Starting a new server and need some advice

CTru89

Question

So i have just purchased my subscription with Vilayer for a A2DayZ server. I currently have it set up to run Overpoch and from there I have done minor server adjustments. Like installing Battleye, setting up scheduled server resets, vehicle limit and some customization to the information displayed and MOTD. 

Can anyone advise me on what to do from here? I will purchase infastar AH in a day or so, other than that can someone tell me what scripts (plugins? addons? not sure what they are called?). I know some of the features I want but am afraid I may be missing some? I just found out Self Blood Bags were something i have to add that i thought were standard and preinstalled. So i wonder if there are other small things I am overlooking. Any help would be great. 

Also any advice on how to get trusted admins and such? 

6 answers to this question

DZE_SelfTransfuse = true; 									
DZE_selfTransfuse_Values = [12000, 15, 300]; 

Put that in your mission init.sqf and that's self bloodbag taken out of the equation.

I will say, and I don't mean this to sound nasty, but you REALLY need to read every single thing on this forum. If you don't know how to add self blood, you are in trouble with the rest of it for sure. Start by looking through here : 

That is a pretty comprehensive list of the most popular mods in servers today. As long as you know your way around your server structure (server pbo's, how to unpack/repack them, where your mission folder is and it's structure, etc) then following directions in the various script threads and straight copy/pasting stuff shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes you will come up against a script that will require you to merge 2 of the same files together and that's where you can come unstuck. If that happens, post a thread detailing what you are trying to accomplish and someone will more than likely help you out, or at least steer you in the right direction.

But as I said, start reading this place front to back and for your own sake, set a server up on a home PC as well. That way you can use that as a test bed to make sure things work before pushing them live and stuffing it all up completely.   

As far as installing mods, install mods only on your server that you want. Want most servers do today in A2 Epoch is overkill there servers with scripts. To an extent to where the game isn't even fun and there is no challenge to it. So be sure to put some difficulty into your server. Don't make it so easy for players to secure loot, and don't flood the map with military buildings. Don't follow the road that everyone goes down with Dayz servers. Create things on your server that other servers don't have and try to remember not to pull away from the real concept of DayZ. Survival.

DZE_SelfTransfuse = true; 									
DZE_selfTransfuse_Values = [12000, 15, 300]; 
Put that in your mission init.sqf and that's self bloodbag taken out of the equation.

I will say, and I don't mean this to sound nasty, but you REALLY need to read every single thing on this forum. If you don't know how to add self blood, you are in trouble with the rest of it for sure. Start by looking through here :

That is a pretty comprehensive list of the most popular mods in servers today. As long as you know your way around your server structure (server pbo's, how to unpack/repack them, where your mission folder is and it's structure, etc) then following directions in the various script threads and straight copy/pasting stuff shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes you will come up against a script that will require you to merge 2 of the same files together and that's where you can come unstuck. If that happens, post a thread detailing what you are trying to accomplish and someone will more than likely help you out, or at least steer you in the right direction.

But as I said, start reading this place front to back and for your own sake, set a server up on a home PC as well. That way you can use that as a test bed to make sure things work before pushing them live and stuffing it all up completely.

Oh no its not that i dont know how to do it myself.. It was that i thought it was already included.. N after realizing that it was not included i began to wonder what other things i may overlook.

Thanks for the advice

As far as installing mods, install mods only on your server that you want. Want most servers do today in A2 Epoch is overkill there servers with scripts. To an extent to where the game isn't even fun and there is no challenge to it. So be sure to put some difficulty into your server. Don't make it so easy for players to secure loot, and don't flood the map with military buildings. Don't follow the road that everyone goes down with Dayz servers. Create things on your server that other servers don't have and try to remember not to pull away from the real concept of DayZ. Survival.

Funny you mention this. This is the main reason i decided to build my own server. Felt like the survival aspect of the game has been lost. I most definitely want it to be militarized but i want the heavy weapons to be extremely rare and expensive. I couldnt agree more with your comments about losing the true concept of DayZ!

some good addons:

AI mission (WAI, DZMS)

Roaming Ai (DZAI)

Tow and lift

Group management (DZGM)

There are tons of scripts and addons , check out this link

Yea these are 4 scripts i have already looked into and will be adding. Thanks for the link as well