[TUTORIAL] Quick Bulletpoint-style Notes to Set Up a Arma 3 Epoch Dedicated Server

mgm

Following the forum software upgrade, this post became invisible. I can't seem to make it work any more not sure what's wrong and don't have the time to mess with it any more.

Here is a quick fix, I took the code 1st post BB code and converted to HTML.
Published the resulting HTML code in GitLab repo at https://gitlab.com/themgm/Arma_3_Misc/raw/master/HOWTO_setup_Arma_3_Epoch_Dedicated_Server/HOWTO_setup_Arma_3_Epoch_Dedicated_Server.html

Sadly the one above does show as TEXT and not HTML web page.

Here is a hack to the hack, I copy & pasted the code to a web developer pastebin-like site, here is the link:

http://output.jsbin.com/cejamiwaxa

Until I have time to troubleshoot just use the above link please.

To mods: this new forum software does seem to suck BTW :(

Edited by mgm

I still see people saying setup BEC, as far as im aware BEC is discontinued and i couldnt find any other mirrors trustworthy enough.

Am i not looking hard enough?

Thanks for stopping by to comment.

This is an Arma2 tutorial (more like personal notes) that has just been updated for Arma3.

In the text, if you look closely, you will see just above setup BEC there is another line (with bigger fonts):

OPTIONAL NEXT ACTIONS: Consider doing the following

• Set up BEC

Why "consider"?

Because I did not need BEC for a test system, I did not research, and I do not know. Now that you mentioned, I will research and update it however so that others can benefit from your attention to detail. Thanks!

Might be worth adding the microsoft redistributables and directx update, needed for fresh server installations, Bec won't run without 2005

Good guide though Mgm, should help a lot of people :)

ah yes I remember the prep packages now that you mentioned. I will add it and give credit, thanks rich

okay updated - a lot.

credit given to the contributors, thanks V1va & Richie!

I still see people saying setup BEC, as far as im aware BEC is discontinued and i couldnt find any other mirrors trustworthy enough.

Am i not looking hard enough?

It turns out you can still use it - see the guide in 1st post on how. (this is only for educational purposes of course as the developer does not allow its use any more).

very good guide sir! hopefully it will come in handy for new players looking to setup there own servers for a bit of fun!

thx

update: 2 small improvements to the 1st post.

• 20150416 change: formatting: a couple of formatting improvements & fix to inconsistent empty line spacing.
  • 20150416 change: moved section into a spoiler:    Keep on mind: The Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

guys, let me know if you think there is anything else that needs to be added.

Good work, but it isn't completely working for me.

If i run the script.respawnA3Epoch.bat it says it cannot find the redis-server.exe

hYXen.th.jpg

but the path is right and i guess the script fails to find the redis-server process?...

If i run the redis server manually, all is good.

A few suggestions, your links in the startpost aren't working anymore and i would add -autoinit to your startparameters for the server.

Especally for debuging.

If i run the script.respawnA3Epoch.bat it says it cannot find the redis-server.exe

hYXen.th.jpg

but the path is right and i guess the script fails to find the redis-server process?...

A few suggestions, your links in the startpost aren't working anymore and i would add -autoinit to your startparameters for the server.

Especally for debuging.

Thanks for the feedback.

That redis thing is something I figure every time and really simple. I cant remember now though lol

I wasn't aware that fix didn't make it into the tutorial. It should be here. I'm on tablet at the moment I will check when I'm home and post an update.

Apologies for broken links. If you google for gitlab themgm you should be able to find whatever is missing. Will fix tonight.

hYXen.th.jpg

Especally for debuging.

Okay, thanks for the heads up - I have updated the 1st post and fixed the broken links.

The issue with redis launcher is: it is not aware where it is (under which directory it resides). see the picture issue_with_original_redis_launcher_script.png => here.

SOLUTION: add full path to it or use the one I supply here => https://gitlab.com/themgm/Arma_3_Misc/raw/master/HOWTO_setup_Arma_3_Epoch_Dedicated_Server/start-redis.cmd(it's a 1 line script only - just adding fullpath to each file...). This has also been fixed in the first post so no more redis launcher errors. ever. that's a promise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Time to meet DwarferDwarfer wants to play BEC, if you want to join him,  Risking it but to state the obvious the above information is for educational purposes only (just in the name of science, you know) and I would definitely not condone overriding any licenses under no circumstance. I am 99% sure that's why Dwarfer posted it in the first place and many people are running experiments on it every day. Noone is doing it for personal gain. Glad we cleared that.

HAHAHA Only just seen this.. Yes 100% science and for "reference" ;-)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide! However I'm having this is odd problem.. After completing step 7 at the beginning, in the command prompt, after it successfully updates it says my password is invalid. The thing is, it is NOT invalid. The username and password IS correct - I even copy pasted them from the file into steam and logged in successfully

???

EDIT: I "fixed" it by changing my password to a very basic password without capitals and other non-basic letters and it worked immediately. Seems like Steamcmd doesn't accept the same range of characters/length of the steam program itself, so they force you to use a weak password to use it.

Thanks for the guide! However I'm having this is odd problem.. After completing step 7 at the beginning, in the command prompt, after it successfully updates it says my password is invalid. The thing is, it is NOT invalid. The username and password IS correct - I even copy pasted them from the file into steam and logged in successfully

???

EDIT: I "fixed" it by changing my password to a very basic password without capitals and other non-basic letters and it worked immediately. Seems like Steamcmd doesn't accept the same range of characters/length of the steam program itself, so they force you to use a weak password to use it.

hey man, you have 1 post but still took the time to come back and EDIT your post to share your experience/tip. thanks for that!

EDIT: Added your tip to the guide - thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant see the bullet points.

The new forum software seem to have ruined my very detailed 1st post - sorry about that.
Not a great way of doing it but I have placed a temporary workaround in the 1st post above.

Thanks for pointing out.

• 6 months later...

9 months later, I'm re-installing latest arma3dedi server + epoch and following the guide above [as linked in the OP]. I tried to fix the OP but forum software still doesn't seem to be letting me...

anyway, if you click on the link in OP, the output.jsbin.com web site link, then only focus on the right side pane [preview pane] you can still see the original post and content seem to be pretty much valid.

C:\root\dediserver apparently became C:rootdediserver so obviously that  will need a bit of attention.

I will keep working on it and post any updates/changes I might find.