Best server location for West-coast and Euro based players

knights†emplar

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I would like to ask for advice on what would be best server location to have players based in west-coast (California/San Diego) and Europe (mainly UK).

Potentially and looking from geographical point of view I am thinking New York / New Jersey but i hear that both Canada & Finland can offer a good solution and decent FPS for US and EU based players.

Maybe you have a server in those locations that we can test ? I would be happy to hear from you.

And while we are on the subject feel free to recommend a good reliable and reasonable host too, Gaming host /Dedicated (it may not be solely be for an epoch server, so will also consider a dedicated host as an option) 

Thanking you in advance.

if you're a EU based player, check out our servers at www.deadmenrising.com.

we host dedicated servers located in london.

we are trying a mix of RP mixed in with the classic epoch experience combined with a dedicated player base and active admins on daily.

no KOS, custom missions updated and worked on regular. token based TS server available.

we have a larf together..get blown up by one of the boss sappers on DMR :D

if you're a EU based player, check out our servers at www.deadmenrising.com.

we host dedicated servers located in london.

we are trying a mix of RP mixed in with the classic epoch experience combined with a dedicated player base and active admins on daily.

no KOS, custom missions updated and worked on regular. token based TS server available.

we have a larf together..get blown up by one of the boss sappers on DMR :D

erm i think you got the wrong thread, read OP again..............

I work in the ISP World and bellow is about right.

PIng between UK and California is normally between 140-180... NY is about 80-100 from UK.. EU you probbably add between 10-50ms depending on the location from the UK..

This is all best scenario. IF someone is behind a slow ass xDLS connection all bets are off :-)

This is a good insight of how the world is link together that will help you chose your best location.

http://maps.level3.com/default/#.VRWoavmsV8E

I work in the ISP World and bellow is about right.

PIng between UK and California is normally between 140-180... NY is about 80-100 from UK.. EU you probbably add between 10-50ms depending on the location from the UK..

This is all best scenario. IF someone is behind a slow ass xDLS connection all bets are off :-)

This is a good insight of how the world is link together that will help you chose your best location.

http://maps.level3.com/default/#.VRWoavmsV8E

Ok that tells me Wales don't have internet, or they cant connect the outside world, ha ha

One of the guys I play with is from Wales, I will show him this! ha ha 

• 2 months later...

I decided to try out Verhosting, 24 hrs later nothing , no server set up no access nothing, and the worst thing is they don't reply when you ask what's going on. they were very responsive until I paid , last email from them 12 hrs ago said it was bank holiday and the funds I paid have not cleared, even though I paid via pay pal and my login with them shows its paid instantly! 

Someone earlier has already trashed NFOservers.com but we have been using their Chicago datacenter for nearly 3 years now to host Battlefield servers. Enough EU folks found it playable to build up a population to justify adding in servers in Frankfurt (Germany). We've only been running Epoch (in Chicago) since January this year but we do have Australians, South Americans and Europeans all playing with acceptable performance. Server FPS matters a lot more than ping times to the player experience.

We chose NFOServers' Chicago datacenter because it actually has better transcontinental performance than East Coast based datacenters and, being near the center of North America, it has a more even latency to both coasts than if we had picked one coast over the other.

As for pricing, you get what you pay for. We pay the NFO premium because we like our servers to work. They are very proactive in blocking various hacking attempts like DDoSing and work quickly to resolve any issues we have that we can't take of ourselves.

Hello,

you want a good compromise in latency for US-Eastcoast as same as EU players?

--> Then maybe go for a dedicated server hosted in ICELAND?

[1] https://www.orangewebsite.com/green-dedicated-servers.php

[2] http://www.advania.com/datacentres/solutions/dedicated-servers/

For US-Westcoast & EU

--> Then go for a server hosted by OvH in Canada.

{example for host by OvH in Canada: 198.50.150.143}

Latency from right in the middle of Germany to this one:

###

root@axis:~# ping -c5 198.50.150.143
PING 198.50.150.143 (198.50.150.143): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 198.50.150.143: seq=0 ttl=51 time=113.197 ms
64 bytes from 198.50.150.143: seq=1 ttl=51 time=112.749 ms
64 bytes from 198.50.150.143: seq=2 ttl=51 time=109.239 ms
64 bytes from 198.50.150.143: seq=3 ttl=51 time=109.594 ms
64 bytes from 198.50.150.143: seq=4 ttl=51 time=109.650 ms

--- 198.50.150.143 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss