Learning to install scripts

FastPoint Gaming

Too many places/people are charging excessive fee's for installing/setting-up what is publicly available to everyone (Scripts/Mods) so we have decided to offer the community a 'class' once or twice a month where we will go over various publicly available scripts showing you how to install them and some important information to keep in mind whenever installing scripts/mods.

All of this will be completely free of charge and will be open to everyone, I will probably stream my pc for all to view over twitch or some other platform as well as be on teamspeak to answer any questions or assist with confusion.

Our aim from this is to better educate people on how to take the open sourced scripts/mods and implement them into their server. Please note however this is not an installation service, if you expect to join one of the sessions and have everything installed for you this will not be the case.

I'm basically looking for a general idea of numbers in terms of how many people would join in on such a session, as well as best times/days for people so I can look to set dates for sessions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Ricky

Too many places/people are charging excessive fee's for installing/setting-up what is publicly available to everyone

You mean them cowboys over at Survival Servers :lol: come on lets name and shame the bad apples.

+1 from me though for this Ricky, you and FPG have been active round here, you do a lot more than most other GSPs, good on you guys :)

Great idea, Ricky!  And thank you for contributing so much to the community!  However, I fear that you will get a lot of people who want quick fixes instead of having to actually sit and learn anything.  Maybe you could record the streams and then also upload them to a YouTube channel?  Then you could post the links here on the forums.  I'm sure one of our fantastic mods would be happy to pin such a thread so people can find it easily.  

Two Words.... Google & Youtube

There's plenty of guides already out if folks could be bothered to look and learn but the problem is that folks want a quick fix solution. Its a great idea and like its already been suggested, record them and post them so folks can use them for future reference.

There is also a Tutorial section in the A3 Epoch area on this forum.... http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/forum/77-tutorials/

The problem I have with 90% of the youtubes out there is their lack of instructional and educational value. Way too many of them are done with a "here do this to get that to happen, it works for me" reference. They are either too simplified (ie dumbed down) or too complex to be of much use for me. I spend 59 minutes of the 60 minutes of my free time looking for one that (a)actually makes sense, (b)applies to the issue I'm trying to learn about, and ©doesn't have excessive hyperbole or narrator nonsense.

I would love to see some instructional videos that explain why things are put where. (Even for the most mundane of tasks.)

While many of the instructions for installation of some of the scripts are often sparse (and have the understandable language barriers), learning by failing is not without merit. I've learned a lot of basics by failing. A video on how to copy and paste isn't going to be very helpful in the long run.

tldnr: Kudo's for the willingness to contribute. If possible, in you class and/or video try to be concise and explain why.

Great idea!

People also have to understand that some people don't want to learn. They'd rather pay a GSP that extra cost and be done with it. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm interested in this. As someone that has a tiny sprinkle of experience in a few languages (mostly PHP/SQL), I'm firmly in the beginner's camp when it comes to figuring shit out on my own. Like many, I have spent a lot of time prowling both Google and Youtube as a coding crutch. Oftentimes, it's just as Floyd said - not very educational, or over my head.

So, I'll try anything once. :) (Except ass to mouth) (Does this forum have language rules?) (Oh well)

I'm mostly around 6pm-midnight during the week and can be on whenever on the weekends. (Eastern Time)

Also, if possible, you should definitely upload your session to Youtube for those that are unable to make it - might still be able to learn something even without being in TS etc.

This is quite the big project to do. Kudo's for stepping up to do it. I'm just wondering how you will go about this? With so many multiple scripts, other antihack's, different hosts. I can see this becoming frustrating to the OP. I'm just curious on how your plan is laid out? I'm am will to help anyway that I can.

Huge as in full time job....

I'm sure plenty here would be willing to help you out in various ways.

Maybe your best focus should be on geating enough of the smart community minds to get together on this and just start.

However, with all the alpha status scripts and addons going I'm pretty sure everyone is plenty busy these days.

Good luck in your venture and if I'm not working, upgrading, updating, researching, etc I will attend your streams!

Look forward to it

• 3 weeks later...

After reading what you all had to say I think it would be a good idea for me to reach out to some of the script developers who post here regularly to see if they would do a drop in on a video, maybe a different dev for each video. I'll send some messages around and see who would be willing to work with us in order to better educate the community

installing scripts or creating them? I would be interested in learning how to script .. searched online for Arma 3 only one post but dated to 2013, and some of the links don't work :(

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands_Arma_3

good starting point

http://killzonekid.com/category/tutorials/

Basicly eplains everything

Thank you! I will have a read, is arma 3 coding changed in anyway to arma 2?

:-)

No, there are just more commands to use.

If needed i can do like a session with stream this saterday evening , where poeple can join with coding questions or something, teamspeak perhaps with it.

Then i can help as far as my knowledge goes : )

No, there are just more commands to use.

If needed i can do like a session with stream this saterday evening , where poeple can join with coding questions or something, teamspeak perhaps with it.

Then i can help as far as my knowledge goes : )

Sounds great to me, I can set up vanilla epoch on my machine and can follow you in creating some simple scripts/addons , or just sit and watch? I just tried to PM you my info but couldn't, as I didnt want to hijack this post. 

if you can PM a TS, skype or steam and other info I will make sure to be on for it :-)

Sounds awesome count me there to learn. I am new with the server aspect of arma.  Only thing I am struggling with are with scripts including BEC.  Not sure if its just me but just cant grasp the concept of them no matter how much I read.

The coding session will start at 19.00h GMT + 1

http://everytimezone.com/#2015-4-4,1740,cn3

You can already join me on teamspeak form now on:

37.187.77.74:4203

I'll probably also have a stream up already doing random shizzle till then ^^

http://www.twitch.tv/zupalicious

I'll go trough some basics, and aswer / show questions.

Document where all info will get stored:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1row0THjXhBaBWTHs9dnYnd6f_-OD6hBp5w3AkvlF9_E/edit?usp=sharing