Steam Workshop - Paid Mods?

Triage

its not such a bad thing it would make mods better , your not going to pay money for a crap mod . also a price would have to be set at some thing reasonable for the content it would create a real economy for mods i think this would help moders create better mods , you wouldn't need to work if your good at it just look at the content makers for items in team fortress 

and the curtain fell :p

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

I think it could have been a good idea but was poorly implemented, the review process should be more involved as to prevent others work from being posted and to ensure the quality of the product sold. 

The reality is that for those of us that make extra game content and can only accept donations most will likely never even come close to covering the time it takes to make.

I think it could have been a good idea but was poorly implemented, the review process should be more involved as to prevent others work from being posted and to ensure the quality of the product sold. 

The reality is that for those of us that make extra game content and can only accept donations most will likely never even come close to covering the time it takes to make.

I agree.  I also think that gamers have been spoiled for nearly the last two decades, with getting additional content added to games for free.  Many games have been given new maps, weapons, vehicles, avatars and many other items free of charge after the initial title purchase.  Gamers have come to expect this.  For the last 4 or 5 years many studios have been doing the paid DLC, and gamers have been crying about it, but it's slowly becoming the norm.  

I believe those who add new content to any released title should be compensated for their time and efforts, regardless of whether they are the game studios themselves or dedicated modders.  If you are adding value to the game and providing additional entertainment to players, then you should get paid.  Period.  The trick is in how to balance it.  How do you pay mod makers and at the same time protect consumers from mod makers who are only in it for a cash grab?  There's lots of them out there.  And, let's face it, life happens.  Sometimes a modder may be in the middle of a project and they get into a car accident, or a spouse gets sick, or a perfectly healthy child suddenly develops special needs.  What happens to the project?  What happens to all the money the modder has been paid for work already done and released?  These are only a couple of the dozens of possible scenarios that need to be planned for and systems put in place to protect both mod makers and players alike.  I think it can happen.  I think it should happen.  It's just a matter of how and when.  

Paying for a game; cool beanz.........................

Paying for a mod of a game; wait a minute..................

What's next? Paying for an update of the mod/game; Fuck off!

If modders grumble about time invested and effort applied, and not making money. Then simply don't continue, stop doing it, step away. You decided to make the mod (freely) You can also decide to stop if you think you deserver money. Or you can decide to sell the mod via different means than steam, then watch your populace of gamers migrate over to other games while you drift into obscurity.

I agree.  I also think that gamers have been spoiled for nearly the last two decades, with getting additional content added to games for free.  Many games have been given new maps, weapons, vehicles, avatars and many other items free of charge after the initial title purchase.  Gamers have come to expect this.  For the last 4 or 5 years many studios have been doing the paid DLC, and gamers have been crying about it, but it's slowly becoming the norm.  

I believe those who add new content to any released title should be compensated for their time and efforts, regardless of whether they are the game studios themselves or dedicated modders.  If you are adding value to the game and providing additional entertainment to players, then you should get paid.  Period.  The trick is in how to balance it.  How do you pay mod makers and at the same time protect consumers from mod makers who are only in it for a cash grab?  There's lots of them out there.  And, let's face it, life happens.  Sometimes a modder may be in the middle of a project and they get into a car accident, or a spouse gets sick, or a perfectly healthy child suddenly develops special needs.  What happens to the project?  What happens to all the money the modder has been paid for work already done and released?  These are only a couple of the dozens of possible scenarios that need to be planned for and systems put in place to protect both mod makers and players alike.  I think it can happen.  I think it should happen.  It's just a matter of how and when.  

How have gamers been spoiled for the past 20 years when half of this mess hasn't even been going on for 20 years? Mods are not made to be sold, and they want never be. The proof is in the pudding, look what Valve and Bethesda tried to do. Then look at the retaliation. Steam lost MILLIONS because of this shit. They want be doing it again.