Inventory / Build Circle Is Giving Me Headaches

Flybynight

The hint icons came up in chat a while back. I remember Awol considering a kind of timeout or reason not to show them. E.g. Buildables would lose the hint after more than 3 built and owned items in the immediate area. For now is to help people toward what needs to be done next. You get used to not looking at the centre of objects after a time. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah it doesn't make sense. It should be able to turn it off. No need for glowing loot, everybody can see what they wanna pick up and there is absolutely no need to make it baby easy like with a game THE FOREST. This tool while building is helpful sometimes, especially upgrading cinder walls which are much higher than your character (like 3 meters above you) but after certain time it should disappear. And this interact circle on loot, again, is completely unnecessary.

I disagree, it is necessary, just needs tailoring. Which it will get. From testing we were responding to people unsure of some of the new lootables. I see it staying, just being toned down to a new player hint. Am sure, in the long term, that hardcore type servers will have the option to remove, we all like discovering things, even hundreds of hours into a game if something new is discovered it's always a good feeling.

I disagree, it is necessary, just needs tailoring. Which it will get. From testing we were responding to people unsure of some of the new lootables.I see it staying, just being toned down to a new player hint.Am sure, in the long term, that hardcore type servers will have the option to remove, we all like discovering things, even hundreds of hours into a game if something new is discovered it's always a good feeling.

Maybe make it a toggleable thing, like the debug hint loop that runs when you press ~, making it optional to players would be better than making it optional for the entire server

I can appreciate all the concerns involved.  But why am I continuously getting the message "enable build - press 1" and the giant circle every time I walk up to a gate or cinder wall in my base?  It's hard enough to deal with loot, but geez.....why is that always showing up in my base?

With all due respect, and I absolutely love what you guys have created here and can't believe you didn't win the ARMA contest hands down.....but you saying that "we like the new icons" simply means the dev team likes them and possibly not the community at large.  I understand that you have to balance new players with veterans and everyone in between, but I believe an overall community vote would be against....not only now....but anytime going forward.

Thanks for listening and I still believe you have created the single best mod and game that is available. 

Absolutely we all need to remember this is Alpha.  At the same time, this game doesn't play anything like Alpha.  It is very well done and polished, at least compared to other Alphas I have been a part of.  I simply think it's important for the devs to hear from the community about something that could be significant as early as possible.  It doesn't mean we are going to stop playing the game, but it does mean feedback is needed.  It's also important to think of what brand new players may think of things like "the circle".  Perhaps it won't be that big of a deal in the long run, but as for now it seems to be an issue.

We like the new icons.

And the people in this thread, And the 20+ players from my servers that have complained, either to me, or in game chat within the last 24 hours since I updated to 0.3 about them being annoying and wanting a way to turn them off don't.

Yes, your mod. And yes, you've made some very good changes this patch,

but during an alpha stage you might want to be a little bit more open to feedback.

I suggest,

Have the text/circle on by default, so new players can get the benefits of knowing what to do while they learn the ropes.

Add something to EPOCH_keyDown.sqf so players can toggle these text/circles on/off, theres a lot of unused keys that could used be for this.

Best of both worlds and keeps everyone happy. 

Think of it like tutorials in games, it's cool the first time, but it gets old quick. and you get pissed off about not being able to skip through it, and just get into the game.

the amount of hours people sink into this game, they don't need to be reminded how to do things constantly.

We like the new icons.

They are great for building :) but to have them on 24/7 is not too great :(

Could it not be used like a build mode so press 4 to turn this on and off ! I do find it a little harder too loot from the ground with this enabled too !

Now to everyone else, Give Axeman a break, Im sure just player feedback saying to make them be toggle on and off would of been enough :)  

It is like a little hint message wich is completely unnecessary in a survival game or mod.

Again, for building it is nice in a way, I liked it while I built my base sometimes it was hard to find a sweet spot at which base part that hint was aiming, while I tried to upgrade walls or remove walls, so couple of times I fucked up, when I removed not the structure that I wanted to remove, but... good idea for building while building but should fade away after a while or have an option to turn it off.

And for looting, a huge big enormous no no no no :) Said it all. Don't bully :(

I only mess on my test server now days and noticed it, I can see it  being very annoying if i was regular player! H1Z1 is the same i think right? 

I really dislike the big giant question marks you get when you kill animals! 

My feedback for this it is really not necessary to have it, and not necessary does make things annoying after a while.

I agree also on the comments above it does make it less survival than what it already is, but I get the vibe that the Devs are not going for a survival feel on this version of epoch. so........ 

I think when epoch gets to 0.5 version (half way though development) hopefully will get better understanding to where it will go survival or not... 

i don´t understand it " we like the new icons " ! May be it´s helpfull to info new player to build ! But is it necessary that is always shown and not possible only an info to enable or disable the Helpingtool ?

I heard from many people that they dont like that but they don´t have fun to give feedback. They say we play the next time some other till it´s possible to choose on or off !