Question about making a test server

Insanityplea88

Question

Hi all! I am very new to both these forums and anything involved with administrating a server and/or setting one up to run correctly. Basically I'm new to anything involved with a server. I'm making this post to ask for some serious help because I really do enjoy having my own server that I can learn from and experience new code and script from. The biggest issue that I'm having right now is that I cannot seem to find a way to create my very own personal test server that is hosted directly off of my net. I'm not sure if I'm just being ignorant to what is in front of me or I have seriously miscalculated a step in the process of creating my own server. I was under the assumption that I could make my own server that I could run directly off of my internet so I would have the ability to test out mods and basically just use that as my learning server and then I could implement what I have learned into the server that I now own. (I just recently purchased a server from vilayer and I am having an incredible amount of trouble understanding how to operate the server.) I understand the very basics of operations, that is, scheduling restarts, backup, and using their mod manager to add maps and necessary mods to my server. Once I get past that step, I'm stumped. it seems that every tutorial I read or watch is solely based on me having to create my very own file system. Being a vilayer customer, I'm kind of screwed because the server folder is setup completely differently from what a server folder created by myself or anyone else would look like. PLEASE if any could assist me on getting down some of the basic things to do that would be amazing. I am an extremely good listener and learner, it will just take a bit of repetition before I can go off on my own! Thank you for your time!

Also, if any information is needed (within reason), I will gladly give you what I can for the purpose of assisting me!

9 answers to this question

Watch this video this helped me out alot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xrSn4jp6M This is the one i used to set up my server and a test server. I run the main server from my Desk top, and test server from my lap top.

If you are planning on cutting cost and run the main server, from your own pc, you'll need a server OS for more then 10+ ppl. If only small group or just test server, reg OS like win 7 or win 8 will be just fine.

Agreed, Nox's video is the most concise and easy to follow guide on setting up a server for the first timer. I have a PC at home (apart from the one I play on) that has 2 SSD's in it, one for each server instance I test for. I make changes to that, then if after testing it all works flawlessly, I upload the changes to my live servers. Makes life a LOT easier ....

I will add one thing to this, and it's going to sound very very extremely newbie of me. 

As I said, I don't have much experience with servers and the experience I have has been gained through the last couple of days with trial and error.

How exactly do I correctly setup an FTP server so that I can actually get things uploaded. I've never used FTP except with like utorrent and thats so point and click that I didnt ever bother to look into it deeper.