Indestructible bases, why do you like that feature?

Tobias Solem

I've noticed that playing on a server with indestructible bases is popular. Now of course with 0.3.0.2, all the bases are almost indestructible, but still; some servers advertise it as a feature and obviously it appeals to plenty of people. So I'm wondering, what is it that appeals to you with the indestructible bases? Isn't raiding a critical part of Epoch gameplay? Or is the playstyle of gathering and building enough for some? 

I'd like to hear and understand the reasons if someone would explain them to me.

I used to have a full server constanly, then 1 group came along and went out their way to spoil peoples fun, they would destroy the jammer and move all the walls and floors, players would come back online and rebuild, after repeating it daily for over a week they got pissed off and left :( even the group who caused it had nobody to troll and left.

So now to keep all sides happy i have all base parts indestructible except for doors :)

So bases can be raided, loot can be stolen and vehicles destroyed but players don't have to rebuild daily, their base they spent days or weeks building will remain, they just have to go out and find new gear :D

Maybe if defences could be made i'd change it, until then it seems to work for my regulars.

and they all lived happily ever after .... until the heli they jump in blows to pieces :lol:

Richie nailed it on the head.  Too many people get their rocks off by destroying other people's shit when there's no need to do so.  Sure, they could just take down the door and maybe a wall or two....but no....they have to bring the whole structure down to the ground or just mess with people because it's 'fun'.  

You are correct, Tobias, that part of Epoch is doing base raids, and I'm in full support of that.  But if you carefully do an indestructible system then there can be good balance.  I have our servers set up so that cinder and wooden doors can still be taken down, but walls, floors and jammers cannot.  That way people can still raid bases, but it discourages the trolls since they can't move anything significant, or possibly worse just, because they can.  And of course, the owner of the plot pole can still move things at will. Everybody wins, except for the trolls.   :D

I used to have a full server constanly, then 1 group came along and went out their way to spoil peoples fun, they would destroy the jammer and move all the walls and floors, players would come back online and rebuild, after repeating it daily for over a week they got pissed off and left :( even the group who caused it had nobody to troll and left.

So now to keep all sides happy i have all base parts indestructible except for doors :)

So bases can be raided, loot can be stolen and vehicles destroyed but players don't have to rebuild daily, their base they spent days or weeks building will remain, they just have to go out and find new gear :D

Maybe if defences could be made i'd change it, until then it seems to work for my regulars.

and they all lived happily ever after .... until the heli they jump in blows to pieces :lol:

Mine was not full by any means but had a good core 15/20 weekend nights.. good enough for us.. but same things guys came on every night and trashed then when players left so did they.. :(...i don't really car any more.. since all the player left i've sort of lost interest.. and then came along gta v:)

seems like a good reason to abandon epoch to the devs for a couple of versions.. let them get on with it..! was released to early but we all moaned we wanted it..

I haven't raided a base on the server I play on, so I'm not sure if they're indestructable right now.  But I'll add my perspective anyway.

I've had random parts disappear from my base a couple times.  1 or 2 floors or a floor and a wall, never more than 2-3 pieces.  Nothing ever missing, so unsure why it disappeared to begin with.  Rebuilding those missing parts never goes well.  Nothing ever lines up again, floors going flying up in the air (with me on them sometimes), and all kinds of various things.  I could see people wanting indestructable bases just because of how screwed up building is right now.  If everything went back together (or together the first time) the way it should, maybe it wouldn't be as much of a problem.  There will no doubt still be people who prefer not having to deal with being base raided, but personally rebuilding missing/blown up parts is terrible.  I'd prefer they level the whole thing and I start from scratch then have to fix a couple of pieces.

I haven't raided a base on the server I play on, so I'm not sure if they're indestructable right now.  But I'll add my perspective anyway.

I've had random parts disappear from my base a couple times.  1 or 2 floors or a floor and a wall, never more than 2-3 pieces.  Nothing ever missing, so unsure why it disappeared to begin with.  Rebuilding those missing parts never goes well.  Nothing ever lines up again, floors going flying up in the air (with me on them sometimes), and all kinds of various things.  I could see people wanting indestructable bases just because of how screwed up building is right now.  If everything went back together (or together the first time) the way it should, maybe it wouldn't be as much of a problem.  There will no doubt still be people who prefer not having to deal with being base raided, but personally rebuilding missing/blown up parts is terrible.  I'd prefer they level the whole thing and I start from scratch then have to fix a couple of pieces.

Exactly.. hard enough to build a nice base.. but patching after a raid.. hopeless.. It will get better but for now.. just no fun at all.. and a lot of servers seem to be finding this sadly:(..

It's simple - Base raiding takes away peoples hard work and hours spent playing, some have thick skin and get right back into re-building and see it as part of the game.. Majority just say fuck it, and move on to a new server/game. Admins have a hard enough time as it is keeping numbers up so making bases indestructible removes that issue. 

My issue at the moment is this - BALANCE:

Cinder bases are far too easy to make, and too hard to blow up (8-10 satchels per wall). This leaves players with 1 option when it comes to raiding:

1. Glitch/dupe/exploit

Consider that a group of 4-5 can farm up enough supplies to triple stack entrances/walls meaning for anyone to get in they need 30+ explosives satchels minimum... This is A. unrealistic and B. something that encourages players to glitch/dupe/exploit in order to base raid....

Also consider that when a group's 3x cinder stacked base (which is seemingly impenetrable) is levelled it's usually due to foul play so said group will get upset and move sever...

Can I also say that there is nothing boring about PVP in general. Big groups can have just as much fun infiltrating a high-loot area and enjoying PVP using squad tactics to get the job done... Base raiding to me can be fun if the enemy is there to defend but most kids do it at stupid hours and as a mean to troll... Not to actually gain needed supplies...

Edit:

I should add that I don't care to base raid, I also don't care if i am raided... I just enjoy PVP, Squad tactics, building and sniping in general

How about coding it so if someone in a group attached to a jammer is online, then the jammer is a"Active" and base parts become destructible then, and for a nominal time after the group members log out. 15 mins or something?

If there's no one from the group online, the jammer is "passive" and base parts become much tougher/indestructible.

This stops offline raids, and also counters groups logging off to make the base indestructible when they get attacked.

Epoch is about building and raiding, plain and simple. Indestructible parts make it Minecraftpoch or Legopoch PVP.

I have played on a server that has indestructible bases, except for the doors.  Very nice balance.  Puts a premium on how many doors you can string together for protection, yet still allows for raiding. 

I imagine this could easily be abused where you could build an impenetrable base.

Just have an outer wall with doors and then an inner wall with no doors.

You just treat some of the inner walls as "doors" and move them when you need too.

A pain, but yeah the base becomes impenetrable.

I imagine this could easily be abused where you could build an impenetrable base.

Just have an outer wall with doors and then an inner wall with no doors.

You just treat some of the inner walls as "doors" and move them when you need too.

A pain, but yeah the base becomes impenetrable.

It's up to server admins to police it.  Make it known that doing such things is highly frowned upon.  Admins can easily use the tools at their disposal to check for violations and can delete any walls that may be obstructing normal, legal gameplay.  

hi

i only build on indestructible base server's due to people only ever raid when your offline i've only ever had 2 people try to raid me when i was online.

on the flip side i love taking base's on adk when we left the server (which had indestructible base's) i had 35% ish of the database under my name from base take over's (learn to build) so it would be nice to have a system in place to slow down attackers when the owners are offline (maybe detriment by any one who has opened the doors in the 3 weeks) not stop them but make it a incredible slow process when there are all offline.

Let me sketch a picture from a different part of the world. Locally we have less than 10 servers available with pings below 100ms which mean our options are very limited. These servers then need to cater for both PVE and PVP players. Now myself leaning more towards PVE don't really appreciate it when I log in after a long day at the office to find my base in pieces after I spend the previous week gathering the resources to get it built. Also not all players can spend the amount of time in game that some other players can, thus making the most of the time they have available becomes very important. Spending 50% of your time available picking up the pieces of an offline raid kills the joy of the game.

Now linking a player of a group to the jammer seems to be a good option and I will support such a choice, but with a few added items. What I find a bit "unfair" though is the fact that vechicles can be dropped on your base without any real defence against it. My group had a situation where a group with 2 Mohawks came to our base and slinged the vechicles we gathered on an excursion. We emptied 3 mags of 12.7mm AP rounds into the one with no effect what so ever. They promptly dropped these vechicles on our base and left. Basically only gave us grief and nothing else. And for this reason I would like to add that anything (cars, heli's, bikes, etc) within the jammer radius cannot be moved by anyone outside of the group or owner of the jammer when locked. Also I think balance must be looked at from the perspective of "what can attack vs what can stop the attack" because of the attackers mostly using arial assault and not the boots on the ground type assaults.

I do not care about raiding other players bases because that is not what Epoch is about to me. To me Epoch is about surviving against what remains of the pre extinction society (AI, Drones, Sappers) and fellow players are like me, a clone trying to build, explore and survive a harsh environment and not base raiding.

"Arma3: Epoch Mod

Epoch Mod is a hybrid of genres with elements of science fiction and horror. Epoch is set in 2035, just two years after a massive world wide extinction. The exact cause is unknown and the only people left are clones with no memory of the past. Documents found in the world tell a us that before the mass extinction event, The largest technology corporation had made great breakthroughs. This technology changed the world in many ways and is thought to be the cause of the extinction. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society. Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment."

I understand that different players like different things and for that reason I support making a base indestructable and maybe doors not (must however be difficult to do, not impossible) etc. It will allow for all players to still have their way of fun without having one or the other frustrated by it.

I've noticed that playing on a server with indestructible bases is popular. Now of course with 0.3.0.2, all the bases are almost indestructible, but still; some servers advertise it as a feature and obviously it appeals to plenty of people. So I'm wondering, what is it that appeals to you with the indestructible bases? Isn't raiding a critical part of Epoch gameplay? Or is the playstyle of gathering and building enough for some? 

I'd like to hear and understand the reasons if someone would explain them to me.

You've only decided to ask that now? as it's been a common thing since early A2 dayz epoch!!

Personally, I do not think Epoch is about raiding, as I said before, it is just a tiny feature. However, current patch made it much harder (not impossible, just harder) to destroy base parts and it is a good thing. So there is hardly a need for indestructable bases, unless servers is solely PVE.

Either way, satchels are rare and if you play alone, it will take weeks to find enough satchels just to be able to blow up a few walls and so the bigger groups have it always easier, as the chance to find explosives doubles or triples. Furthermore, new people do not know how to build a good base which would be hard to raid or even glitch in (many do not even know about glitching in), so they for example, build bases with no foundations (I did it too in my first two weeks in Epoch), or they build foundations so low or not high enough that it is possible to crawl under them, stand up, and loot their shelfs, vehicles, even GET into vehicles which are just on the floor behind ONE set of walls.

So what people complaining about their bases getting raided need to do, is to logically think like an attacker and try to make safer base, not some 3x3 box with 1 floor and helipad on top. It basically takes just to blow up one or maybe two walls to gain access to all their loot.

Better to have smaller garage and smaller base, but with triple walls, 20 locked doors and keeping everything in a fricking LOCKBOXES. And it doesn't take a huge group to build something like that, you can do it alone (I play alone usually), but most people are lazy and think "eh, 1 door locked, it will do it, it is good enough protection for our loot" and I am not talking about Epoch newbies, but people who build fortresses (so obviously they have time to build) but so idiotic, that you need to blow up literally 1 or 2 walls (doors whatever) and get inside.

Currently I am just curious, how easy it is to blow up the stairs though? 1 satchel? 4 satchels?

Either way, satchels are rare and if you play alone, it will take weeks to find enough satchels just to be able to blow up a few walls

That depends on the server, on mine you can craft satchels, takes a few items but you can make your own rather than finding them.

How about coding it so if someone in a group attached to a jammer is online, then the jammer is a"Active" and base parts become destructible then, and for a nominal time after the group members log out. 15 mins or something?

If there's no one from the group online, the jammer is "passive" and base parts become much tougher/indestructible.

This stops offline raids, and also counters groups logging off to make the base indestructible when they get attacked.

Epoch is about building and raiding, plain and simple. Indestructible parts make it Minecraftpoch or Legopoch PVP.

This, so much this.

Most of the trolls attack bases when no owner is online and completely demolish that base. This would make that more difficult for the trolls.

Bases should be raidable.

Personally, I do not think Epoch is about raiding, as I said before, it is just a tiny feature. However, current patch made it much harder (not impossible, just harder) to destroy base parts and it is a good thing. So there is hardly a need for indestructable bases, unless servers is solely PVE.

Either way, satchels are rare and if you play alone, it will take weeks to find enough satchels just to be able to blow up a few walls and so the bigger groups have it always easier, as the chance to find explosives doubles or triples. Furthermore, new people do not know how to build a good base which would be hard to raid or even glitch in (many do not even know about glitching in), so they for example, build bases with no foundations (I did it too in my first two weeks in Epoch), or they build foundations so low or not high enough that it is possible to crawl under them, stand up, and loot their shelfs, vehicles, even GET into vehicles which are just on the floor behind ONE set of walls.

So what people complaining about their bases getting raided need to do, is to logically think like an attacker and try to make safer base, not some 3x3 box with 1 floor and helipad on top. It basically takes just to blow up one or maybe two walls to gain access to all their loot.

Better to have smaller garage and smaller base, but with triple walls, 20 locked doors and keeping everything in a fricking LOCKBOXES. And it doesn't take a huge group to build something like that, you can do it alone (I play alone usually), but most people are lazy and think "eh, 1 door locked, it will do it, it is good enough protection for our loot" and I am not talking about Epoch newbies, but people who build fortresses (so obviously they have time to build) but so idiotic, that you need to blow up literally 1 or 2 walls (doors whatever) and get inside.

Currently I am just curious, how easy it is to blow up the stairs though? 1 satchel? 4 satchels?

if it can be touched it can be glitched, no one can even touch my base only with there eyes lol

I'll take this yet another step down the road.  I have also played on a server where we built a base in the editor.  The only thing that could be destroyed was the doors....however....the nice thing is that every server reset brings the complete base back.  The jammer must be reachable behind a door as well, and it can be destroyed.  What makes this nice is, since you can't be online around the clock, you know your base will be there and probably in perfect condition, even if it got hit hard. 

What do you mean, DayZ Vet? like it is possible to somehow vault through locked doors/gates or even walls? All I know about glitching, is crawling under the floors and then standing up and looting (that's why I always build high foundations now) and another glitch was driving a vehicle very close to a gate (that's why it is better to have two sets of gates close to one another) and all that stuff. I have no idea how it is possible to warp through walls or doors though.

What do you mean, DayZ Vet? like it is possible to somehow vault through locked doors/gates or even walls? All I know about glitching, is crawling under the floors and then standing up and looting (that's why I always build high foundations now) and another glitch was driving a vehicle very close to a gate (that's why it is better to have two sets of gates close to one another) and all that stuff. I have no idea how it is possible to warp through walls or doors though.

its crazly easy to glitch walls and doors