Building/Crafting Ideas for future development

SPIB0X

Ok here's what I'd like to see.

The stairs - they need fixed badly.  If you spiral the stairs a support leg is directly in the middle of the set of stairs below...  Also they should be upgradable two more times.  once to put wood stud walls around them, and second to cover them with corrugated metal.

Bring back the stringer stairs too in addition to the current ones.

Ladders - as was already mentioned.

Half floors, half walls, can't the devs marry the dayz epoch building parts with A3 epoch building parts?  I mean what possible reason is there that I can't build a half floor or quarter floor or wooden railing etc?  I can totally repair a car with a magic pistol but can't build anything but an up to building code stud wall with 16" centers and a full floor?

Craft-able well.  I want to be able to dig a well at my base.

Permanent fire pit (wood needed to make fire) or a burn barrel for bases.

I want practical stuff that fits the game play, not a football stadium with retractable roof to keep my heli safe... or remote starters, come on...

"I want practical stuff that fits the game play, not a football stadium with retractable roof to keep my heli safe... or remote starters, come on.."

Thanks for summarizing. This above is what we urgently need. You can get up to upper floor(s) via current stairs. While they may not be pretty, an upgrade on their prettiness will offer ZERO practical improvement whereas a remote door opener will help you open your 'heli garage'/'heli dome' while in-flight, and a "football stadium with retractable roof" will help you keep your heli safe.

As you can see they will both immensely improve gameplay [as in, the heli you managed to get your hands on after days of play won't be simply taken away the moment you log off]. Forget about fancy stairs, let's add the basics :)

Personally I would like to change some parts of the building system. I think it shouldn't be energy-based, but stamina based, ie. it takes physical effort to construct buildings, not some "magical" electric resource that you "carry around". In fact, the whole energy system lacks any kind of description, are we as players androids? If so, then why do we have stamina/fatigue separate from "Energy"? Do we run around with a battery pack inside of us? If so, how is that at all related to how we build?

ok well.. how do you explain the ability to lift cinder block frickin walls? XD Maybe it would be better if the character had to wear a kinetic energy vest or something that allows the player to do these astonishing things, then it would make a lot more sense?

Or even if there was an item you had to keep in your inventory, can't gain power or use it without that item in your inventory. Power Stat would still be saved to person, but simply goes to 0 available energy when item is removed. Put item back into your inventory and the amount of energy you had saved up returns in your stats. Use this item physically to gather energy, i.e. double click it and choose plug in to energy source or something.

Yea.. I have to agree.  There are some of those "essential" items when it comes to building that should of been added right from the beginning.   Everyone knows that building and the flexibility of building in Epoch was a huge feature or basically it's core attraction to the mod.

Hopefully they add those items back in.

Metal floors,

Various sizes of wood walls/floors.

Traditional Stairs/Ladders

Sandbags

etc..

What would be really cool is if they could take them to the next level and maybe look at building items that we not even in A2.  ie: Lockable hatches, A-frame roofing parts, support beams, support studs, fences etc..

I've also mentioned a few times that Tank Traps and Wire Fences would help reduce wall glitching into bases.  Hopefully they serious consider that as I don't think they can ever completely fix base glitching.  It's an Arma issue and not an Epoch one.

The energy thing (to me) isn't a game breaker though I think when you respawn it would be nice if you get some energy.  Your food/drink is topped off so why shouldn't you at least get some energy when you are a fresh spawn.  Even 500 energy would be sufficient.

ok well.. how do you explain the ability to lift cinder block frickin walls? XD Maybe it would be better if the character had to wear a kinetic energy vest or something that allows the player to do these astonishing things, then it would make a lot more sense?

Or even if there was an item you had to keep in your inventory, can't gain power or use it without that item in your inventory. Power Stat would still be saved to person, but simply goes to 0 available energy when item is removed. Put item back into your inventory and the amount of energy you had saved up returns in your stats. Use this item physically to gather energy, i.e. double click it and choose plug in to energy source or something.

I always assumed that you built them piece by piece, but instead of wasting all that time in animation and gametime it just SLAM put them there :D 

I always assumed that you built them piece by piece, but instead of wasting all that time in animation and gametime it just SLAM put them there :D

That's something else that I didn't think of that differs from A2, character animations.  Someone needs to jump on it.  I'd imagine that would be a lot of work though.  I think there was only one A2 animation, assuming it was borrowed from DayZ mod and just used for absolutely everything lol.  It would be a nice process "flow" if we eventually had an animation while building, instead of it just magically appearing, set it down and BAM.  Would be nice to simply get a preview, choose where to put it, then the character goes through an animation process while building the object.  Should at least take a little time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yea.. I have to agree.  There are some of those "essential" items when it comes to building that should of been added right from the beginning.   Everyone knows that building and the flexibility of building in Epoch was a huge feature or basically it's core attraction to the mod.

Hopefully they add those items back in.

Metal floors,

Various sizes of wood walls/floors.

Traditional Stairs/Ladders

Sandbags

etc..

What would be really cool is if they could take them to the next level and maybe look at building items that we not even in A2.  ie: Lockable hatches, A-frame roofing parts, support beams, support studs, fences etc..

I've also mentioned a few times that Tank Traps and Wire Fences would help reduce wall glitching into bases.  Hopefully they serious consider that as I don't think they can ever completely fix base glitching.  It's an Arma issue and not an Epoch one.

The energy thing (to me) isn't a game breaker though I think when you respawn it would be nice if you get some energy.  Your food/drink is topped off so why shouldn't you at least get some energy when you are a fresh spawn.  Even 500 energy would be sufficient.

I have always found it strange why none of thee above have been added on upcoming changelogs ! 

Epoch was great because of what you could build :) Sick of seeing boxes everywhere :( 

Realy would of thought the base building would of been top of list :(

34. Flying Fox/Zip Lines - Useful for quick escapes, could require a 1 minute timer/action to wind the grip back up to the starting point after each use?

35. Sleeping Bags/Beds - Could be used to sleep in, player is taken to black screen until they press the interact button, upon waking up they have their stamina restored by xx% based off how long they spent in black screen. If they reach maximum stamina they might gain an extra 10% temporarily? Can also be used to effect players temperature and heal toxicity

36. Vehicle Paint - Allows players to paint vehicles, changing that bright orange SUV to something more subtle... would also be nice to have camo-paint for both vehicles and buildables (mix green black and brown paint to make camo-paint)?

37. Steering Wheel Lock - Used to lock vehicles/choppers from being driven/flown for longer than 30 minutes?

38. Vending Machines - Spawned around the map in random locations each restart (much like rogue traders) with limited stock - insert krypto to receive a drink or food at random - chance to dispense something rare?

Personally I would like to change some parts of the building system. I think it shouldn't be energy-based, but stamina based, ie. it takes physical effort to construct buildings, not some "magical" electric resource that you "carry around". In fact, the whole energy system lacks any kind of description, are we as players androids? If so, then why do we have stamina/fatigue separate from "Energy"? Do we run around with a battery pack inside of us? If so, how is that at all related to how we build?

That is exactly what I been saying all along! I dont like the magical energy that is used for building! Stamnia def makes more sense , that's not to say it should be generated by wind mills lol!

That is exactly what I been saying all along! I dont like the magical energy that is used for building! Stamnia def makes more sense , that's not to say it should be generated by wind mills lol!

I was agreeing with this before I thought about the fact that we're lifting whole cinder walls and lifting them into the air and spinning them and shit. It would make more sense if you had to have some sort of gadget that you had to charge.. I mean I guess we could use our imagination lol.

However things like putting tipis and lock boxes down.. I'm sure that could use stamina/fatigue.

I was agreeing with this before I thought about the fact that we're lifting whole cinder walls and lifting them into the air and spinning them and shit. It would make more sense if you had to have some sort of gadget that you had to charge.. I mean I guess we could use our imagination lol.

However things like putting tipis and lock boxes down.. I'm sure that could use stamina/fatigue.

logically makes sense.

splitting the requirement -from a coding perspective- would be unnecessarily complex though.

a hoverboard on the other hand...

logically makes sense.

splitting the requirement -from a coding perspective- would be unnecessarily complex though.

a hoverboard on the other hand...

I disagree, I talked in other posts about either removing energy for buildings or adding a building tool, so unless you have this tool on you , your energy does not increase when you are in re-charge zone.

The code should be simple enough all it would need to do is check if a player has an item in his inventory, if not it doesn't start charging, and just like when you are about to build it checks for energy, it would need to check if a player has a charged tool.

Either this or remove it all together from building .. energy currently being stored in fresh spawned players that run around naked with no device to store energy does not make sense.

I suggested an electric device my thinking is something like a power drill is a strong candidate, I personally would loved to have seen pink power drill that serves this purpose rather than a pink gun in the last update! 

I disagree, I talked in other posts about either removing energy for buildings or adding a building tool, so unless you have this tool on you , your energy does not increase when you are in re-charge zone.

The code should be simple enough all it would need to do is check if a player has an item in his inventory, if not it doesn't start charging, and just like when you are about to build it checks for energy, it would need to check if a player has a charged tool.

Either this or remove it all together from building .. energy currently being stored in fresh spawned players that run around naked with no device to store energy does not make sense.

I suggested an electric device my thinking is something like a power drill is a strong candidate, I personally would loved to have seen pink power drill that serves this purpose rather than a pink gun in the last update!

Well the L85A2 was a side project that Kiory was doing that was added to Epoch since he's on the development team.

• 2 weeks later...

AWOL is a lurker, so defo he has.

it's possible that they are all too busy modelling, coding, testing, documenting the Hoverboard Feature.

I don't mind if they post less and create more magic for all of us to enjoy :)

P.S. I really hope they will add a silver model with black stripes.

Templar, your body is made in a cloning vat. We are adding all sorts of technology at that stage. What you are talking about is another tool to gather the energy. I see the logic and is a good idea, it does add another building requirement which could be a good thing further along. Currently your clone body has the means to store the energy, as it does krypto. You have implants and the means to insert new implants, which the traders currently can do.

Would be sort of interesting to have some value associated with growing food.

Have a dedicated trader you can sell produce to so you can go buy ammo for guns.

Then we can go around and raid players gardens

Ah.. .the memories.

Maybe get into some sort of crafting... Corn oil can make some sort of fuel.

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...