Ground Textures and Mask Image

cring0

So I started my mask image several days ago, but I've been kicking around which textures to use and which colors they should occupy.  If I understand this correctly, you can only use so many colors because you don't want colors that are too similar, and that limits how many different textures you can use... no?  Or is it just suggested that you keep from using similar colors out of chance of human error?

I've seen a good bit talked about the mask image and the process, but not really as much about which colors you should use, how limited you are in selecting different textures, etc.  One big source I've found is BI's own surface map legend, which doesn't give color values.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:SurfaceMapLegend.png

As of now, this is what I've been leaning toward:

DO6Qtg9.png

I've added a color by taking away orange and making dark orange and yellow-orange colors.  Notice I tried to keep certain surfaces that I'd imagine would most likely be near each other on the terrain from being a similar color.

I'd really like to hear what some of you other guys have done.  Suggestions, slap me and tell me I'm doing it wrong, etc.

I kept mine simple using RGB colours, so i have :

I also have smaller areas using 110,110,110 and other variations - You get the point ?

I find it easier to manage, try it or work out your own system, just don't go over the limit of 6 colours or textures per cell

Hopefully it makes sense to simply use concrete/tarmac/gravel textures for secondary and back roads instead of actually using road objects.  I'm thinking that should cut down on a lot of object clutter.  I'm hoping it will cut down on a lot of time spent on placing objects as well.  From what I understand placing roads are a pain in the ass.  Maybe it's not so bad using X-cam.

In A2 it would have been a bit silly to rely on ground textures for roads since driving off-road slowed you down considerably.  It's so much better in A3 so..  I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem.

I'd also like to comment more about how much work must have went into Altis.  Holy f%#k.

Hopefully it makes sense to simply use concrete/tarmac/gravel textures for secondary and back roads instead of actually using road objects.  I'm thinking that should cut down on a lot of object clutter.  I'm hoping it will cut down on a lot of time spent on placing objects as well.  From what I understand placing roads are a pain in the ass.  Maybe it's not so bad using X-cam.

In A2 it would have been a bit silly to rely on ground textures for roads since driving off-road slowed you down considerably.  It's so much better in A3 so..  I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem.

I'd also like to comment more about how much work must have went into Altis.  Holy f%#k.

Placing roads in TB is much simpler than in Vis3,.

It's a bit fiddly to get setup - look in the terrain forum on BI Forums for more roads info.

It's basically as simple as placing poly-lines where you want your roads - adding extra vertices where you require junctions and using the snap tool to connect your polylines to them,. Then select them all and set them up in the Database.

Once your done export them as a shapefile,.. point your map config to the correct file for your roads, and setup your RoadsLib.cfg and wallah - it's almost too easy ;) :P

NB - You need to setup proper roads + AIpathOffset's in your RoadsLib.cfg - Or else AI will not see your roads to follow them and the offset lets them know which side of the road to drive on ;) - If anyone uses your map for a mission involving AI, they will not work as intended as they have no "paths" to follow regarding the roads.

NBB - When roads are placed clutter is automatically removed from the paths they take.

NB - You need to setup proper roads + AIpathOffset's in your RoadsLib.cfg - Or else AI will not see your roads to follow them and the offset lets them know which side of the road to drive on ;) - If anyone uses your map for a mission involving AI, they will not work as intended as they have no "paths" to follow regarding the roads.

Ah, I didn't take that into consideration.  Thanks!

It's basically as simple as placing poly-lines where you want your roads - adding extra vertices where you require junctions and using the snap tool to connect your polylines to them,. Then select them all and set them up in the Database.

You can't use the snapping tool with shapes, only objects, that's what Bushlurker told me and i've not been able to get them to snap either.

Just drag them and use BD to view, adjust and view again until happy.

You can't use the snapping tool with shapes, only objects, that's what Bushlurker told me and i've not been able to get them to snap either.

Just drag them and use BD to view, adjust and view again until happy.

It works fine for me :D

They have to snap to a vertice on your polyline, they wont snap onto the line without a vertice being there :)

Ah ha sussed :D

It's all automatic, i was trying to use the join function.

Okay so basically have a vertice on the junction or where the roads join, enable snapping in TB, then move your 2nd road over the vertice and it snaps automagically.

Ah ha sussed :D

It's all automatic, i was trying to use the join function.

Okay so basically have a vertice on the junction or where the roads join, enable snapping in TB, then move your 2nd road over the vertice and it snaps automagically.

Yip :)