Steam Workshop - Paid Mods?

Triage

If you haven't heard the news, let me be the first to make you cry. If you enjoy playing Skyrim, you will no longer enjoy playing Skyrim. The shitheads over at valve have decided to team up with Bethesda and make steam workshop mods purchasable. This means modders have the ability to set the price of their addons to charge players to use....on another game that they already paid for. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for support for modders. I love what they do and they're awesome for that. I would actually love if Steam setup a donation button on the users addon. So people did not have to purchase a $10 addon for a sword.

Go ahead and take a look at this bullshit, it will just make your day 100 times better.  http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/aboutpaidcontent

Once again, I'm fully for supporting Modders, voluntarily that is. Let me know what you guys think about this. On a fun note though, Valve will get 75% of what you make on the workshop as a modder.

Sign the petition https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop?just_created=true

Yeah, it's just about to hit 10k. It's going up more and more each hour. I hope this gets removed. This just shows Valve is turning greedy, and if we don't stop them here. Then it will be to late when they try and do something else like this.

I don't understand why you're so worked up over this.  It's up to the mod maker to decide whether they want to charge anything at all or not.  It's not up to Valve.  Valve is just putting a system in place so that people who DO want to charge for their work to be able to do so.  In return, Valve keeps a cut for providing the infrastructure to do so.  

Mods are suppose to be free because they're apart of the community. If the developer of the mod does a great job he does get donated too. I myself have donated to developers for the good work multiple times. It's just ethically wrong to charge for addons on a game that you already paid $60 for. I mean, valve isn't even paying the developers until they reach $100 worth of purchases. The system is setup so that Valve can receive more money, HUGE amounts of money. You think Valve cares about modders making an income or receiving money? I don't think so. It's not just this that I'm upset about, it's the fact that they would do something like this. If they're doing something like this, and think it's ok. Then just imagine what they're going to do next.

Mods are not games. They break do to game updates, they're buggy, and some are written poorly by armature computer programmers. Would you by a car if it didn't have a radiator or a car door? No, so why would you by a faulty mod that constantly crashes the game. I don't know if you ever played skyrim or not, but if you're running 30,  35+ mods the game tends to slow down... a lot. Let's say I buy that many mods, well I want to use all the mods that I purchased. But I cant, because the game itself was never design to support that much extra content that hasn't even been optimized. This is just a bomb waiting to go off, I'm talking legal issues. Only a matter of time.

Not even mentioning when certain mods are incompatible with other mods.

Particularly in Bethesda games,

Modding skyrim, TESIV Oblivion, fallout 3/nv. 

always headaches a'plenty with mod conflicts. 

New patch out for the game? oh damn. mods broken. wheres the fix? 

Steam have a 24 hour refund policy with paying for mods like that's some sort of a huge concession. 

Sorry, but no. I'm voting with my wallet on this one in a big way. 

I'm just hoping that BIS and Colossal Order don't go the same route. 

I'm enjoying arma and cities skylines way too much for them to try and kill it like that

already saw that petition on r/pcmasterrace this morning, also sent an email to valve as suggested in a gilded comment on the post. 

My interpretation of valve paying the content creators was they pay at $100 of profit, so if they're taking 75%. that means $400 worth of sales. 45% of that going to bethesda. 

Implying bethesda haven't already made enough out of the game in the past 4 years, 

with each of the DLCs and then the legendary edition. 

But wait, It gets even more grubby.

there's that fishing mod for skyrim, it's a Paid Early Access. fan made mod. oh get f*cked. seriously. 

Dude, the steam workshop is like a damn war zone right now man. So many people are getting temp banned from the steam forums for protesting (including myself). A lot of modders are taking down their content and heading over to Skyrim Nexus. I don't even know what Valve was thinking to be honest. Even the modders are going to be mad because they'll have to pay to use other addons to. Jesus, what a cluster f*ck this is...

I get what you're saying but I think your efforts should be directed toward mod makers and not Valve. They wouldn't have come up with this system if they didn't believe that there was money to be made. And how did they get the idea do you think? Likely from mod makers who wanted to charge for their work but had no vehicle to do so. Valve, like any other business, is always on the lookout for streams of revenue. So you certainly can't fault them for trying to do what any successful business does - try to make money. When all is said and done it's up to gamers to vote with their wallets. A petition with 15,000 signatures will do nothing to dissuade Valve, who has millions upon millions of gamers using their platform every day, away from easy money. You are right that there will be cases where mod makers will code a shitty mod for the sole purpose of making a cash grab. And there will be others who will do good work. Once again it's up to gamers to vote with their wallets. Support the good and starve the bad. You can't expect Valve to abandon a ton of money for the sole purpose of protecting people with more money than sense from themselves.

You make some valid points, but this whole thing just isn't... Valve/Bethesda style and it makes me upset to know that PC Gaming is coming to this.

I feel your pain, but it's going to continue as time goes on. For the last 6 or 7 years most game studios have focused on console platforms since they were the most popular. With the advent of Dx12 PC gaming is likely about to see a surge both in popularity and developer interest, as games will be able to run on some of the potatoes that people are holding onto. As more people buy and play PC games, game studios, developers and distributors will look to find more ways to cash in. It's up to we the gamers to decide which schemes succeed and which ones fail by either supporting them or not.

Now I want a couple of things out of this.

But first I will go over my worries.

• Content sharing.  EG Epoch.  Adding things like MAS weapons and altering said things.  Will this continue?  Will mod creators still co-curate? Doubtfull
  • Content Stealing
  • Overcharging
  • Non updating / Dead mod

Now that is my worries as a user of mods.  I think it could limit modding in a lot of ways.  However  I believe it could improve a lot of mods.  Give people money to work full time to get better mods.

So say steam are not going to remove the paywall and replace it with a donation.  I would like trials.  Now I know we have the 24 hour refund but a limited trial e.g a 3-4 days.  We could then truly test the mod and decide if its worth buying.

I just feel like most will pay download then refund atm.  Allow people to pirate the files.

Its just the tradition of FREE mods that steam is going against. Its not even a big deal. and steam gets 25% author gets the rest.

IIt's 25% Modders - 75% Steam. Modders don't even recieve money too unitl they reach $100 worth of purchases either.

It's not 75% steam... steam pays the publishers and game creators. I believe steam (valve)'s actual cut was around 35%.

Sadly, 99% of the outraged keyboard warriors have no idea about business decisions and value of IP when it comes to risk/reward with something like this.

It's not 75% steam... steam pays the publishers and game creators. I believe steam (valve)'s actual cut was around 35%.

Sadly, 99% of the outraged keyboard warriors have no idea about business decisions and value of IP when it comes to risk/reward with something like this.

Where did you see this at?