[Suggestion] Coastal Traders

DrScandalous

I'd love to see two things:

• Two type of dynamic traders: land-based & coastal. Land based traders are like the current ones. Coastal traders would be traders that show up on the waters edge or within X meters of the coast. Why? Because....
  • Water Vehicles only tradable at coastal traders. This would help encourage players to use boats properly and not just fly over them with a liftable heli and lift them inland to sell at a trader where they could never possibly be bought for proper use. 

Essentially it would require breaking the dynamic traders into two sets of spawn coord sets (I think, I'm not a coder) and require two sets of trader inventory systems? 

Not sure how that would actually work or if it's feasable... but I think it would really add to the game. 

Reason for posting this: I want to go salvage diving and need a boat... and realized there's a very good chance that all of the boats are probably 3k inland, sitting in traders with no hope of ever being used properly until they expire. 

I thought that was the whole point of smoke or chem lights?

Doesn't help with selling boats.  Not everybody has a chopper to lift them somewhere to sell.

Coastal traders or remove boats.  At the moment, all I do is check them for loot when I find them, then leave them.  Central spawn is the only place you can sell them without towing/lifting them and it's a long boring boat ride that's not worth the krypto.

I have added static traders (another black dots) near the cost, will that work or am I missing the point here?

So I basically have the main traders you can teleport to and 2 locations placed north and south that are close by the coast.

When I originally posted I was thinking of just keeping coastal traders as dynamic (with the normal dynamic trader attributes), just limiting their spawn locations to being near the water and adjusting the traders overall so that only THOSE traders would be able to buy/sell boats. 

I think it might be smart to remove vehicles from traders altogether (individual servers not globally). All you need is a handful of guys to jump on your server who hunt down and sell every vehicle on the map, which people do on popular servers, so everyone is left to running everywhere they want to go, which leads to less player interaction and greater impatience, which you know.. could be a reason why people get bored quick and quit playing. Can't sell vehicles at traders means people are going to use them more and more can be found on the map.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.. but to each his own.

I mean, sure, you can jump into the database every day to wipe vehicles from traders.. have fun with that.

I am not sure what map you are using, but how about you find the class names for a light house or boat house if you have it on ur map, and add it to your allowed dynamic trader building list?

I'm not a server owner/operator... just a player... but that makes total sense. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll do anything to limit/restrict what vehicles are tradeable there... but once again, I'm not a coder, so I could just be talking out of my ass here. 

I think it might be smart to remove vehicles from traders altogether (individual servers not globally). All you need is a handful of guys to jump on your server who hunt down and sell every vehicle on the map, which people do on popular servers, so everyone is left to running everywhere they want to go, which leads to less player interaction and greater impatience, which you know.. could be a reason why people get bored quick and quit playing. Can't sell vehicles at traders means people are going to use them more and more can be found on the map.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.. but to each his own.

I mean, sure, you can jump into the database every day to wipe vehicles from traders.. have fun with that.

Sounds good on paper, but I think once players discovered this to be the case you'd find that they would leave the server... but that's just my opinion. 

But if you remove boats, it sure makes looting sunken wrecks offshore a major pain in the ass... as in, nobody would EVER do it. I would be REALLY bummed if boats were to ever go away entirely... 

Boats in general are a major pain.  While I'd love for them to be useful, IMO they're more trouble than they are worth right now.