The future of Chernarus in Arma3

Floyd

I know Chernarus is perhaps an old and tired map for many. Even with its flaws, it is, imo, a beautiful map. I don't really want to start a debate on the merits of the map. I'm just curious to know, if when looking in to their crystal balls, other server admins see any future in the map.

The two biggest Chernarus based problems for Epoch as I see them are:

"Community based task force":

The problems associated with having a community based task force porting A2 material to A3 should be evident. In spite of all the well meaning and good intentions, community projects typically have a hard time staying focused, meeting any sort of timetable and are often at the mercy of well meaning members having to drop out or unable to spend as much time as they'd like on their area of responsibility. Its going to be a slow process and whose to say that specific map updates won't take a back seat to other needs/wants?

Requirement to have additional content and future updates to it:

We all know that the vast majority of players today will not lift a finger to play their games (other than click play). Even learning about or knowing that additional content is needed goes way beyond many players mental capacity. That became all to evident when DayZ Commander closed shop. <soapbox> One would have thought it was the end of gaming. I was flabbergasted at the panic that set in when DayZ Commander was no more.I will concede that DayZ Commander, A3 Launcher and the like make things easier, but come on people... </soapbox>

Aside from requiring players to find and download, the AiA TP is a bear to download. I don't suffer from bandwith caps, but do suffer from slower download speeds than many. Three to four hours is not uncommon. Thank goodness I don't have a monthly bandwidth cap. Couple the sheer size of the file with the lack of interest and inability of many to even find the files (nevermind getting the right version) and failure begins to look certain.

Though I don't use it, Steam Workshop is great. But unless things have changed recently, even if the CUP team allowed it, I'm pretty sure the AiA TP (lite or full) exceeds the size limit allowed on the workshop.

Someone point out the flaws in my thought process. Please. I want to believe.

(go easy on me).

Or maybe this?

Nice looking map, shame hardly anyone will download it let alone play it.

The only way maps other than Altis and Stratis are going to thrive in Epoch is if they are bundled with Epoch (the easiest way is probably via Steam) or if they are heavily promoted on this site as official maps.

Add what ? @CUP is not released, until then keep using AiA TP

I meant how do i put the Esseker map on my server and is it avaible on realease

The only way maps other than Altis and Stratis are going to thrive in Epoch is if they are bundled with Epoch (the easiest way is probably via Steam) or if they are heavily promoted on this site as official maps.

The guys I play with seem very interested, not saying it would be popular, or how sucessful it is. We all have our own taste. Altis is too big for low pop servers. Chernarus is just the right size for us. Ezessker actually looks to be a refreshing change. One I would certianly like to explore.

Lol tell that to the people who run Taviana. There numbers are higher then people rocking Altis. People always prefer "new and shinny" over what they've already had.

As far as esseker I believe they've released it on a limited basis at the moment. ( of course ccg has it as they probably paid to run it first and you can always try it there )

I assume it'll see a public release soon.

Lol tell that to the people who run Taviana. There numbers are higher then people rocking Altis. People always prefer "new and shinny" over what they've already had.

As far as esseker I believe they've released it on a limited basis at the moment. ( of course ccg has it as they probably paid to run it first and you can always try it there )

I assume it'll see a public release soon.

There are only a handful of Taviana servers with a decent amount of players, the same will go for this map. Depending on players to install the AiA map pack and then another map just isn't going to happen on a large scale.

It's a shame but that's just the way it is, players are either unwilling or unable to get the correct files to play. It doesn't help that the in game server browser doesn't actually tell you that you need additional files to connect to a server.

There are only a handful of Taviana servers with a decent amount of players, the same will go for this map. Depending on players to install the AiA map pack and then another map just isn't going to happen on a large scale.

It's a shame but that's just the way it is, players are either unwilling or unable to get the correct files to play. It doesn't help that the in game server browser doesn't actually tell you that you need additional files to connect to a server.

Sorry I don't agree with any thing you said at all. It's your opinion and you of course are entitled to it as I am mine.

Depending on players to install the AiA map pack and then another map just isn't going to happen on a large scale.

Does it require AiA TP ? I didn't see any mention of a dependency :unsure: also at 2.5GB i think it's a standalone with the A2 objects packed with it.

Does it require AiA TP ? I didn't see any mention of a dependency :unsure: also at 2.5GB i think it's a standalone with the A2 objects packed with it.

Not sure but every server I can see in the browser list also has the AiA map pack enabled.

Just loaded it in the editor and got in without the AiA pack but did get a few errors about missing buildings so I think you do.

XccF5C9.png

Sorry I don't agree with any thing you said at all. It's your opinion and you of course are entitled to it as I am mine.

So you don't even think that the in game browser should tell you you need additional downloads rather than just bump you back to the server list with no explanation?

Well,  I for one will wait for it to become public. Just hope to get it working on EPOCH. Until then Chernarus it is.

It's not hard to port a map, have a stab at it, you'll be suprised :)

Edit one of the existing map files, for example altis.h and anything with a fixed location identify it and add it to esseker in a suitable location.

Do the same with the mission.sqm and any other files with a fixed location, anything that mentions Altis change to Esseker, that's it more or less :d

Honestly, his post is spot on. Terrain pack alone caused enough headaches and disconnects. Add in another download, and people just don't care or have the know how to install it properly.

All of us on the forums here understand what it takes, but randoms do not. It needs to be on steam workshop or bundled with the mod itself ... and that's just the honest truth.

We'll get there, eventually..

Add what ? @CUP is not released, until then keep using AiA TP

By the time CUP is released (full release) there will be at least one or two new Arma 3 maps, no one will be even interested... watch this space !

We should give our support to those who are making effort in making A3 maps that's what we need!

Honestly, his post is spot on. Terrain pack alone caused enough headaches and disconnects. Add in another download, and people just don't care or have the know how to install it properly.

All of us on the forums here understand what it takes, but randoms do not. It needs to be on steam workshop or bundled with the mod itself ... and that's just the honest truth.

We'll get there, eventually..

I second this^^

I was so against the BI/Steam merger in the beginning, It HAS come a long way.

I remember sending Maruk a threat of "I'll never play again". duh

Steam really does make things easier. Think back 10 years ago.. ugh

Old/New maps remodeled for new Engine, gets 2 thumps up from me.

If you like a map then find a server playing that map or if you are an admin load that map up...

I personally am looking forward to more Aram3 exclusive maps designed with the latest map building technologies and techniques/tools rather than beating the same old dead horse of Chernarus or Taviana ported over that was made many years ago with tools that do not have the features of today's map building applications.

Those old ported maps have a great layout but the actual terrain doesn't do Arma3 any justice and make you look like you are playing in a slightly cartoon-ish environment.

I look at Altis and I feel it more but ported maps I don't feel it

If someone were to take the layout of those old maps and completely re-do them with a new map bulding application to have a more realistic terrain then they would breathe new life but that's a bit of work to be done.

The Aurstralia map exclusively re-designed for Arma3 looks nice but I'm questionable if it's just too big.. Over twice the size of Sauerland.

http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/n5KCSjWTyR

It's not hard to port a map, have a stab at it, you'll be suprised :)

Edit one of the existing map files, for example altis.h and anything with a fixed location identify it and add it to esseker in a suitable location.

Do the same with the mission.sqm and any other files with a fixed location, anything that mentions Altis change to Esseker, that's it more or less :D

I am surprised! :o :D

some problems i gotta workout, but yeah got to run around in  epoch mode to get the feel of the map...

I have had it working tonight, got a few errors, but playable in the epoch setting. I have not altered the trader spawns, (used Chernarus as template), just got to find out why it is giving a key error and redo all staic locations & worldsize.

Loot was spawning in as expected, antagnists joined the party, (sappers loved, they were having a blast). one or two "cannot load texture errors". but yeah no serious issues. Will start to working on it later.