Learning to fly (one weird trick)

KPABATOK

So as someone who always been a scrub and used autohover in Arma 3 helicopters and always used WASD to control cyclic forward/backwards/left/right and used vehicle free look (always ON) because it allowed  me to fly and look around at the same time without pressing any additional key, I'd like to suggest anyone who did as I did to try using your mouse, because this is a way easier, intuitive, practical and more fun way to fly.

Been practicing my new controls for an hour in editor and I now became a heli pilot pro, no joking. Landing without autohover has never been easier than it is right now.

What I did was simply disabling vehicle free look, making cyclic forward - mouse up, cyclic backwards - mouse down (some people prefer inverted version which is beyond me, it is like using inverted mouse, lol) and cyclic left/right - mouse left/mouse right.

Keeping raising collective as SHIFT and lower collective as Z (some people use W and S accordingly, but I like to keep those buttons just in case I need to pitch my heli up really fast as my mouse isn't very good for that).

There is another noob friendly tweak where you can leave out cyclic left/right binding and use default configuration for that. In that case, when you fly at speeds lower than 50km/h and you turn your mouse left, your helicopter will turn left as if you pressed Q button for left pedal. I tried both variants and decided to keep it cyclic left/right as it offers more control and versatility so to speak.

Hope this post will help flying noobs, cause I was a total noob and feel embarrassed that I used WASD for so long. Landing took me minutes, now it takes seconds.

You mean so called "advanced" mode? I said it before and say it again, arma 3 is no god damn flying simulator. Next thing you know Bugemia will be forcing manual transmission and make it impossible to drive any car without gaming wheel. Screw advanced mode. To me regular mode was hard enough to learn. I can't understand people who would prefer advanced mode. It's no surprise why 1999 servers of 2000 have it disabled. Because it sucks.

You mean so called "advanced" mode? I said it before and say it again, arma 3 is no god damn flying simulator. Next thing you know Bugemia will be forcing manual transmission and make it impossible to drive any car without gaming wheel. Screw advanced mode. To me regular mode was hard enough to learn. I can't understand people who would prefer advanced mode. It's no surprise why 1999 servers of 2000 have it disabled. Because it sucks.

There are things you can do with the advanced  mode you can't even try with the basic... so.... yeah some people will use it. 

well set server so you can use both. (let player choose) and yea ! its so much better to fly with mouse. this is my keys

W throttle

S lower

Q left pedal

E right pedal

A left roll

D right Roll
Shift boost

Mouse is forward - backward and roll left and right.

and i never use X no need for it. and if you want to lock around easy just hold or toogle ALT and use mouse to lock around and use UP-Down-Left Roll - Right Roll with arrows

Finiux beat me to it. Just hold or toggle ALT to look around.

I run advanced (with mouse and keyboard only) and love it. I can only imagine how awesome it would be with pedals and joystick.

My biggest complaint is the size of the HUD gauges. I've not yet got the hang of using the collective without that gauge. I make way too many hard landings without them.

Finiux beat me to it. Just hold or toggle ALT to look around.

I run advanced (with mouse and keyboard only) and love it. I can only imagine how awesome it would be with pedals and joystick.

My biggest complaint is the size of the HUD gauges. I've not yet got the hang of using the collective without that gauge. I make way too many hard landings without them.

Haha. Yea man !! i tried advanced, but i couldnt grasp it. i "landed" always to hard.