Taxi & Bus | Transport for Arma

mgm

Tons of work got done yesterday, at the end of the night I ran a 2 restart live test of the rebuild And TfA was a hit. I had about 5 members play around with it with success.

Going to continue my test with the 4 th fixed location this afternoon

thanks for the best news in this thread, so far!

oh well actually 2nd best news. The real best news in this thread was y u guys no appreciate - they are all bandwith optimized models for 60+ FPS :(

same pb no menu to call taxi & those error this time in rpt:

15:45:56 Error in expression <"; uiSleep 0.05; _mgmTfA_CATPagentUnit3 setPosATL mgmTfA_configgv_catp03Location>

15:45:56   Error position: <setPosATL mgmTfA_configgv_catp03Location>

15:45:56   Error 2 elements provided, 3 expected

15:45:56 File x\addons\custom\serverside\mgmTfA\hzbkedsoaqsuchuk.sqf, line 1

15:45:56 Error in expression <"; uiSleep 0.05; _mgmTfA_CATPagentUnit2 setPosATL mgmTfA_configgv_catp02Location>

15:45:56   Error position: <setPosATL mgmTfA_configgv_catp02Location>

15:45:56   Error 2 elements provided, 3 expected

15:45:56 File x\addons\custom\serverside\mgmTfA\iiszgkwlebrzjcpu.sqf, line 1

well, you won't have menu because the Call-a-Taxi-Point objects are failing to load.

This is due to missing items in _settings.hpp. I am back to my PC, I could fix it for you now in 2 seconds but (you won't believe it) gitlab.com is down.

you are really unlucky buddy.

hakimos00.

I have had success in all my tests with TfA, there might have been a few bugs here and there, but it ran every time without problems.

I am sure you have something in the wrong place or a wrong edit or a wrong version.

Remove all TfA testing materials from your test server and start over, keep a log of your moves and changes and especially your edits.

This will make it easier for you to update to a new version without scratching your head about what and where you did your customizations.

Good Luck! :)

ps. Mgm Im looking at years of practice before I can attain that level of advanced artistry, name change is necessary Van Googh suits

I think I located the problem I 'll let you know if it works .

Thx for help

I think I located the problem too - you somehow ended up with 0.3.2 files with the known issue #16? :)

Download a new copy of latest release 0.3.3 please.

gitlab is back up

Hi mgm

I have done some testing and after reinstalling the latest release found the following results....

1. All three static taxi calling spots worked great, I have not added a 4th destination yet to test this.

2. Click n Go....Pressing m three times worked and got the script is searching for my location, taxi on route. Then a window pops up saying click left button and select drop off location... clicking left button did nothing so pressed m to bring up map... then got message saying taxi is already in use but I can still click on the map to select my destination. Then the taxi shows up and stops I hop in and it sits there, I get no pay option. I wait for 2 minutes hop out then taxi drives of to the termination spot.

3. Do a server restart and go through the same procedure as step 2 but this time the taxi does not stop and continues on to the termination spot ?

I am sure I have done something wrong in the procedure and wondered if I need to wait for the taxi to arrive before clicking on left button ? haven't checked this yet. The above was for both admin and player.

Keep up the good work bud, this script will be great

Hi mgm

I have done some testing and after reinstalling the latest release found the following results....

1. All three static taxi calling spots worked great, I have not added a 4th destination yet to test this.

2. Click n Go....Pressing m three times worked and got the script is searching for my location, taxi on route. Then a window pops up saying click left button and select drop off location... clicking left button did nothing so pressed m to bring up map... then got message saying taxi is already in use but I can still click on the map to select my destination. Then the taxi shows up and stops I hop in and it sits there, I get no pay option. I wait for 2 minutes hop out then taxi drives of to the termination spot.

3. Do a server restart and go through the same procedure as step 2 but this time the taxi does not stop and continues on to the termination spot ?

I am sure I have done something wrong in the procedure and wondered if I need to wait for the taxi to arrive before clicking on left button ? haven't checked this yet. The above was for both admin and player.

Keep up the good work bud, this script will be great

Hi Insem,

Thanks for the feedback.

#1 I'm happy Fixed Destination Taxis working fine. With regards to #2 & #3, I am doing more tests at the moment. This is being a learning curve how to get around various issues. I'm not sure if it's EpochAntiHack blocking that PayNow button. I will find out. What I am sure is it is definitely blocking KeyDown events [i.e.: press INS key to call a taxi]. I understand why Epoch AntiHack exists but so far it's done nothing but made my life difficult :D

It appears, without a GUI, non-EpochAntiHack-admins cannot use even the simplest KeyPress events. I can come up with more weird (and increasingly complex) keyPress combinations just like the infamous "triple map open" but it started to get weird even for me. To keep sanity (what's left) I am convinced that we need a GUI.

Now the problem is Arma GUI business is something relatively difficult to get in to. If possible I would prefer not to waste any time on it.

I found a basic GUI and contacted the scripter, if he grants me permission I will import his GUI when you open & close the map 3 times, it will activate TfA GUI from there we will have our functions such as:

• Call a clickNGo Taxi
  • Change (clickNGo Taxi) Destination
  • Pay (clickNGo) Initial Service Fee
  • Stop the Bus!        (when player is out: Stop the near by on the move Bus! I want to get in)
  • Stop the Bus!        (when player is in: Stop the Bus I am in, I don't want to break my legs :P )

If he doesn't permit I will have to sit down, learn this stuff and write my own, which will mean another week at least. I keep getting interrupted every time I start working on the buses lol

EDIT: with regards to your question towards the end, for test purposes, if you have the option, try with Epoch antihack turned off state. (if still doesn't work the other thing is turning BattlEye filters to log only - again just for test purposes, all these issues will need to be addressed before I can even suggest using this on a production server, hence the Alpha in the name. Hopefully we will get there, soon.)

EDIT2: BTW it may not be the cause of the issue you experienced, but I am aware things like this below happen.

vBnoNOb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Y94YtGT.jpg

As per 2nd screenshot in spoiler, eventually AI driver managed to break down the wall and proceeded to Requestor location to pick up the potential customer. It was a total waste of player's time however.

Player waiting there for 30 seconds while AI breaks down a silly wall.

I think I already have the solution to this, I will make it so that it won't spawn near buildings - that is half of the solution.

AI driver might still get stuck on the way to destination as some objects (metal fences for example) are not visible to the AI and it drives head on and sometimes get stuck.

I am thinking about a monitoring process to continously scan each AI vehicle's last n seconds movement progress and give seemingly stuck vehicles a mini teleport it's a bit magic (I want to keep this realistic) but mini-magic is better than being realistic & wasting our esteemed players time.

GUI creator gave permission to use his work, we'll have a GUI soon yay! Thanks Mikie boy!

This should solve half of the inconsistent state problems we have been having with different AntiHack enabled/not enabled, player is antihackadmin/or not etc. etc. it should work for everybody, every single time.

good weekend ahead.

hey hakimos, did re-downloading fix the issue for you?

Thx script working now :)

But there is one problem when u call a taxi he drop u before destination & the taxi continu alone to destination :)

and sometimes when u call taxi u can't get inside & he go alone to destination again :)

Thx script working now :)

But there is one problem when u call a taxi he drop u before destination & the taxi continu alone to destination :)

and sometimes when u call taxi u can't get inside & he go alone to destination again :)

once again a one-liner would help but I will reply in detail, this is to let others (potential TfA users) to learn about the system..

there is a safety mechanism that prevents Transport for Arma AI vehicles staying there for the next 3-4 hours until next restart if they get stuck/misbehave for any reason.

it works like this:

each TfA vehicle service is divided into phases:

phase01 spawn vehicle & go to requestor

phase02 await requestor to get in

phase03 await requestor to pay

phase04 drive to requested destination

and so on.

*system knows* on the average how long it would take to complete each phase (90 seconds, 240 seconds and so on).

this is all configured in settings and you can easily fine tune it as you wish.

now, the above being the setup, if it takes a Service Unit (Taxi / Bus / Helicopter) too long to complete a task, it will simply proceed to the next task and in some cases, TfA will determine a particular Service Unit is no longer beneficial and it should be terminated.

this might happen, for example, when someone calls a taxi, but never gets in. no reason that particular service unit to proceed to the destination, it should just terminate, freeing up system resources (and freeing up a limited number of 'taxi slot' - as configured by server owner).

I think this is a good idea (IMO) and it worked flawlessly every single time in hundreds of times in my testing.

as you can imagine, timeout values need to be reasonable to make this work as designed.

now, the thing is, during testing, I spawn the car right on my face as I don't have time to wait for taxi to drive to me each time I want to test (I test a lot!).

in production environment, when releasing the script to public, I increase the spawn distance values so taxi spawns 600 meters or so out, and drives to the requestor.

this is to simulate "I called a taxi and someone actually drove to me" feeling rather than "I called a car and a magic one appeared out ot thin air!".

it is possible that the default thresholds I set might be too strict for 600 meters out spawn so the taxi spawns & reaches the requestor (as designed) but by then it is already 'timed out' and deemed to be a useless Service Unit which is condemned to termination. (that sounded harsh).

for now:

you can change in settings file: how far out taxis spawn

even better you can also change timeout values in the same settings file (search for keyword: threshold).

thus you should be able to fix this issue yourself in 2 minutes.

Of course I would like to fix it permanently for all (for the next release) so please let me know how you get on and what values worked well for you.

ta

EDIT: AI driver will drop you when "driving customer to the requested destination" timeout threshold value is reached. I think by default it is set to 900 seconds (15 minutes) so no journey can take 901 seconds.

if you request from one end of the map to the other end, it might require more time to drive (maybe?) and thus midway he will decide "this is taking too long according to the active policy - I am gone bonkers - I must self destruct!!!".

AI driver will then first eject all passengers, lock  the doors, and get into self destruction mode [which is driving away from customer and dying in peace in a lonespot - just like some species do in nature].

resolution: once again, modify your threshold values. be aware that if you set a crazy threshold value there, you will circumvent TfA's mechanism to efficiently self-manage resources. when a 'bad taxi' get stuck somewhere and it will continue occupying server memory + cpu + taxi slot till it times out. so do not set thresholds to 3 hours. set it to 25 minutes maybe? how long does it take to drive from one end of altis to the other..

Have installed this and it works up until i try and get in the taxi. for whatever reason it wont let me in. I am using infistar so am wondering if that might be something to do with it. Has anyone else experienced this? 

We have one success report with the 3rd party antihack you mentioned so far, it should work.

There is a logical dilemma in your report if it works until you get in the taxi, that means you can get in. Can you get in or not

Sorry no i cannot get in. it goes through the motion of getting in but i'm left stood outside. Eventually the taxi will drive off on its own. 

Sorry for the bombardment, pick one you like:

1. Is the issue same with both clickNGo and Fixed Destination Taxis?

2. Did it ever work for you or did this version never worked at all? If it never worked try re-downloading as we had at least one 'bad download' / 'bad archive' issue so far.

3. If it did work in the past, did you change anything in _settings.hpp? Bad syntax in settings file *will* break the script basic functionality.

4. Did you (for test purposes) turn off your anti-hack software and  give it a go? Does it work without antihack? It is possible that antihack blocking basic communication between your client and the server (or some other strangeness).

5. Did you (for test purposes) set all your BattlEye filtersto 'log only' and give it a go? In some cases BattlEye will kick but in other cases it is disrupting setting variables which will result in broken basic functionality. I will need to provide a definitive list of BattlEye filters but it's such a chore I've been postponing it :(

It is early alpha but still package should be working as quite a few people reported "it is working".

There are issues and areas to improve but if the basic functionality is not working (as of version 0.3.3) it's strange.

This is the first time i have installed it.

As for fixed destinations i would need to read on how to actually use that feature. 

I did download the latest version. 

Will redownlod and report back. 

Thank you very much for your quick response. 

Have had an admin go to the fixed destination service and call a taxi. he cannot get in either. Will ask a non admin player to test and see what happens and report back

This is the first time i have installed it.

As for fixred destinations i would need to read on how to actually use that feature. 

I did download the latest version. 

Will redownlod and report back. 

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Okay no worries.

Basically for Fixed Destinations, (by default) you need to go to one of the three Epoch Altis Spawn Traders. You will see a Taxi Dispatcher there who will present you (by default) 3 valid destinations.

If you have the $$$ you can call a taxi using your mouseWheel a.k.a. actionMenu.

All these settings can be changed from _settings.hpp file, you can add/remove/move the Taxi Dispatcher(s) to wherever you want.

Also costs etc. all can be changed from the same file.

The settings file is in server-side PBO and it covers both server-side & client-side settings.

Fixed Destination Taxis can be called by speaking with a Taxi Dispatcher at a Call-a-Taxi-Point - as per picture below.

ceKSE1E.jpg

P.S.: I'm the bald guy.

BATTLEYE FILTERS STUFF

If you wish to quickly set all your BattlEye filters to "LOG ONLY" (for test purposes) you can download the modified package I have posted here:
https://gitlab.com/themgm/Transport_for_Arma/tree/master/documentation/extras/BattlEye_stuff

In the same folder you will also find the unmodified Epoch BattlEye filters, so you can restore the original if you accidentally overwrote something.

As some of you know, currently (v.0.3.3) opening/closing your map 3 times within 8 seconds launches Transport for Arma menu, from there you can call a taxi. This is a lame workaround as Epoch AntiHack by blockes our keyDown events (hotkeys). The ugly workaround works for ONE keypress unfortunately as I add more functionality we will need more keys and 17 times open/closing map doesn't sound very elegant...

Due to the above, I put Public Bus System development on hold and started working on a custom GUI. I can summarize the experience with two words: not fun..........

Here is Transport for Arma custom GUI version 0.0.5 at the end of day 1.
Please don't fall in love.

ErLgoEc.jpg

P.S.: clickNGo Taxis was named so, owing to the fact that one clicks somewhere on the map at the beginning of a clickNGo journey.

However with the new custom GUI, all journeys (Fixed Destination Taxi journeys & Public Bus journeys) will begin with a mouse click... clickNGo doesn't really distinguish it any more.

To distinguish the two different types of taxis, I will rename them according to where they can take you to (rather than how you interact with them) thus, clickNGo Taxis are being renamed to Taxi Anywhere -- the other taxi service is still named Fixed Destination Taxis. They absolutely need a better name so please let me know if you can come up with a fancy name :)

On another note: Biggest thanks to Transport for London for the logo. I am sure they don't mind if we promote their logo in Altisland.

EDIT: Few words on -currently primitive- GUI... That green submit button next to each small icon was a test. I will remove them all. Small images will remain and they will double function as image & button.

Each Transport for Arma service is presented on a different column: 1st column=Taxi Anywhere |  2nd column=Public Bus Service | 3rd column=Fixed Destination Taxi

In each column there will be different options, whatever makes senseFor example in the only draft in the picture, most left column:

• 1st image/button, man signalling taxi for example is the TEXT and the BUTTON to "Call-a-Taxi!".
  • 2nd image/button is what's currently called "pay the initial service fee" (for the current clickNGo Taxis).
    Once you pay that initial fee, Taxi Driver takes you around for a while (towards the map point you chose) after some time Pay as you Go system kicks in and you start paying another <n> krypto every <n> seconds as long as you continue journey. These are all defined in settings and fees will depend on server owners choice.
    With the above payment system, it's very flexible - a short journey can turn long and you pay the extra cost fairly. No way to cheat the system.
    And vice versa - a long journey can be cut short and you won't need a refund because by the time you get off you would have paid only the 1st Mile Fee (rather than a massive long journey fee).
    Based on real-life taximeter system really.
  • 3rd image/button is Please Stop the Vehicle I want to Get Out button and will exist for all service types. There will be a cool down so players won't be able to continously press that and prevent a Public Bus from doing its job.

The only button I can think of for Public Buses is 'Please Stop the Bus' (so that player can get in - as they will NOT stop at every bus stop, such a waste of time) and the other button is the standard (Please Stop I want to get out). Maybe more functionality will be needed once people start using them.

Let me know what you think and please do share your ideas to improve?

Transport for Arma custom GUI version 0.0.5 -- this below is the same concept design but in GIMP format (not fully recreated in game yet)

8J4JjXI.png

Update from my previous posts. 

Reinstalled the script to my server. Got a player to use the fixed destination at Central spawn. Taxi arrived, He managed to get in as passenger. Drivers asked for money for payment (didn't know how to pay) After about 2 minutes of trying to figure it out the taxi drove off with player inside. Player checked map to see where he was going. When coming back to game he was standing in the road and taxi was driving away from him. 

He also tried calling a taxi by pressing map. Taxi arrived and he couldn't get in. Was like the taxi was locked. 

Just going to log on to the server to se what happens to me. Will record and upload to youtube then post a link on here.

Update from my previous posts. 

Reinstalled the script to my server. Got a player to use the fixed destination at Central spawn. Taxi arrived, He managed to get in as passenger. Drivers asked for money for payment (didn't know how to pay) After about 2 minutes of trying to figure it out the taxi drove off with player inside. Player checked map to see where he was going. When coming back to game he was standing in the road and taxi was driving away from him. 

He also tried calling a taxi by pressing map. Taxi arrived and he couldn't get in. Was like the taxi was locked. 

Just going to log on to the server to se what happens to me. Will record and upload to youtube then post a link on here.

In its current form, there are too many variables to support this system - not easy really. We are at Epoch AntiHack's whim, it keeps blocking Transport for Arma's "hotkey"s unfortunately.

I am hoping the custom GUI which I started developing yesterday will finally give us the consistent results we all expect from the system. I stopped developing Public Bus System and working on the GUI now...

With regards to your specific issue:

If a player call a taxi and from time of taxi reaching him, does not pay for 90 seconds (default value but can be changed) Taxi Driver will consider player is wasting his time, will lock doors, eject all players, pick a random termination point, drive there and and self-destruct (to open up a taxi slot on the server).

Currently there are two active modules: Fixed Destination Taxis and clickNGo Taxis -- both of these accept payment via mouseWheel (actionMenu) when the requstor is in the vehicle.

There is also popup information box explaining how it works.

If you do not receive mouseWheel 'Pay Now' option, and the popup something is wrong with your setup. I am not blaming you for not following instructions - just stating facts.

Did you turn your AntiHack for test purposes?

Did you set all your BattlEye filters to log only for test purposes?

This way you can understand what's getting in the way, which is the first step to resolving the problem.