Sign in to follow this  
Ynox

F.A.Q. - Vehicles - locking/unlocking dynamics - please contribute

Hello,

This post should help users that are looking for answers and have something unclear with the vehicle locking/unlocking dynamics.

I will edit the 1st post to keep the answers up to date. 

"This way" - Ill mention topics that could help specify what I mean by the question deeper and also show you I know now and am not 100% sure of

1.) What does it mean an vehicle is LOCKED?

- Only the original player that LOCKED can UNLOCK it back again? (TRUE/FALSE ?)

This is TRUE - for some time, after the LOCK timer counts off (different to each server) anyone can UNLOCK the vehicle.

- Server Restart clears the link between vehicle and player? (TRUE - everyone can unlock? / FALSE ?)

This is FALSE - server restarts do not affect this link - only LOCK timer (different from server to server) does.

- Group members can UNLOCK an vehicle that their group member locked? (TRUE/FALSE ?)

- Can be locked only when in state UNLOCKED and NOONE is sitting inside. (TRUE/FALSE ?)

This is TRUE, both must be true to LOCK a vehicle.

2.) What does it mean an vehicle  is UNLOCKED?

- If found UNLOCKED any player can LOCK? (TRUE/FALSE ?)

3.) Is there a way of stealing/changing ownership of an LOCKED vehicle?

- Killing the owner (he is standing next to it) - does that do anything? (TRUE / FALSE ?)

Killing the owner of an LOCKED vehicle does nothing, sorry :-(

- Anything else... ?

Nothing beside LOCK timer thicking off..

4.) LOOTING an vehicle can be done only when in UNLOCKED state, right?

True.

SCENARIOS:

1.) I see a guy driving a KART (obviously UNLOCKED since he is driving) and I shoot him I can take his KART and use it as if I have bought it. True/False?

This is a TRUE scenario.

2.) I see a LOCKED vehicle and I would really love to use it (I cant UNLOCK it - there was no restart since locking) what can I do to take ownership?

- hide and wait for the owner to come and kill him right after he unlocks

True.

- wait for server restart and return afterwards?

False. Server restart does not affect this. The lock timer does.

- anything else?

Nope. Sorry :( Lockpicks may come later

3.) It is 3AM and I see an empty base with a chopper on top. Obviously there has been an restart, If I come there with my friend and a chopper, am I able to steal it?

Half true half false. The restart is not important - the lock timer is, so if that is gone, you may come and steal it very much!

4.) If I see a chopper landing in the safezone, and I am able to hide myself, as soon as he land, and gets out, in the time of <him getting out> and <locking> am I able to LOCK his chopper?

- if all players should take care if landing going up to the safezone with players near

True. Yet, its a 'dick' move and if you do it, ur a dick. :P

Thank you

SCENARIOS:

1.) I see a guy driving a KART (obviously UNLOCKED since he is driving) and I shoot him I can take his KART and use it as if I have bought it. True/False?

Yes thats True.

2.) I see a LOCKED vehicle and I would really love to use it (I cant UNLOCK it - there was no restart since locking) what can I do to take ownership?

- anything else?

Hopefully the server runs AutoLockPicker by second_coming

3.) It is 3AM and I see an empty base with a chopper on top. Obviously there has been an restart, If I come there with my friend and a chopper, am I able to steal it?

most likely YES unless the server has changed its lock times on veh. 

4.) If I see a chopper landing in the safe-zone, and I am able to hide myself, as soon as he land, and gets out, in the time of <him getting out> and <locking> am I able to LOCK his chopper?

- if all players should take care if landing going up to the safe-zone with players near

i suppose so if your quick enough but personally that would be a bit of a dick move but that's just my opinion :-)

i suppose so if your quick enough but personally that would be a bit of a dick move but that's just my opinion :-)

Totaly agree :D  but I was hovering my chopper over an safezone and people were gathering around and this came up to me ... :D so I flew off

1.) What does it mean an vehicle is LOCKED?
- Only the original player that LOCKED can UNLOCK it back again? (FALSE)
- Server Restart clears the link between vehicle and player? (FALSE)
- Group members can UNLOCK an vehicle that their group member locked? (TRUE)
- Can be locked only when in state UNLOCKED and NOONE is sitting inside. (FALSE?)

- Server restart used to reset the link. Now it is all depending on the lock time, as specified by Server Admin. THe Time remaining until unlock is tracked and saved in the DB and thus will persist through restart. 
- I believe you are able to lock someone into the car, although I have never tried. 

2.) What does it mean an vehicle  is UNLOCKED?
- If found UNLOCKED any player can LOCK? (TRUE)

3.) Is there a way of stealing/changing ownership of an LOCKED vehicle?
- Killing the owner (he is standing next to it) - does that do anything? (FALSE)
- Anything else... ?

- Killing the owner after he locked it will only give the satisfaction of killing him (and looting his body/crypto).

4.) LOOTING an vehicle can be done only when in UNLOCKED state, right?

- Yes, only when unlocked. If it is locked and you still can take things out of the vehicle, then you are either finding an exploit (report to server Admin) or having super severe lag. 

SCENARIOS:

- anything else?

By default, you cant unlock it until unlock timer have run out - camp the shit out of the vehicle and kill anyone that comes near. 
Alternatively (if not a supersized vehicle), call in a friend with a lifting Heli, hook it and fly it to a remote location you control and wait for unlock time to arrive. 

Depends on the Unlock time for vehicles - as it persists through restarts now, it all depends on Timer and how loch ago it was locked. 

It is a banable offense on most servers. No trolling in safe zones, which are usually three and with limited distance - black traders (no offense to white people). Otherwise I could just camp spawn point and jump into other people's vehicles once they buy them and fly away or even worse, kill them while they take off or drive off.

This rule is here for a reason.

- I believe you are able to lock someone into the car, although I have never tried. 

I tried. I locked myself in a car once (a car that was damaged so could not drive), was scared shitless until realized I can just log out and log in and will be outside of the car. It is a glitch, I think, which happens when you lock the vehicle too quickly without getting out completely.

- Yes, only when unlocked. If it is locked and you still can take things out of the vehicle, then you are either finding an exploit (report to server Admin) or having super severe lag.

Pretty much all big trucks and helicopters can be looted even if they are locked. Done it many times (to my own, of course). Another glitch (which happens only once though) when you run up to ANY vehicle and press inventory key. And are able to loot it. Also tested many times. Actually it is one of the first bugs I found out since started playing Epoch..

Pretty much all big trucks and helicopters can be looted even if they are locked. Done it many times (to my own, of course). Another glitch (which happens only once though) when you run up to ANY vehicle and press inventory key. And are able to loot it. Also tested many times. Actually it is one of the first bugs I found out since started playing Epoch..

Mind reproducing a few of the situations and post an issue about it in the Epoch Issue Tracker on Github? The more people that post issues (In a way that clearly states the ISSUE, provides reproduction steps and inform about what the server is running besides just Epoch). 

(Emphasis and Bold is what I deem important in any issue reporting, be it for Epoch or professionally. So if you do enter something, please make sure anyone reading it will get all teh info - that way developers can better troubleshoot and fix things.)  :) 

That locking myself in a car glitch I couldn't reproduce, it happens accidentally, not sure maybe it relates (probably it does) to server or client lag etc.

That looting locked vehicles, though, isn't very hard to reproduce, but again, it happens only once per restart (at least in my case). Let's say vehicle is locked, I get closer open my inventory and can loot the vehicle. I close inventory tried to perform same steps again - failure. So it would be pretty hard to explain. But I heard one person said that Arma 3 is just all triangles and shapes (regarding interaction) so you have to usually be very specific where you aim and yada yada (which is true) and basically it is Arma 3 thing and I don't think Epoch devs are to blame here.

Mind reproducing a few of the situations and post an issue about it in the Epoch Issue Tracker on Github? The more people that post issues (In a way that clearly states the ISSUE, provides reproduction steps and inform about what the server is running besides just Epoch). 

(Emphasis and Bold is what I deem important in any issue reporting, be it for Epoch or professionally. So if you do enter something, please make sure anyone reading it will get all teh info - that way developers can better troubleshoot and fix things.)   :)

i think most people are aware of this and should hopefully be being looked at already

That locking myself in a car glitch I couldn't reproduce, it happens accidentally, not sure maybe it relates (probably it does) to server or client lag etc.

That looting locked vehicles, though, isn't very hard to reproduce, but again, it happens only once per restart (at least in my case). Let's say vehicle is locked, I get closer open my inventory and can loot the vehicle. I close inventory tried to perform same steps again - failure. So it would be pretty hard to explain. But I heard one person said that Arma 3 is just all triangles and shapes (regarding interaction) so you have to usually be very specific where you aim and yada yada (which is true) and basically it is Arma 3 thing and I don't think Epoch devs are to blame here.

But they made the interaction thats ment to override it in the first place. so they should be able to fix it