future updates

marv

hello everyone,

first i want to say i do not mean anything in an offensive and/or harmful way.

i know epochmod is still in develpoment. i am also aware of the fact that the devs do it in their spare time and dont get anything besides some donations.

i had an acceptable playerbase, something around 300 unique accounts which used to play on our server as a regular (distributed onto 2 servers and different daytimes). what actually happens is a decrease in interest in the epoch mod, at least this is what our playerbase told us. there are just too many things right now which makes the mod "unenjoyable" enough to continue playing. i would call bets that other server admins also received such a feedback, more or less.

is there any way that the amount of time between updates can be decreased? i think giving the community smaller but still helpful updates are better than waiting X months for dozens of new implementations.

perhaps a dev is able to reply to this.

thank you.

hello axeman,

a quick summary from our playerbase

- more craftables, escpecially building stuff

- get rid of the sapper sh*t, give zombies or something similar, but not those suicide terrorists

- improve performance in own build bases (--> players mean they get less fps in bases, i dont know if this is a dev problem)

- get rid of the buggy multigun

- give back normal medical supplies like morphine and bloodbags

- get rid off krypto or make it at least an item like briefcases back in a2

- fix bugs like base parts get deleted although maintained 2 days ago

- give admins an option to set which material of building part is destroyable, right now doors/gates and roofs can be destroyed, make it to wood/cinder/whatever

- missing server settings for increasing maximum vehicles amount, cars or helis get deleted at random OR there dont spawn new.

- get rid off the energy system, annoying as hell

- give a better building system with snapping system where the player can decide on which side of a building item the snap should do the snapping

- a working economy system

- a way to set the price for base parts, one krypto makes players giggle

- starting epoch - please wait issue (blackscreen) for many players (perhaps our fault, i dont know)

- automatic clear traders on every restart (my staff cannot administrate the servers 24/7)

this is a summary of all the complains we get in the last few months. hopefully you understand these points, english is not my native language.

It's almost non existent now when you check people playing Epoch. Think it's not just developers fault tho. There's a lot of new AAA games recently released and more incoming like Arkham Knight on Tuesday. Think tho they need to keep the player base they do have informed on whats incoming and when to roughly expect it.

hello axeman,

a quick summary from our playerbase

- more craftables, escpecially building stuff

- get rid of the sapper sh*t, give zombies or something similar, but not those suicide terrorists

- improve performance in own build bases (--> players mean they get less fps in bases, i dont know if this is a dev problem)

- get rid of the buggy multigun

- give back normal medical supplies like morphine and bloodbags

- get rid off krypto or make it at least an item like briefcases back in a2

- fix bugs like base parts get deleted although maintained 2 days ago

- give admins an option to set which material of building part is destroyable, right now doors/gates and roofs can be destroyed, make it to wood/cinder/whatever

- missing server settings for increasing maximum vehicles amount, cars or helis get deleted at random OR there dont spawn new.

- get rid off the energy system, annoying as hell

- give a better building system with snapping system where the player can decide on which side of a building item the snap should do the snapping

- a working economy system

- a way to set the price for base parts, one krypto makes players giggle

- starting epoch - please wait issue (blackscreen) for many players (perhaps our fault, i dont know)

- automatic clear traders on every restart (my staff cannot administrate the servers 24/7)

this is a summary of all the complains we get in the last few months. hopefully you understand these points, english is not my native language.

A lot of good stuff in your reply.

Lets see if I can help you out with some of them and the devs might pick up on the rest.....

1. CfgCrafting is wide open for you to customize your server's craftables. Plus my Donkey Menu script will have a crafting menu that you can customize yourself. 2 options there 1 built into EPOCH.

2. Sappers can be controlled, turn em off man.

-put this into your init.sqf

EPOCH_spawnLimits = [0,0,0,0,0,0,1];
-the 1 at the end is for the Mohawk Trader mission.

3. can be handled by devs if they want but the more building parts the more FPS drop, also a configurable setting built into epoch, you can cap the number of Building parts per plot pole(but there could also be some optimization done. 0.3.0.3!)

4. Multigun=hmm Im not touching this one

5. Med supplies I feel will be in, since we have all those Debug entries!

6. Crypto is fine man, Gold is in the game. Set your pricing according to your want for a gold standard and then get creative.

7. Redis DB is nice but has some things about it. Give it time.

8. You can set which is indestructible by script. Just search and ye shall find it.

9. Epochconfig.hpp just add more vehicles to the vehicle slots list and VOILA

10. Energy is great plenty of places to get it from and it works for more

11. Snapping is in. you have build mode 1 and 2 and 3 adjust 4 different types of SNAP....

12. CfgPricing.hpp is configurable, get creative yet again

13. yes agreed, we need adjustable maint pricing

14. you have to tweak your server, you are probably generating errors both server rpt and client rpt, clean it up and im sure you will improve your join times. Or get a dedicated box and leave that hosting Frumpany.

15. scripting can accomplish clearing out the traders, more to learn though. However there is a system in the scripting forum that can act as a replacement to EPOCH traders until they are all balanced out. its worth looking into, it handles several of your complaints in here.

There is probably a lot more to be added to some

3 words, Steam Summer Sale. Even I was bitten by the bug and picked up Elite: Dangerous.

As for what comes next, well it's what we are working on and it's never set in stone and features can be pulled minutes before a patch due to unforeseen issues. We aren't some massive company that has a person to lay everything out for us and since we do this as a hobby on our free time, things that frustrate us get the back burner for a bit until we iron out some issues or just feel like working on that part again. We do apologize if this can be frustrating and we understand completely. Some times it's just good to take a step back, let some patches roll out over time and come back. 

I think what most people still miss is that a lot of people didn't even play A2 Epoch until 1.0 or well after it. But for A3 Epoch most have been here from the start and we aren't even half way through the alpha phase. Best I can say is be patient and let us work and it will come when it comes. I hope this post doesn't come off as "Fuck you we do what we want" but more of a "I'm not getting payed for this so we do what we can when we can."

To be honest. It look like epoch is dead. I mean their hardly any word of any thing development wise. Yea you guy makes post here and their, but nothing to draw us in. Like many have said Githut. Thats the best way to get people involded and back into epoch. Yea only a few know what Githut is. But word travels fast when their something new being made/scripted.

You guys say "We dont get payed", "We do this in our spare time". Fair, that something all server owner know, since player bring things up time after time about a server side bug. But you guys can always open a githut. Have other people help. Yea their are a few downsides, like the mod going some where you dont want or things are not as optimized as you guys want.    BUT, to be really honest most people see this all as you guys just, dont want to open githut cause you guys want to keep the licenses to yourselfs. You guys want this to be yours and only yours nobody elses. Which is total logical. But really hurts the mod.

Back before even epoch started to make a mod for arma 3, arma 2 epoch was at a high tide. Everyone wanted to play cause their was always something NEW. Then you guys cut all development from arma 2, the moment you guys went to arma 3 to register everything under your guys own licenses.

I dont want to come off as am hurt or just one of the few people who have personnaly issues with epoch dev. But this is what a lot of people feel. This is also a reason why a lot of people are looking forward to the new exile mod. I dont want to be one fo the people who talk about another mod and compare it to epoch. Their two different gametypes with some similarities. But the way they talk about development, the way they ask people's opinions. The Fact that they want people to make modifcation to your gamemode, to make server owners server unique is that main reason why a lot of people like it. They have their own ideas and thats what their making but gave people the option to modify code. (Yes, the mod is not released, but dont get me wrong). Epoch messed up at the very beginning with the whole "Offical Server Host" shit. And the whole Infistar ordeal (Dont want to turn this into a whole back and forth thing, but from what i seen it look like someone stole his code, Just saying my opinion.)

I highly recommand that you guys go back to the way you guy where, when arma 2 epoch was being made. That was a lot better then this behind door setup you guy currently are doing. Again i dont want this to make me seem like i have a personnaly hate and really dont want this to turn into a de-railed thread or a deleted post and i really dont want someone who is (as one would say) "riding epoch dev, di*k" to reply saying that i need to "F*ck Off".

Best Regards,

Namindu

As much as I would like to hold hands and let everyone know it's ok, most people here understand who we are and what we do and are more than ok with that. There was a time when A2 Epoch was early on and LOADS of people said we couldn't do what we said we were going to do. At the end of the day we kept working on it at our own pace and it slowly became what it is today. A3 Epoch will be done the same way. So yea, there will be times when patches don't roll out as fast as everyone wants and there will be times they don't get the content they were hoping for. There will always be people that try to "Say what they feel" but unless you can predict the future I don't want to hear it. We know what we want to do and can only do it so fast. So either hold tight or move on.

As for not seeing any development, I just spent 5+ hours today setting loot positions for Takistan buildings for AIA terrain pack and spent 10 hours re-doing the loot for A3/AiA buildings.

The forums aren't our only outlet for content. Usually the best place to ask questions and learn about new features is through our twitch channels. So if you want to see more than what you see here, check our Facebook and Twitter for announcements of us streaming. Besides the forums can be so impersonal.