Wait.....whut?

Osiris72

No they will spawn in on you out in the middle of nowhere even if you are moving from point A to B.  

One of my buddies was killed yesterday when a drone called in on him out in the open and immediately the death squad of laser precision AI spawned right in front of him, dead before he could blink.

I'm ok with AI., I mean I run an ALiVE server for my buddies, but it has to be reasonable and not be a thorn in the side.   Yesterday I killed 11 drones in an hour or so session, all I was doing was chopping trees.  I'm running out of ammo fighting them off like flies.

Well the mechanics of them spawning out in the middle of nowhere is good for the game and camping in general though I would agree the numbers should be reduced a tad going off what you said. Will jump ingame tomorrow and check it out because I find it hard to believe that the drones call in the super AI so quickly.

People wanted to feel more of a threat from the environment.  Well....this is what you get.  The settings are adjustable, so if you don't like how one server is set up, pick another one.  It's not like there's not 5000 servers to pick from.

This might be true... But find a server that isn't ran by a bunch of kids with half a brain of what they're doing is quite difficult these days!

Has anyone pointed out where to adjust this because it seems most owners/scripters can't seem to find the file.

Its only posible to change

antagonistChanceTrash = 0.09; //9% chance when player loot a trash object
antagonistChancePDeath = 0.33; //33% chance when player was killed from a other player (selfkill doesn't count)
antagonistChanceLoot = 0.09; //9% chance when player click "SEARCH" on a loot object

in epochconfig.hpp

To change the settings the TS mentioned i guess the only way will be breaking the dll and change the server file or wait for the devs to give an update to make the change.

It should be fairly easy to run a little looped script that will remove any uav that enters a plot pole zone. And even to have a random chance of say 40/60 to remove it out in the wild. We are already doing that for safe zones... What we noticed however is the number of sappers randomly roaming with no players around and we suspect it's hitting performance with random small lag spikes that have no reason to be there on a dedi that we're never there before. Used to experience them on mellshouse as we'll.

So if i set every value to 0 like below in loots.h i will get rid off all those pesky antagonists?

class Default
    {
        antagonists[] = {
                { "UAV", 0 },
                { "Cloak", 0 }, // Night = Epoch_Cloak_F, Day = Epoch_Sapper_F
                { "Sapper", 0 },
                { "SapperB", 0 },
                { "PHANTOM", 0 }
        };
    };
    class Trash : Default
    {
        antagonists[] = {
                { "UAV", 0 }, // I_UAV_01_F
                { "Cloak", 0 }, // Night = Epoch_Cloak_F, Day = Epoch_Sapper_F
                { "Sapper", 0 }, // Epoch_Sapper_F
                { "SapperB", 0 }  // Epoch_SapperB_F
        };
    };

No plan, no communication and not much encouragement from a big part of the community. -Bad time for a benchmark with another mod.

Btw why would you call your mod Epoch if you don't want people to expect the same like in arma 2 ? Using the famous Arma 2 DayZ Epoch status for this project was a bad idea.

I'm not totally sure you know what the definition of Epoch is. 

one guy on my servers accrued a small cult following of sappers. just from looting an industrial area on bornholm

I didn't spot the option to adjust the random spawning antagonists, but now I know there is one in the settings somewhere I shall have a better look.

So I haven't adjusted the antagonist spawns at all.

Here's some pics of what I mean by cult following of them.

mN7zWBL.jpg

He got disconnected moments later after I took those screenshots, and all of the sappers just vanished.

I found it amusing, I kinda like all the extra antagonists, but I could see the novelty wearing off after a week or so.

Already getting some complaints, but hey, people complain about everything.

I learnt that lesson through 5 years of customer service in my 20s. (never again)

ahem. back on topic. So where are these settings for me to adjust?

in epochconfig.hpp i've only got

antagonistChanceTrash

antagonistChancePDeath

antagonistChanceLoot

or do you mean all of those entries in loots.h?

How can we change this?

[Changed] Chance to spawn sapper every 5 minutes (max of 3 within 800m). Chances increase while in a city and if the player is soiled.
[Changed] Chance to spawn drone when player fires weapon (max of 3 within 800m). Chances increase while in a city and are reduced if player uses a silencer.

We dont need this, is antagonist spawning by looting its ok but no one of this things ....

What is even more of a complete joy is that sappers can walk through player built doors, so when you are in your base building, organizing, whatever....then one of them big boy sappers spawns in, strolls in like it's his birthday....well shit gets real.

It's freakin' annoying.  AI should not spawn in jammer range.  

What I propose, if you want AI drones, just have a set number spawn in on the map and fly around randomly...IF they spot and track you then you need to deal with them, but them being tied to and knowing where a player is isn't working.  Same with sappers, have a set number roaming the map.  

Part of the problem is that when you go out and about, the drones can spawn in at such a distance that it takes a while for them to catch up to you and you may trigger more than one, so when you get to a location to hang out...guess what, all them drones finally show up.

It should be fairly easy to run a little looped script that will remove any uav that enters a plot pole zone. And even to have a random chance of say 40/60 to remove it out in the wild. We are already doing that for safe zones... What we noticed however is the number of sappers randomly roaming with no players around and we suspect it's hitting performance with random small lag spikes that have no reason to be there on a dedi that we're never there before. Used to experience them on mellshouse as we'll.

Yeah mate, happening on our dedi box aswell. one of the fastest xeon's we could get hosted in sydney. and still this happens.

has been happening for a while. momentary lag spike upon some sapper spawns. and it seems to happen for everyone at the moment they spawn in aswell.

all of us in teamspeak will notice the momentary freeze up for 1-2 seconds before it resumes, then someone's got a sapper on em.

doesn't happen with cultists or drones though.

at first I figured it was just something happening to us, 

but a couple of the players in our server said they saw it in your Z servers aswell though.

Ahhh well. versions still only 0.3, this sort of thing is to be expected, and i'm sure it'll all get sorted out eventually.

There is no setting in the config for this. If someone knows where the code is for this, please share as I intend to disable this feature completely.

AI spawning right in front of my face is an option in A3EAI already; one the players on my server didn't like, so it was disabled.

I understand why this was added and why some people like it, but if we server admins could have the ability to reduce/disable this feature via the config file in the next update, that would be appreciated.

if ((EPOCH_playerSpawnArray select (EPOCH_spawnIndex find "Epoch_Sapper_F")) <= 0) then{
			_sapperChance = 5 + (EPOCH_playerSoiled / 2);
			if !(EPOCH_nearestLocations isEqualTo []) then{
				_sapperChance = _sapperChance + 5;
			};
			// 5% - 55% if soiled (+ 5% if in city) chance to spawn sapper every 5 minutes
			if (random 100 < _sapperChance) then{
				"Epoch_Sapper_F" call EPOCH_unitSpawnIncrease;
			};
		};

// test spawning one antagonist every 5 minutes
		_spawnUnits = [];
		{
			if (_x > 0) then {
				_spawnUnits pushBack (EPOCH_spawnIndex select _forEachIndex);
			};
		} forEach EPOCH_playerSpawnArray;

// select one unit at random to spawn from available
		if !(_spawnUnits isEqualTo []) then{	
			(_spawnUnits select(floor random(count _spawnUnits))) call EPOCH_unitSpawn;
		};
	};

Located in your client files - @epoch\Addons\a3_epoch_code\compile=setup=EPOCH_masterLoop.sqf

It cannot be changed.

Ok so the whole anti-camping thing.. ugh I mean sure, why not. But not after only sitting in one place for a few seconds.. I'm not sure why you guys have it set that way, if it was set that way on purpose. It needs to be changed bad. If you are going to spawn Sappers on "campers"(which in most cases people aren't camping but going through inventory or just stopping for whatever reason), it needs to be held off for at least 5 or 10 minutes.. They seem like they're spawning in after only a few seconds, and then the next one a couple minutes after that. I'm sorry but these antagonists just aren't cut out for this kind of behavior. They're too dangerous, too difficult to get rid of, and just straight up annoying as hell after 10 minutes of gameplay.

I thought drones were only supposed to spawn on you by the chance of firing a weapon? This is not happening for me, they're spawning any time they please. I'm guessing they were included in the anti-camping clusterfook.

My thoughts:

Only Sappers and Dogs should spawn on you if you are outside sitting in one place, and they shouldn't spawn on you until you've been sitting there for at least 5min or so. Short jammer radius = null spawn on stationary player.

Drones should only spawn on the chance of fired weapon, excluding hatchets and such. They wouldnt be so bad if they were more possible to put down. Drop their altitude if possible. I don't want it to be too easy, but if you're outnumbered by a group of players, already at a disadvantage, having to run around like a nut firing straight up is a death sentence. The fact that the drone gives your position away is quite enough. This kind of thing is what's killing player interaction.

I'm not even seeing Cultists anymore, not sure how they've been changed. If anything is going to spawn on you while you're chilling inside a building, let it be these boys. It would make more sense to me if these spawned when you killed another player though.

Personally, I would much rather see more distractions than threats. I don't know exactly where you guys are going with the Phantoms, but I love the distractions they impose. I would like to see visual distractions like some kind of fleeting anomalies that catch your eye and throw you off a bit. Lights, ghosts, things that are similar shape as players but not moving, curious creatures that scurry away when you look at them.. I don't know, something like that.

It seems that maybe there is a war on snipers in 301.   The more I play the new version the more this becomes apparent.  The drones / sappers new mechanic and the utter lack of descent longer range optics and some weapons

In the time I've been playing 301, I've found 2 descent scopes: LRPS and DMS....that's it and we've spent A LOT of time looting.  I've found 3 Lynx and 5 or so 320s, well if you are into firearms in the real world like I am you know that you spend more money on the optic than you do the gun as a general rule if you want something good.  You can have the best rifle in the world but it is all but useless in it's intended role if the optic isn't up to par.  Yeah, that Lynx with a reflex sight is just what I needed...yeah right.

Loot in general is kinda blah with this version, 80% of the weapons I find are 6.5mm and ruger .22.   I know admins can change this but this goes back to my previous statement, most admins do not like to change defaults.  

I added custom crafting on my server, using pelts, scrap metal, circuits and hemp as the ingriedients means players now go hunting antagonists for the loot they drop, seems to work.

Rather than fight the changes, embrace them and make them appealing :)

For example you can craft a ghillie suit using 2 x pelts and 2 x hemp

Ok so the whole anti-camping thing.. ugh I mean sure, why not. But not after only sitting in one place for a few seconds.. I'm not sure why you guys have it set that way, if it was set that way on purpose. It needs to be changed bad. If you are going to spawn Sappers on "campers"(which in most cases people aren't camping but going through inventory or just stopping for whatever reason), it needs to be held off for at least 5 or 10 minutes.. They seem like they're spawning in after only a few seconds, and then the next one a couple minutes after that. I'm sorry but these antagonists just aren't cut out for this kind of behavior. They're too dangerous, too difficult to get rid of, and just straight up annoying as hell after 10 minutes of gameplay.

I thought drones were only supposed to spawn on you by the chance of firing a weapon? This is not happening for me, they're spawning any time they please. I'm guessing they were included in the anti-camping clusterfook.

Amen brother.

I can only speak for myself, but these new features are making me consider a move to another game, and my gaming buddies are saying the same since this latest update.

I've said a thousand times that it's good to have the content as long as server owners can have total control over which content he or she wants activated. Toggle woggle.

Here is what I feel is going on.. You may agree or disagree but here is my 2 bits....

Zeds were not as deadly as Sappers and Drone AI..  

They made you have to be cautious but now you have to be extremely cautious because it only takes one of those to drop you.

I see the current antagonists as the more deadly rare spawn antagonists.. The mod is lacking that annoying but "not-so-deadly" antagonist right now.. 

The mod (in my opinion) needs to have antagonists that are more common but less deadly and will kill but require numbers (like zeds accomplished in A2).

If the intention is to keep putting in antagonists that represent extreme danger.. then I'm really not sure what will become of it. 

That's the vibe as it is now that I'm getting.

Sapper won't make you bleed or break a bone.. One gets you and your dead.  Same with the Drone AI.

Where are the antagonists that are annoying for most part and less deadly?

They are needed to balance antagonists out I feel.

One Idea....

Some sort of small creature that is the common antagonist would be perfect.. it will bite you and maybe poison you, make you bleed and/or break a bone.

It will kill you if you get a bunch of them on you.  When I say "small" I think of having it's footprint in that size because it will a bit harder to hit and kill and have it move around at a moderate speed.

This is what I feel the mod needs now.. Then Sappers and Drones can be reverted back to a bit more rare and I personally think players will accept that. The other thing now is Sappers can basically be farmed and you can get a shitload of cash just farming them... Their loot is now pretty dam good and hence they should be rare for that fact as well.