Emod question

LunchboxCharlie

Question

22 answers to this question

Client functions in Epoch use compileFinal and are compiled as soon as you start the game for best security. Emod reduces security greatly by allowing the functions to be compiled much later.

Also, please keep in mind it is against our license to modify and redistribute our code. As soon as you add modified Epoch code to your mission file you are redistributing a derivative of our work.

If you cannot do something without modifying Epoch code, please provide feedback so we can best support the customization you desire.

Client functions in Epoch use compileFinal and are compiled as soon as you start the game for best security. Emod reduces security greatly by allowing the functions to be compiled much later.

Well, compile final is compile final. Ie it can't be changed, I suppose if you are using public variables to store the new functions then it could in theory be over-written, but if you include the code inside an sqf then its perfectly safe.

@vbAwol your statement would make sense if compileFinal would prevent someone to edit Var/fnc in memory...
besides that what EPOCH fnc/var would you even need to change to do something fishy?
?
its not like Epoch is preventing you to do anything,hack wise?

Also, please keep in mind it is against our license to modify and redistribute our code. As soon as you add modified Epoch code to your mission file you are redistributing a derivative of our work.

If you cannot do something without modifying Epoch code, please provide feedback so we can best support the customization you desire.

In all honesty, I don't see the harm in allowing people to edit the server files. As far as security goes, allow that to the person who owns the server, it's not the responsibility of the epoch team to keep my own dedicated box secure, it's my own.  It's not like hackers can't unpack the pbo and go poking around and figure something out. It's not stopping hackers either... The code for all intensive purposes is openly view-able by anyone. I understand your position and appreciate everything the epoch mod team does, I really do, but what made this mod great was the ability to do anything you wanted to epoch, bringing exciting and innovative changes and I am sure you used ideas players even came up with and used it in your own server code.  

If I wanted to do something that I feel would be exciting to the player base, I would be at the whim of a handful of people to make those changes possible.  It would only be a hope at best, especially if it didn't fit the vision of epoch. 

I really would like the epoch mod team to reconsider their position on server modification, stifling innovation would only make people lose interest in the mod. :(

Since you asked: Allow me to add places to the map to disable building, like the old canbuild variable. So when using my own custom map, I can customize the areas I don't want people to build. 

Edit: Grammar and spelling fixes. >_>

So your taking the word of someone who currently hacks and it open about it in ARMA skype group...

Did you look at his other videos?

I have indeed seen Doug's many videos he is in the grey area but closer to curious hacking than he is to bs hacking & selling for profit [i.e.: cracking]. He puts out his firstname + lastname + face and a lot of good technical information (good for newcomers to the scene). He is not doing anything clearly illegal otherwise videos would be down in under an hour thanks to YouTube/Google's policies on illegal material.

On top of the above, I trust the Epoch Team owing to their years of work which I directly benefited from. I trust Skoranator by proxy, as he is part of the team and trusted by the people I trust.

All I know about the other guy is that he is selling code in Arma/Epoch scripting scene basically no other person financially directly benefit from.

Everyone is sharing their knowledge and many hours of work for free for the beneft of others.

Only one man is making direct $$$ profit from all this.

With the above equation yes I am inclined to say I am closer to believing Skoranotor/EpochTeam & Doug. I am however unable to produce the information in the video is legit thus I should not say STEALING, I have now updated my original post above as ALLEGEDLY.

I have indeed seen Doug's many videos he is in the grey area but closer to curious hacking than he is to bs hacking & selling for profit [i.e.: cracking]. He puts out his firstname + lastname + face and a lot of good technical information (good for newcomers to the scene). He is not doing anything clearly illegal otherwise videos would be down in under an hour thanks to YouTube/Google's policies on illegal material.

On top of the above, I trust the Epoch Team owing to their years of work which I directly benefited from. I trust Skoranator by proxy, as he is part of the team and trusted by the people I trust.

All I know about the other guy is that he is selling code in Arma/Epoch scripting scene basically no other person financially directly benefit from.

Everyone is sharing their knowledge and many hours of work for free for the beneft of others.

Only one man is making direct $$$ profit from all this.

With the above equation yes I am inclined to say I am closer to believing Skoranotor/EpochTeam & Doug. I am however unable to produce the information in the video is legit thus I should not say STEALING, I have now updated my original post above as ALLEGEDLY.

Money, well also Epoch is involved in making money. Everybody is. You need to make money, to make your life easyer. Making money is legit, as long as you do not steal stuff. It is work, done by humans, need to pay their rent as we do.

Money, well also Epoch is involved in making money. Everybody is. You need to make money, to make your life easyer. Making money is legit, as long as you do not steal stuff. It is work, done by humans, need to pay their rent as we do.

I don't know what you mean by "Epoch is involved in making money". I honestly don't think Developers are making money out of this.

Cheap development is well cheap (you can find dirt cheap programmer per hire online if you don't care about quality of work) but good quality work costs serious money even in 2015.

Doing the basic manhour math difficult to estimate how much Epoch would cost but easy to get an idea that it won't be cheap.

That above is my guess but not based on facts.

Below is some actual statement based on facts: From question #2:

Q: Do you guys make money doing this?

A: No, we are not payed by anyone for doing this. We do accept donations but they aren't enough to pay one guy. We have also been known to do limited edition T-shirts. We have done it twice with 100 shirts as the goal and will do more over time.