[suggestion] Database

evilhomer2

Please for the love of all humanity ditch the current database system and return to MYSQL. MySQL is a damn sight easier to use than this stupid redis version.

Deleting Vehicles

redis- you have to delete each 1 individually
mysql- select all click delete.

Traders-

redis-cant even find them on the database unless i purposely go to that trader and add something. also adding stuff to it is a nightmare.
mysql- go to traders folder make your changes.

So please do the community a favour and make this change back to sensible mysql.

"Officially" being the key word there.  I'd say after Epoch hits 1.0 someone will come out with a custom DLL or addon DLLs that talks to SQL along with the necessary custom server files.  It might even happen before 1.0.  But either way, once it's released I'd say many servers will be making the transition.  

I dont know enough about either of the two but from what I can tell mySQL makes more sense?

What are the benefits of redis?

Do the dev's atleast justify their reasoning for using redis over mySQL?

All of these questions can be answered with the forum's search function. 

Please for the love of all humanity ditch the current database system and return to MYSQL. MySQL is a damn sight easier to use than this stupid redis version.

Deleting Vehicles

redis- you have to delete each 1 individually

mysql- select all click delete.

Traders-

redis-cant even find them on the database unless i purposely go to that trader and add something. also adding stuff to it is a nightmare.

mysql- go to traders folder make your changes.

So please do the community a favour and make this change back to sensible mysql.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the redis DB. It is not easy to alter, i admit that, but that is good. Before i was busy for hours, player a wanted this altered, player b that. Players wanted to be brought back to life, Humanity was gone, etc, etc...

Now u die, u respawn if u cant be revived. Like how it should be.

Clearly this is the dev teams own fault.....

They should have created a sub-forum under the A3 Epoch forum called "Please change back to MySQL" and then moved all the many threads asking for this in there :) .  At least that way, anyone wanting to post another one will see the many that have gone and been ignored before :D .

Clearly this is the dev teams own fault.....

They should have created a sub-forum under the A3 Epoch forum called "Please change back to MySQL" and then moved all the many threads asking for this in there :) .  At least that way, anyone wanting to post another one will see the many that have gone and been ignored before :D .

Amen to that

redis is a "industrial standart" rt db with very good performance (try use sql with over 100+ tables on non server pc) and i see only one problem : u dont have nabocat for it ) 

is this a troll? be honest? 

Redis can't handle the same large amount of data SQL can.

Redis is Memory only; now if you understand that alone  you should know right away what disadvantages you have......

Keys management requires huge effort. There is no easy way to run something like select * from redis where key =232434 ,  and the scan command introduced in previous patches is pathetic !

no deny it is fast and that's why the devs choose it for epoch! but it's just pain the back side to query quickly and use existing distribution scripts . 

redis is a "industrial standart" rt db with very good performance (try use sql with over 100+ tables on non server pc) and i see only one problem : u dont have nabocat for it )

Industry standard for what exactly?

Redis might well be it easier to install and backup (and possibly develop), but PostgreSQL or MySQL would be a far better option for end users.

I want Epoch mod on ACCESS 95 !!!  

Use Mysql for this game is useless ... nosql is better, with mysql and time, the database is so horrible ... request as so long, nosql is better and faster ... and for developper is more easy for change anything in database (no relation, ...)

But i prefer mongodb to Redis ... (troll)

REDIS IS GOOD FOR EPOCH MOD, THANKS DEV !

edit : and sorry for my bad english

I want Epoch mod on ACCESS 95 !!!  

Use Mysql for this game is useless ... nosql is better, with mysql and time, the database is so horrible ... request as so long, nosql is better and faster ... and for developper is more easy for change anything in database (no relation, ...)

But i prefer mongodb to Redis ... (troll)

REDIS IS GOOD FOR EPOCH MOD, THANKS DEV !

edit : and sorry for my bad english

SQL performance is only terrible if you are running it on shitty hardware and/or if the database and queries aren't optimised properly.

I have made and setup 100s of websites. I have sites that get millions of hits a month. These sites run PHP and use MySQL for storage of information. Some also use redis for storing cached data that normally has a TTL of a few minutes at most.

I can tell you from experience, MySQL AND Redis can both deal with ALOT of data IO, even concurrently. 

And yes Redis is faster than mysql at pure data IO but were it falls down is trying to manipulate the data once its in there.

The fact that Redis has no scheme/structure so having no data validation, makes it fast. In my opinion this is terrible for a game server like ARMA, were structure is everything, one var datatype miss match and the whole server can go to shit.

Redis IS NOT FASTER than MySQL when you consider the day to day management of an ARMA server, were hackers can and do spawn crap in which is near enough impossible to find in Redis, without an application to load to the data set into memory and search it. (This is were MySQL is faster).

The reason the dev's are using Redis I suspect is because it is easy to change the "database* schema" on the fly and you don't need much additional knowledge to interact with Redis, MySQL is more involved.

* Redis IS NOT a database!

Please don't flame me, I really do have a lot of experience with this crap :P

Somehow this debate seems more and more like a debate about maybe building the Eiffel tower after construction is about 1/3rd done in construction steel rather than puddling iron.

It's already built there, everything beyond that point is mere trivia at best.

Somehow this debate seems more and more like a debate about maybe building the Eiffel tower after construction is about 1/3rd done in construction steel rather than puddling iron.

It's already built there, everything beyond that point is mere trivia at best.

Very good point made there ;)

So once some software is written and does the job, it shouldn't be improved upon then by that logic?