware that vehicles, especially helicopters tend to disappear from time to time, even if nobody touched them. They just vanish after reset. Either by proximity explosion (when person gets closer, they jump into the air and BOOM) or by a bug which Arma 3 has, when vehicles just vanish for no reason.

So if you decide to build a heli pad, make it at least 3 stories high (though a heli on such helipad can be destroyed with 50 cal anyway if server has such things) and always protect their rotors with stud walls. Better two. But usually one wall is enough per heli.

And don't build bases in Arma buildings, your warehouse is destructible with just one satchel.

. Yet, I can't see any method of stealing them other than parachuting. I thought some of you might help me protect my choppers better. 

It's possible to drop a player with a chopper on that pad. (Huron, dropoff thru ramp)

If you got destrucible buildingstructure on your server, there is no 100% way to protect a chopper, since you can easy destoy those stud walls.

Exploding any vehicle just because you can't steal it is retarded.

Indeed, but if i wan't that heli respawn i'll destroy it.

Also, interact with them within the 7 day (default) settings. At least add or remove an item in it's inventory. Otherwise...poof

Thanks for the tip, i thought driving them 2 meteres is enuff.

You can not destroy a stud wall without destroying the helicopter. That's the whole point of protecting the rotor with a stud wall. Nobody is gonna access it unless they destroy your frequency jammer, which takes A LOT of satchels to destroy to begin with.

I think interaction isn't opening inventory of vehicle but entering and exiting it (since it "makes" you an owner of that vehicle). Just to be safe of course. Maybe inventory trick is enough too. I always used enter and exit.

You can not destroy a stud wall without destroying the helicopter. That's the whole point of protecting the rotor with a stud wall. Nobody is gonna access it unless they destroy your frequency jammer, which takes A LOT of satchels to destroy to begin with.

I think interaction isn't opening inventory of vehicle but entering and exiting it (since it "makes" you an owner of that vehicle). Just to be safe of course. Maybe inventory trick is enough too. I always used enter and exit.

Only cuz you don't know how to take down stud a wall without destroying the entire chopper, doesn't mean you can't - it takes me less then 10 seconds and in 9 of 10 attempts the chopper even take any noticable damage.

Also, destroying freq. jammers with satchles is the most ineffective way you can do it, apart from shooting it with rifles.

shooting it was an option in 2.5.2 patch, not so much now.

Yeh back in the days, nowadays you need thousands of rnds - well, hmg still does the job - not goin into detail, but try rpgs for jammer and studwalls, you'll be suprised.

Yeh back in the days, nowadays you need thousands of rnds - well, hmg still does the job - not goin into detail, but try rpgs for jammer and studwalls, you'll be suprised.

Since Epoch doesn't use HMGs and RPGs it's hardly surprising frequency jammers do not work as intended if server admins add in extra powerful weapons.

rpgs? so you are probably talking about heavily moded servers with such things. Vanilla Epoch is RPG free :) and thus my point stands, there is no way to destroy a stud wall without blowing up a chopper. If it is possible, I'd like to see a video :D

Just so you know, the only type hand held weapon (besides launchers, etc.) that will do any damage to a frequency jammer is a lynx with APDS rounds, and last time I tested it took around 500 rounds or 100x 5-round mags to do it. Maybe some high caliber non-vanilla weapon would do it too. When I tried guns like the Zafir, the jammer didn't even register any damage being done it to. 

It depends on the server you play on but I usually find its pointless storing choppers at bases regardless of how much protection you put in place.

People find joy in destroying other people's property if they can't steal them (whether your are online or not).

I find it's safer just to sell them at a nearby trader, bank the cash and then withdraw the cash and buy a chopper back when you need it. Yes you lose money due to trader tax but it's better than losing choppers over and over again.

They are not indestructible. Only server admins can make them indestructible, which has nothing to do with Epoch itself. However, there is one problem that needs to be fixing, it is base parts getting semi-indestructible if they are in the ground or other Arma buildings.

Since Epoch doesn't use HMGs and RPGs it's hardly surprising frequency jammers do not work as intended if server admins add in extra powerful weapons.

rpgs? so you are probably talking about heavily moded servers with such things. Vanilla Epoch is RPG free :) and thus my point stands, there is no way to destroy a stud wall without blowing up a chopper. If it is possible, I'd like to see a video :D

Ayy, now i know where you guys comming from - didn't thought bout the fact vanilla epoch doesn't have that powerfull stuff (HMG's/RPG's),

Just so you know, the only type hand held weapon (besides launchers, etc.) that will do any damage to a frequency jammer is a lynx with APDS rounds, and last time I tested it took around 500 rounds or 100x 5-round mags to do it. Maybe some high caliber non-vanilla weapon would do it too. When I tried guns like the Zafir, the jammer didn't even register any damage being done it to. 

Yeh i'm aware of that, not sure tho if the non-APDS rnds would do the job too, but could took ages/lotta ammo.