[EVENT] Server Hosters Meeting - Outcome

lowrey

Seemed like quite a good meeting even if we did end up talking about a couple of the same topics multiple times..

Thanks for Axeman and Axle for turning up and Mike for putting us all up ;-)

So the meeting went well and I should start by saying thanks to everyone who turned up.

Those that didn’t shame on you! You missed out. This follow up would have been a lot easier if I had recorded the meeting however, I wanted everyone to understand my intensions before I recorded any of these meeting. Trust is very important!

I hope the next time I can.

There were named faces on TS when I logged on and the conversation was already in flow!

I’m going to give you a sneak peak of what was discussed and some key information that I believe is important. There was so much said the meeting I’m bound to miss out some key items and topics.

We started on Epoch Server Setups and Arma 3 Performance

We ALL agreed (a rare occurrence), that the most important thing about server hosting is:

Dwarfer - “Don't be a twat”

More constructively perhaps:

- Dedicated servers offer the most bang for your buck! GSPs are shared networks and may be a good way to start but ultimately you’ll outgrow them.
- Speed over cores, this is well known but GHz may offer better FPS over multiple cores (more on this in other thread).
- There are unconfirmed rumours that Server 2008 (R2 please) may run your server better than Server 2012. Later we’ll talk about Linux!
- Running Arma as a service can improve FPS. There are many ways in which you can do this FireDeamon being the most popular (in the meeting). As a server admin you should look into this more!

Headless Client:

Headless clients is something that all server admins should get their heads around. Maca, MGT and Axeman agreed that off-loading AI to the client is a positive way to go and has seen real world benefits.

By moving AI to like client Maca told us that “it will be easy (relatively) to port this to Headless Clients (HC)”.

Axeman said -  “we want the server to do server stuff and off-load AI to the clients”. 

“Reduce the AI from doing the calculations". MGT (he can give you his own name) said “he who dares Rodney, he who dares".

Axemna, Maca and MGT- Dave (there I said it), along with Dwarfer and others continued to share some of their wisdom on all things Dayz and Epoch (BI took some hits in this section of the meeting lol). It was really nice to listen to the top dogs pontificate and debate all things epoch.

We then spent some time talking about monetisation and redis vs SQL (this came up multiple times). Both topics I DO NOT want to talk about in this thread. That said here is a paraphrase or two about Redis vs SQL:

Axeman - “Redis is a big part of Epoch”. 

Maca - “In order to move over to SQL, would more than likely require some rewriting of epoch (code)”.

That said I can confirm that the SQL door is not shut.

Axle joins the meeting and we move on more community based topics and some insight into Epoch the mod and it’s Devs:

Axle – “Mells House is now running on Linux and we need more people (players) to test” – most agreed that this is where server admins can help populate the Dev servers in order to adequately  load test” Talk to your community/server admins about how you can help.

There was (for the most part) an agreement that any differences between the (Epoch) Devs and our community owners/admins were best put to one side or laid to rest for the good of the Mod. I felt that this had been agreed prior to this meeting and it was purely being reinforced more publicly.

Axle said – “baby steps”

Maca to Axle - "I'll be alright with anyone that’s alright with me". 

That moved us quickly on to the topic of the mod itself and the direction it was going:

There was so much in this section (and by this point I had had a fare amount to drink) that it was hard to get everything written down. You’ll just have to come to the next meeting.
None the less here are some quotes for you:

In server Chat:

Uro wrote: “fyi - Awol also said to me the other day - and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me re-iterating this - any systems - mission / et al - you want to implement or any functions you feel would be relevant to anything that would benefit the epoch community or enhance the functions of epoch - feel free to ask them on the issue tracker - or if any of you have direct contact with him - propose it”.

Axeman response to Uro – “The mod is designed to work with other mods rather than change the epoch game”. “This was always the plan”.

Later in the session:
Axle - "we want to make a mod that everyone enjoys playing and people like to mod. We're not in it to make millions".

He went on to say something that had previously be mentioned (before Axle logged in).

Axle – “We’re looking at vehicle upgrades, both cosmetic and…” “Oops, I’ve said too much!”.

Dwarfer asked Axle if there was a better way to test an update prior public release to help weed out potential “stupid” bugs (Like not spawning in Tipis after restart).

Dwafer had put his business big boy pants on at this point and was coming from a QA perspective.

Axle – “It’s an Alpha give us a break” (joking).

Mike Lowrey “Things will get missed, however there should be a better way for us as server admins to communicate directly with the Epoch team”.

There were some ideas put forward but nothing was set in stone. I good starting point for our next meeting perhaps.

DrTaru (GameWithPure) asked a question about more controls over agnostics and annoying drones.

Axeman – “look to the next patch”

Axle – “We have added more controls already and we’re looking at more variables for spawns”

They both hinted at a new agnostic similar to the Phantom soon (no dates or releases given).

Someone (I missed who) joked about the last time they had seen a phantom spawn… Axle’s response was:

“Yes they are broken, they are not spawning at the moment”.

Lastly the topic of base raiding was raised by DrTaru in relation to Jammer damage:

Axle – “awol (aka vbawol) said that base raiding should be more like a siege - teamwork and effort”. 

Axle – “Not just one guy blowing a hole in your base and taking your shit” 

Axle “this will be configurable with time”.

That’s it I’ve gone on now for 3 word pages and I’m bored!

For those still reading this I’d like to say that for the most part the community owners and Admins really seemed to respect one another and whilst from the outside world it may look like they are in competition I learnt that everyone is in it to create great servers for players to play on! We’ll be holding more of these meeting in the future and based on the feedback from the guys at the meeting, we’ll be making positive steps to improve the format!

Thank you all for taking part and we’ll see you and any other admins at the next meeting!

Special thanks to. In no order Dave!
Axeman, Maca134, MGT (Dave and his crew), Dwarfer, Axle, BenR, Flosstradamus, Defent, CEN, Uro, KamikazeXeX, Dis, Richie, Ghost, TheKnightTemplar, Gr8 DrTaru and anyone I missed.

Some useful links from chat I didn’t get them all:

Thanks again,

Mike.