[FORM] The status of Epoch development

Tobias Solem

The guy joined yesterday with the sole intention of being a troll, most people when they join a community try to fit it, this guy wants to stand out by acting like a dick.

Maybe i was harsh with my words but it annoyed me, I've been part of this community since 2013, I respect the devs, they can and will make mistakes but in the end they do amazing work, since i discovered A2 Epoch all them years back i've been a fan.

The fact remains that Bacider isn't here to be helpful or nice or offer constructive criticism, he's here to troll and attack.

People will come here to vent about what things are bad within a game, it is a forum, it serves that purpose, I know if i wanted to vent then im certainly not going to come on spend weeks to get ot know ppl to then forget what my vent was originally about. He's came on vented then left. (or hung about like a bad fart).

What do you mean dealt with accordingly? for voicing his opinion?

He's entitled to do that here is he not or are you not alowed to negitivley say anything without it constituting you trolling. What if he actually is being serious and he actually thinks the mods shit at the moment?

As bizzare as his views are ; thought I'd edit that in in case anyone thinks i agree with im. I do agree to him having the ability to give his opinion though, as skewed as it is.

There are ways to vent your opinions and not be a douchebag. He clearly failed that on his first post. 

Bacider made a very aggressive opinion/post, he shouldn't be attacked by people who are official hosts, or staff it simply looks bad. Take his post with a grain of salt, everyone is going to have either a positive post or a negative post, don't get upset over what is wrote, just read through it and answer through it the best you can without having to insult or be aggressive back there simply is no need for it. You can't deem yourself respectable when you fire back with your own insults or hateful comments. I look forward to seeing what 0.3 has to offer and what improvements there are to come :)

There are ways to vent your opinions and not be a douchebag. He clearly failed that on his first post. 

He doesn't have to conform to your liking, I'm sure he's not here to impress anyone ;) Providing he doesnt break rules, unlike people that ask others to fuck off and die. Then i don't see a problem with him being a douchebag. After all it's the internet, people in general are douchebags.

Axe said something, which is actually true. I am passionated about the mod and played a2 and even this mod for endless hrs.  Everyone can see that hosts add their own content to the mod - which makes epoch about 90 % all about the building system. And for a second pls compare the latest a2 epoch build system with the actual one - and i always found it a good way for hoster that they can sell base building supplies to compensate for their server bills.

There are some little things which already would improve the building system about 100 %.

1.The foundations for not flat ground. Dont make 4 sticks - made it like a concrete floors (where noone can crawl under, jump in ur cars, look in ur base, kill u trough the floor, where u can park a car on top,) like a real foundation of a house ( a good ecample is the i build mod).

2. Metal floors and maybe the ability for not landable roofs (which u can already do with a wall and some adjustments).

3. Sandbags - fundamental ways for base protection

4. Smaller jammer ( for more hidden base possibilties) - u can make the jammer wider etc - but its to high. always need a 2 level building - and again metal floors, cause wood floors have gaps u can see through like the wood walls and they are (maybe were) too easy to destroy or get shot trough.

Bases have to be a secure place if u build them with sense - nowadays they are a death trap.

These 4 things are absolutely important to fix the most annoying things with the building system.  I said - i wont sugarcoating anything - and i meant it that way - there is no way - that i am the first person to mention this and the 0.3 doenst fix anything of the most needed elements to build a secure base (where u can park cars and defend urself and the area around u - without building for hrs and building a skyscraper with 10 teammates. 

After that - yeah think of some better ai... more dangerous, more common - which had some of the advantages of the zombs in a2. I dont know - angry dogs in cities and bears in woods...  The actual mod is a complete heaven for extreme camping and in arma3 its easy to kill up to 2500 mtrs - depending on sever reglementations and maps it wont be possible to use that - but everything up to 1000 mtrs are snacks. Shoot with a m107 in epoch 2 - one shot and u have a crowded zombie party around u. - in epoch nothin.

Do something about the issues and i would call epoch playable - atm its a unplayable alpha for me (better said other mods mission are far more enjoyable) and something unplayable for half a year causes anger if there is no progression and dev vids about rock monster and updates with pink weapons.  And yeah i am one of the many guys who expected a advanced a2 epoch and not the complete opposite - where creativity is reglemented and alomst every base locks the same cube.

Things that have been fixed you say? We will see about that when its released to the masses (0.3) and not just an undermanned server or 3.

@B4ND1T - Might I suggest that you download the 0.3 and test yourself? Instead of calling it undermanned server, rally some friends and test it out. If everyone reading this thread pulled 3 friends in for a 0.3 testing session, the server would likely be full. :) 

People will come here to vent about what things are bad within a game, it is a forum, it serves that purpose, I know if i wanted to vent then im certainly not going to come on spend weeks to get ot know ppl to then forget what my vent was originally about. He's came on vented then left. (or hung about like a bad fart).

@B4ND1T - People will come to a community forum for many reason - but to vent in the form of screaming about how one does not like (or hate) things is not going to fall under constructive feedback in any way. As people responded with comments as to how things have been fixed, it did not deter or change the behavior. 

If a person insists on being rude in my house, and I cant please or placate him in any way, I would show him the door in a polite manner. 

Now, the post above mine, I can see that Bacider _HAVE_ finally offered some constructive feedback of what he likes and dont like and what he see's the mod needs. Good on you, Bacinder! :) 

@Bacinder - If you do decide to spend some time and read earlier announcement posts, you might get some backstory and some reasoning as to why there are no Zombies, why there is antagonists, and why it is in a way more dangerous in Arma 3 Epoch than in Arma 2 Epoch. Personally I have never had any dread from hoard of Zeds, but the sound of a drone initializing and flying off in the air will cause evasive action to be needed. 

I think educating players on the finer points of difference between Arma 2 and Arma 3 epoch is definitely going to be needed - any Infographic wizards out there?  :) 

"@Bacinder - If you do decide to spend some time and read earlier announcement posts, you might get some backstory and some reasoning as to why there are no Zombies, why there is antagonists, and why it is in a way more dangerous in Arma 3 Epoch than in Arma 2 Epoch. Personally I have never had any dread from hoard of Zeds, but the sound of a drone initializing and flying off in the air will cause evasive action to be needed. "

Its not the direct danger of the zombs i am missing. First its the immersion - zombs were somehow believable, filled  the world with a atmosphere of a global breakout.

Was it a player or a zomb in the distance ? - true they werent that deadly (after a while - some time in dayz they were hardcore und the most dangerous thread, run faster and one hit knockout). But most of all they worked as a player radar in major spots (u know if someone is camping or around somewhere in a2), attacked someone shooting or at least gather around that area (without that anyone was already dead - so u have to be constantly on the move or u get camped out instead, cause  they lead the attacked one to the camper, they took the focus away from u. The sapper does it, asweel (sometimes) - but after someone is dead and most of the time it doesnt even attack the camper - more likely it wents for u. I dont like the massive camping of major spawn areas - without anyone entering the area have a clue. The drones or the other stuff is simply not believable for me. A exploding sapper (nature wouldnt do that selfdestruction kind of thing)- Additionally they are not common- i barely had a gunfight were a drone etc was a threat (people go for buildings) and the if i had a drone problem (the camper with his suprise advantage) used them, so u have to dodge the sniper bullets and u have to fight the aimbotting ai of the drone. Ist about game balance of different playstyles - dont put me in the box i am  a extremly talented sniper... but i dont enjoy that..

Let me put it this way - ai are never a real threat (desync, path finding etc) - but they should provide a game balancing way for both sides. (attacker, camper,defensive) - i think anyone who has some experience in a2 knows what i try to explain.  They have a game balancing feature (and i like zed things anyways). Breaking point made actually a good zomb version ( u dont knwo if it is a player, they are around u all the time in cities, growling ) and give u some shock moments. Are a player radar, are kind of deadly (u have to watch out for them) etc etc....

it does not have to be a Zombie - but it has to have its features - they actually made the old mod such a success story - cause u can use them,l cause they jump around u, cause they want ur brain all the time. Not like running trough a empty city covering every 5 mtrs and search the rooftops and every window (buargh.... just the imagination pushes me away from playing epoch again): Camper have to have a disadvantage - zombs provided that and they attack shooters. . Sappers.. are a one hit wonder at its best... hope they would bite instead of exploding.  I hope u understand my point - i struggle to explain it  

Axe said something, which is actually true. I am passionated about the mod and played a2 and even this mod for endless hrs. Everyone can see that hosts add their own content to the mod - which makes epoch about 90 % all about the building system. And for a second pls compare the latest a2 epoch build system with the actual one - and i always found it a good way for hoster that they can sell base building supplies to compensate for their server bills.

There are some little things which already would improve the building system about 100 %.

1.The foundations for not flat ground. Dont make 4 sticks - made it like a concrete floors (where noone can crawl under, jump in ur cars, look in ur base, kill u trough the floor, where u can park a car on top,) like a real foundation of a house ( a good ecample is the i build mod).

2. Metal floors and maybe the ability for not landable roofs (which u can already do with a wall and some adjustments).

3. Sandbags - fundamental ways for base protection

4. Smaller jammer ( for more hidden base possibilties) - u can make the jammer wider etc - but its to high. always need a 2 level building - and again metal floors, cause wood floors have gaps u can see through like the wood walls and they are (maybe were) too easy to destroy or get shot trough.

Bases have to be a secure place if u build them with sense - nowadays they are a death trap.

Yeah, I would assume something will be done about the foundations. I never really use them because I usually build in other buildings, but I've seen enough to know it's an issue. Can't you lift the foundation up higher though? Are they just standing up to get in?

About the roofs, they just need to make angle trusses or something. Or even something similar to the tank traps on a2? Remember origins had tank traps on top of the houses to prevent people from landing on them?

Aye sandbags would be nice.

And I agree, the jammer should really fit within the height of a wall. I don't think they really thought that one through when they first modeled it.

Don't get discouraged, things will change over time. If there are issues, people come here and explain them and they usually, eventually, get taken care of. They've got a ways to go yet, if you're not having fun then yeah just play something else and just check in every once in a while to see how things are going.

Bacider made a very aggressive opinion/post, he shouldn't be attacked by people who are official hosts, or staff it simply looks bad. Take his post with a grain of salt, everyone is going to have either a positive post or a negative post, don't get upset over what is wrote, just read through it and answer through it the best you can without having to insult or be aggressive back there simply is no need for it. You can't deem yourself respectable when you fire back with your own insults or hateful comments. I look forward to seeing what 0.3 has to offer and what improvements there are to come :)

Disclaimer: This is more of a reply to people that whinge about the mod, but as I'm addressing one of your points, it's in a reply to you.

"Official host" means basically that we applied for it once and got approved, I have no standing whatsoever and in the case of Epoch, being an official host carries more of a stigma than anything. As for "looking bad", if "perceptions" were mine or the devs primary concern; I'm sure we'd be waiting for years until the mod got done, because there's simply no one (with perhaps the exception of axeman (who is the king of zen)) here that feels like they can be arsed to be polite to the minority that are "passionate" about the mod by blurting out incoherent rage under the guise of really "caring about the mod", oh please. 

If anyone in all honesty, for real, "care" about the mod - stop acting like a bunch of entitled babbies who just got your pacifier removed and:

1. Install 0.3

2. Join Mells server

3. Test broken stuff

4. Post ACTUAL coherently written feedback here: https://github.com/EpochModTeam/Epoch/issuesbased on your FACTUAL experiences

If you joined this forum simply to write how much of a failure you think the devs are for "going against the community", then do the simple thing, don't come back here. Stick to MGT, CCG, or whatever savior you cling to, and don't bother with the pretention. 

Some "unique snowflake" people who visit these forums seem to be confused as to how they can't just spurt random hateful drivel and not being given respect for having "an opinion". 

Its not the direct danger of the zombs i am missing. First its the immersion - zombs were somehow believable, filled  the world with a atmosphere of a global breakout.  (1)

<snip>

Let me put it this way - ai are never a real threat (desync, path finding etc) - but they should provide a game balancing way for both sides. (attacker, camper,defensive) (2)

<snip>

Camper have to have a disadvantage - zombs provided that and they attack shooters. . Sappers.. are a one hit wonder at its best... hope they would bite instead of exploding.  I hope u understand my point - i struggle to explain it  (3)

I edited out most of the comment in the quote to highlight these three things that I think are a part of the concern you have (besides basebuilding) (Bold numbers = my edit for referencing).

As a reply with my own opinion: 

(1) = While this was the case in Arma 2, the global breakout is shown differently in Arma 3. This is likely where the backstory can be iterated on better. For the Arma 3 narrative, the outbreak is done. World is much more empty and the zeds likely got bored, wiped out by survivors or harvested in some way shape or form. (Note: Backstory clarification needed) 

(2) = AI in Arma 3 are much smarter than in Arma 2 as far as I can see. If you are playing on a server with missions or town invasion, you better be a good shot, as they will move as a squad, flank around, use doors and go house to house in urban environment. Pathing might at times be better - but it is much better in Arma 3. 

(3) = This is a really good and valid point. there should be a disadvantage to being in a spot for a long time. In order to discourage camping sites and have another Chernarus "Sniper Hill", maybe Devs could add a "AntagonistSpawnOnCampingBehavior = 0.05" which would spawn something if you exhibited Camping Behavior in some way.. like laying still in the same spot prone for 5 minutes will consider you a Camper... ? 

Your post is really not that hard to understand - when simplifying and clearly speaking to why you have the concern you do, you get a dialogue going and feedback that could result in change... like now I would love to see a spawn on Camping behavior. :) 

(3) = This is a really good and valid point. there should be a disadvantage to being in a spot for a long time. In order to discourage camping sites and have another Chernarus "Sniper Hill", maybe Devs could add a "AntagonistSpawnOnCampingBehavior = 0.05" which would spawn something if you exhibited Camping Behavior in some way.. like laying still in the same spot prone for 5 minutes will consider you a Camper... ? 

Perhaps the new suppression-mechanics in Arma 3 can help combat this? I read that there at least will be visual consequences to being suppressed?

@B4ND1T - Might I suggest that you download the 0.3 and test yourself? Instead of calling it undermanned server, rally some friends and test it out. If everyone reading this thread pulled 3 friends in for a 0.3 testing session, the server would likely be full. :)

@B4ND1T - People will come to a community forum for many reason - but to vent in the form of screaming about how one does not like (or hate) things is not going to fall under constructive feedback in any way. As people responded with comments as to how things have been fixed, it did not deter or change the behavior. 

If a person insists on being rude in my house, and I cant please or placate him in any way, I would show him the door in a polite manner. 

Now, the post above mine, I can see that Bacider _HAVE_ finally offered some constructive feedback of what he likes and dont like and what he see's the mod needs. Good on you, Bacinder! :)

@Bacinder - If you do decide to spend some time and read earlier announcement posts, you might get some backstory and some reasoning as to why there are no Zombies, why there is antagonists, and why it is in a way more dangerous in Arma 3 Epoch than in Arma 2 Epoch. Personally I have never had any dread from hoard of Zeds, but the sound of a drone initializing and flying off in the air will cause evasive action to be needed. 

I think educating players on the finer points of difference between Arma 2 and Arma 3 epoch is definitely going to be needed - any Infographic wizards out there?   :)

I have given up on Arma 3 Epoch as a server host and as a player, our crew plays other games ;) I will not be testing 0.3 or even the patch or patch after that, I'll wait until it's completed or forgotten about for another project before playing it again.

This is why you havent seen me post or waste my time posting an indepth review on what needs changed and what does not.

I just chimed in when i seen someone get bashed for the sakes of it.

Also this isn't a house it's a forum, the mere name invites discussion, it can't be compared to a persons house lol if you dont like negative things being said don't invite people the oppertunity to visit you and say it ;)

Sure they can show him the door, but in his posts it can't be for rule breaking, it would be because they didn't like what he was saying and want to cencor him ;) Which is not the route this place should be going down, but has been more apparent that it is for a while now with passive agressive threats like "he will be dealt with later" to paraphrase.

Here are the numbers right now and I would consider this peak time for EU. (Not 100% Accurate but close)

Servers Online: 962

Player Count: 1871 (Might be slightly higher)

Servers with 20 or More Players: 30

It was considerably more a month ago.  Will these players come back?  

Here are the numbers right now and I would consider this peak time for EU. (Not 100% Accurate but close)

It was considerably more a month ago.  Will these players come back?  

I am sure it will pick up with the release of 0.3, it also did this before the last update.  With the good chance that most server admins will do a complete wipe, why would players put time and effort into their current base or supplies when 0.3 is around the corner?   It's the reason I'm not on my regular server, there is a 98% chance it will be a complete wipe.

I jump on Mells occasionally, but it would be nice to have a public test plan and with no side chat on Mells it makes it even harder to coordinate with others to test anything that comes to mind.

This is not earth shattering behavior, it's happened before right before an update.

It was considerably more a month ago. Will these players come back?

Yeah, like it's been said a few times now, a lot of people have just stopped playing because they caught wind of there being server wipes for the new patch and they're just waiting for the patch and probably just playing other mods/games in the meantime. I do find this intriguing though as it seems the majority of players only really focus on pvp anyways.. honestly, I think epoch needs a sort of cleansing every once in a while. =p People who love this mod always end up coming back eventually.

Also this isn't a house it's a forum, the mere name invites discussion, it can't be compared to a persons house lol if you dont like negative things being said don't invite people the oppertunity to visit you and say it ;)

Sure they can show him the door, but in his posts it can't be for rule breaking, it would be because they didn't like what he was saying and want to cencor him ;) Which is not the route this place should be going down, but has been more apparent that it is for a while now with passive agressive threats like "he will be dealt with later" to paraphrase.

There is a way to to start a discussion as he did a few post ago that invited constructive critisicm, and I commend him on that. But coming in as he did on his first  post calling the dev's pot/poppy smoking, and bashing the mod because he didn't like it is no way to get someone to listen to you. If he had continued on this path then yes he would have been dealt with accordingly. 

@Bacinder, Thanks for coming back and providing some very good points. As I really hate using the banhammer as I believe everybody should be able to voice their opinion in a civil manner.

@B4ND1T We just try to keep the forums as civil as possible and keep the threads on track.

Bring back CCG and MGT and get infiSTAR to develop the antihack, please.

"Bring back", what do you mean? Unban the people behind them? They are already back here on the forums with different forum names.

But CCG and MGT are making money from the assets that the developers of Epoch created. Unless that changes, I don't think it will happen.

As for infiSTAR, him and the devs don't see eye to eye on a lot of subjects. It's personal, and I don't see them ever coming to the point of ever agreeing.

People who keep harping on this subject. You may as well give up.

"Bring back", what do you mean? Unban the people behind them? They are already back here on the forums with different forum names.

But CCG and MGT are making money from the assets that the developers of Epoch created. Unless that changes, I don't think it will happen.

As for infiSTAR, him and the devs don't see eye to eye on a lot of subjects. It's personal, and I don't see them ever coming to the point of ever agreeing.

People who keep harping on this subject. You may as well give up.

I don't believe MGT ever made money and only after the fallout they setup the store.   I think you should check facts on that.

io5ya.jpg

I agree... when you click on "OFFICIAL" its quite embarrassing.

3wpUT27.png