Which Server Host?!

Demi

There's a Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 3.40Ghz + ILO with 2x 600GB SAS 10K HW RAID 1 - 32GB RAM on a 1Gbit port for €50 or (£35.58) or ($56.04)

Zero setup fee and no contract hosted in France, that's a cracking deal :)

or for the same price have 2 x 120GB SSD with HW raid, OVH are usually SW raid

Just curious Richie, is that the box UKGZ runs? Just wondering how many servers could be hosted on that hardware. We're currently desperate to rid ourselves of the shockingly bad GTX Gaming.

Wish I had seen this thread sooner, so I can tell you about Swiftnode.. I had great experiences with them, the customer service was next to none, very quick reply's through their ticket system.. and even at out of office hours I could still reach them, as I had them added on steam. They would jump onto our server as players and help out with every problem, they would even come to our Teamspeak to help explain things faster and easier. Has to be the best experience renting a gaming server I ever had.

I was just some noob that wanted an Epoch server when I signed up with them, now I'm managing a dedicated box running multiple Arma, Rust and ARK servers!.. Thanks to them, their advice and patience.

Wish I had seen this thread sooner, so I can tell you about Swiftnode.. I had great experiences with them, the customer service was next to none, very quick reply's through their ticket system.. and even at out of office hours I could still reach them, as I had them added on steam. They would jump onto our server as players and help out with every problem, they would even come to our Teamspeak to help explain things faster and easier. Has to be the best experience renting a gaming server I ever had.

I was just some noob that wanted an Epoch server when I signed up with them, now I'm managing a dedicated box running multiple Arma, Rust and ARK servers!.. Thanks to them, their advice and patience.

Thank you for this! 

I will consider them for my next servers :)

So I am well versed in this field with 4 hosts as of now...

-1st Host: Survival Servers, waste of money and time... Horrible setup, not really customize-able, poor performance IMO (managed)

-2nd Host: ViLayer, ehh performance was ok, I customized some, but their support was SLOW (managed)

-3rd Host: NFO Servers, Hands down #1 BEST support ever!!!! 4 min is the longest I EVER had to wait for a support response. Their VPS's are great but I wanted a dedi machine due to performance gains. I couldn't bring myself to pay $210 USD per month for one.

-4th Host (current): BudgetVM, I have a E3-1270V3 @ 3.9 Ghz, 32GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1Gbps uplink, full dedicated machine for an awesome price (PM me for details, I don't think they wanted me to advertise). Their support is quick, but I haven't really needed it since there's no issues with my machine. This machine can run 2 full servers, multiple headless clients, host processes, and a bunch more and just keep on going @ 100% CPU usage.... Well as long as you set affinity and have the correct setup.

TLDR: NFO is best for a VPS but my current host (BudgetVM) is damn good for a dedi.

We have had to cancel our GTX A3 Epoch server due to it being down for over a month and them blaming us for their database settings.

We then bought a FastPointGaming server which never came online and their forums has error message saying their account has been suspended and their support stopped responding days ago.

We really wanted to host our A2 and A3 Epoch servers somewhere but so far too many bad reviews and our bad experience leave very little choices for UK renting and some of the providers don't do UK or as really expensive and don't give full file access.

If anyone has a provider who is actually good and solid and doesn't cost an arm and a leg we would much appreciate it. Currently looking at Vilayer - they are a bit more expensive than GTX and FPG but don't have some of the file access for A3, and Vert Hosting where the price seems ok but no UK servers and again no access to some files.

I swear it never used to be this hard to rent a server, we've been going over 15 years and I never seen so many cowboys and fly by nights.

Suggestions please!

ps we may also buy an ARK server if they turn out to be good

We have had to cancel our GTX A3 Epoch server due to it being down for over a month and them blaming us for their database settings.

We then bought a FastPointGaming server which never came online and their forums has error message saying their account has been suspended and their support stopped responding days ago.

We really wanted to host our A2 and A3 Epoch servers somewhere but so far too many bad reviews and our bad experience leave very little choices for UK renting and some of the providers don't do UK or as really expensive and don't give full file access.

If anyone has a provider who is actually good and solid and doesn't cost an arm and a leg we would much appreciate it. Currently looking at Vilayer - they are a bit more expensive than GTX and FPG but don't have some of the file access for A3, and Vert Hosting where the price seems ok but no UK servers and again no access to some files.

I swear it never used to be this hard to rent a server, we've been going over 15 years and I never seen so many cowboys and fly by nights.

Suggestions please!

ps we may also buy an ARK server if they turn out to be good

I use vert hosting . They r solid , buisness hours for tickets are NZ time though , so you have to get used to that . Arma servers on sale for $20 a month , for a 40 man arma server  . use code ARMA3JULY2015   if ur interested

the location is france , not the language :)

That's a fair point, however the world doesn't work like that. Personally, I'm in the UK (as are most of our regulars), and I would look for a UK server. If I was French, I'd try to find a French server, because you figure there will be a better ping, and French folk to talk to. We had it before with GTX. Despite ordering a UK server, they put us in France, and lo and behold....a lot of French players were joining, and a lot couldn't speak English.

Since we're in a 'which server host' thread, I'll add in my short reviews of the ones to avoid;

GTXGaming - 3/10 - Server was never without problems of one kind or another. After they performed a 'scheduled maintenance' the server was broken, and a 3 week long battle ensued. The support staff and managers are often quite dismissive and unhelpful, and openly admit they don't read the ticket before making suggestions (usually reinstall or move server).

FastPointGaming - 0/10 - Not only was the server poorly setup (with really old arma/epoch files), they suffered FTP timeouts constantly, their tcadmin panel takes 15 minutes to do anything, and the server has yet to even start after a week. Their support is pretty much non-existent other than 'we're investigating'. Their forums were filled with people with all sorts of servers (ark, arma, RoK etc) with the same issues. Broken servers and no support answering...a few days ago their forums were 'suspended'. The server still won't start, and support seem to have stopped answering. If I had to guess, I'd say they did a runner.

That's a fair point, however the world doesn't work like that. Personally, I'm in the UK (as are most of our regulars), and I would look for a UK server. If I was French, I'd try to find a French server, because you figure there will be a better ping, and French folk to talk to. We had it before with GTX. Despite ordering a UK server, they put us in France, and lo and behold....a lot of French players were joining, and a lot couldn't speak English.

You're ping to France, Germany and most other European countries will be fine, my old OVH server was in France, my ping was 30ms

UK servers are expensive, we still have stupid prices for bandwidth and power supply costs, just grab one in France then in Gametracker make it show UK

According to the vert website they only do : Epoch Mod, Arma3, DayZ mod and minecraft servers there is no mention of them doing A2 DayZ Epoch.

We would prefer a UK server so it encourages more English speaking people on as people do check location of servers and they tend to get more of that language based on location but we aren't locked into a location due to our language or anything like that as we just want an active community which uses the resources we put out there as empty servers are just a waste of time and money.

Is there a single host provider which people can hand-on-heart say are good, reliable and have a decent support which ALSO does A2 and A3 servers preferably UK based servers but at least English speaking support in Europe as so far we haven't found one.

Suggestions please!

ps we may also buy an ARK server if they turn out to be go

If not going for a dedi, go for Pingperfect.com best ive been renting from thus far, and ive tried alot..

• 2 weeks later...

Just for information, I received this email:

Dear Neil (CiC Gaming),

We regret to inform you that FastPointGaming Ltd no longer operates.

An Issue with Paypal holding 90% of our fund + another 30% of all payments recieved for security reasons due to a huge influx in sales after the release of Ark has caused the company to collapse. I (Ricky) no longer operate FastPointGaming Ltd.

If you have already opened your dispute via paypal your money will be refunded by paypal, we would do this however they are holding our funds.

I've seen Paypal cripple a company before, anyone with large sales must submit their funds for up to 90 days, a small business on the verge of going medium usually can't afford these steps.

Unfortunately it's part of Paypals terms so you have no option but to accept if you want to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

I use vert hosting . They r solid , buisness hours for tickets are NZ time though , so you have to get used to that . Arma servers on sale for $20 a month , for a 40 man arma server  . use code ARMA3JULY2015   if ur interested

I use code, thanks for that!

I move from Vilayer, sick with slow support system.

Lets see how VertHost works! =) 

• 1 month later...