Is there any point in making my own server? Will anyone play on it?

Chris9183

There are just sooooo many servers out there...only a few of them actually have players, and they're all the super-heavily modified militarized/slow zombie/coin currency...often there are many bugs on them too, from personal experience.

I'm spending a lot of time fine-tuning and personalizing and squashing bugs locally on my server before I make it public, I refuse to make the server public if there are any glaring bugs or error messages showing up...but looking at the list of servers already out there and the population trends toward certain types of servers...will my server (closer to vanilla than others, few extra starting items, basic mods, skin/spawn select, normal gold-based currency, mix of PVP and PVE aspects, more realism-based) just stay empty like the tens of hundreds of others out there? I'm shooting for the best quality I can with this server...

I guess just looking at the list is discouraging. Is there any point?

There is honestly no point in making a new server, it will just stay empty and then the time you spent was wasted. Sure some times one or two players will join, but leave if they notice there are no players all the time. There are ~like 3k servers out there and maybe 100 with a playercount higher then 5, but do what you want its just my opinion

There's 2 ways of looking at this.

If you don't know how to script, add mods, then don't bother. Your server will be nowhere near as good as the other options online, others will just go elsewhere.

If however you do know how to add mods, then give it a go.

Plenty will say don't bother, but they're just salty because their shitty little server has no players.