Epoch - My thoughts

uniflare

This was intended to be a reply in the epoch status form thread but its locked. Took me 20 min to write so im not wasting it. Here it is;

It is a shame this mod is not quite as popular atm. I can say when it wss announced it was highly popular and played religously for.. a week? There is just no content atm in stock epoch.

Though I do understand and I hope others do that epoch is designed to be extended. This fact shines through when you look at ccg etc even in its closed state it is easily modded and extended. The official server are for testing.

IMO the reason epoch is getting stale atm is not so much due to the pace of development but yhe release of server files which resulted in modified code and servers with more content hording players from official.

I think thete needs to be some seripus perks for yhe official servers, eg priority updates with major features to be exclusive to official servers. You need something to draw people in. This is possible as you can see modded epoch servers are always behind - the more unnoficial features that are hacked in makes it harder to mod T hr files every update especially if the core has changed in any way, anyone who actually cares about the mod should relish this proposal. Only thieves and lazy oppertunist game hosts will complain.

I liked the original epoch as it was basically dayz (which I fing loved to bits til they took out the l85/as50 lol fkn carebears) with more weapons and trsding and mining and base building and more. It just had so much to do.

This epoch, as stated, is not related to dayz at all. Itis a whole new concept. IMO the only similarity with a2 epoch is the ability to extend the mod an f that alone will take it far - just look at ccg etc even in epochs current state it is wonderful.

Thing is the devs do listen, they cave in, which imo is bad for the mod. Everyone cries server files... they relesse them months if not a year before they wanted. This imo was a big mistake. Everyone cries content and they adf little bits that theu can to keep you interested - no its not what we ALL want but its what a lot of people want, more content.

They spent a LOT of time on the framework code and basr of epoch. Only NOW are they starting to add features and content. Yes yhe stock mod is getting lesd popular. BUT the core mod IS popular (ccg etc) even in its current state! ghe devs have done a fantastic job on the framework really good stuff. Now they add and polish features and content for the stock epoch mod so will take a while of course.

I thonk if epoch devs really want ghis mod to fly they will have to adk the community for physical help with content/coding. But of course AFTER MANW contest. I believe this is the reason they are closed to new devs atm. (Could be wrong).

My conclusion is epoch is a success, a small one for now, but still a success. Once the devs work out yhe current issues mentioned above it will fly.. trust me..

Also if I was lead dev of epoch I would not publicly release major new awesome features until I had enough to draw more attention. Ie I would keep them finished but secret so that one day when all basic features etc are polihed I could hype the feck out of the first major release candidate spouting new exclusive awedome spangly fun features. This would compleyely revive the mod as long as the features are shocking enough/fun enough.

DO NOT PEE OR KICK BALLS ON THIS WALL. Over 9000 Krypto fine!

peace

It would be cool if there were some features, like the current early access to the 3.0 patch, to draw more people to the official servers... and I agree about the early release of the files. But I also recall there were some outside parties putting pressure on the devs to release it as well. It would have been nice not to have the 1-2 thousand consistent epoch players distributed across a few thousand servers... but the past is what it is... I think the mod is doing well... now if only we could get larger numbers of people to play on the official servers.