[FORM] The status of Epoch development

Tobias Solem

Not at all.

An interesting read for sure.

We read all feedback and it influences what we do. Am just saying, we have ideas and plans for the Mod, and won't be trolled / hated into sharing.. My personal opinion of anonymously written vitriol is not relevant here. Let's just say, it's not complimentary :)

Questionare/poll was pointless then if you already have a plan.

To my knowledge, the poll was not from the Dev team. 

Problem with making a decent poll these days is that you either need to spend money to get a bigger sample to be properly collected, collated and summarized.  

If you dont want to pay, there is the way of Google Forms, which the OP used - which gets the job done. 

The most difficult task in making a poll or survey though is to not ask leading questions, and to keep the possibility of having all kind of answers (positive, neutral, negative) be collected without bias.

If question is too negative or too positive, it will bias the answers, or lead the person to answer in a way that might be contrary to their opinion.

I think the result showed a series of opinions from the community, but these were based on the line of questions that imho were not neutral enough.

Would the outcome have been different had the questions asked been formed in a neutral way? Maybe, maybe not.

In the end, people still have to remember the following facts:

- Only a few here are the Developers and know what they want to do with things.

- No one is entitled to anything - this is the Devs boat to rock if they want to.

- IT IS NOT A COMPLETED MOD. (As in whining about things will be less effective than providing feedback in the feedback section, which is up to Devs to figure out what they want to change or not).

To close this off - thanks Tobias for the effort of putting the form in the field, regardless. :)  

Lol, Bacider first post eh? ;) you are deluded if you think I get time to 'smoke pot' do you really think I'd support 3, soon to be 4 kids, a wife, two rabbits and a goldfish if I did. Oh, and find time to do what I love, create for this mod! What have you done? We don't know cos you prefer anonymity, I call bwaark..

Use this nick in every forum of any mod out there. So dont worry its not i changed my name for this post. Its more i signed in today to know what the heck are u doin - read u post and had the DafuQ feeling, like always i played ur mod. I loved epoch for a2 - and its utterly "what the hell have u done... " And if u mess around with something i loved in my freetime - dont expect me to be friendly or sugar coating  what u have done so far - just have a look on the server populations for ur mod - nothing much to add besides - if someone host this, at least give him a way to pay his server bills instead of doing the opposite !

There was a working and much appreciated building system on a2 - and instead of take that over and improve it - u did something completly new - and its utterly nuts !. Why.. ? Serious why put physics into building- and than put a cultivist in the game - o.O- First u try to be realistic and that a dragon ball throwing cultivist. I just can imagine that someone thinks "yeah, exellent idea" - who actually smokes pot - but yeah i forget the poppy addiction than - which leads to be delusional.

Nonsense - and this complete fail of putting any immersion in the game, with not working mechanics ( died more through crappy, glitchy suddenly bumping building objects than through other players - well not completely true - got shot from beyond my base, through 3 walls etc or saw my whole base rekt into pieces cause someone placed some explosives - or cause my verhicles like to explode on server start, floating in mid air etc etc.... Its not just bad, its buggy as hell asweel. Base - shoudl be some kind of save haven but instead i was a duck in my own base, cause i couldnt defend myself proper due to no defense building possibilites. Well, proglitching, paper walls or verhicle cementary - thats what every base is right now. Base building is  a complete waste of time, reglemented in creativity, objects.... and not working wannabe physics. The only thing i like about the whole building thing u put out - are - the lock system and the cinder garage door. That was actually a improvement. Anything else ... crap

I wont talk much about ur zombie substitutes - its not worth to be mentioned in any way.  Besides beeing a zomb (had some kind of sense and was good for the immersion and filled up the world) - they had many functions for the game balance and dynamics (well u never played a2 epoch obviously) - which the new ai dont cover at all. U put in some....of the biggest nonsense i have seen in the whole time i played mods for arma. 

WHAT HAVE U DONE.... well alpha, i thought.. lets hope for the better-- till i saw a sneak peak of ur development, which killed every last inch of hope that u actually made up ur mind in some useful direction of a survival mod.... actuall i dont know what kind of mod this is.... definetley not a building mod, not a survival mod, not a zombie mod... ah well.. a horror mod ? Actually thats nothing  besides a slow paced wannabe wasteland cause nothing is more wasted on my storage drive than the mb for this mod.

THink about what u want to achieve, what is needed for game balancing and for what basebuilding stands for - before u just throw something in the code. The only horror i felt, its the horrible way u translated epoch a2 to a3.  - I am not here for sugarcoating this makes me fuckin angry... 

And before u call me a troller - ignorance is bliss - noone else than u should know that !

And before u call me a troller - ignorance is bliss - noone else than u should know that !

Clearly it is, since few points of actual criticism essentially amounts to just that, ignorance.

Whinge 1. Physics in building

Has changed in 0.3, no longer works the same. Dare I say the mod is in development?

Whinge 2. Fireball throwing cultist

They haven't been throwing any fireballs since the very first alpha. 

Whinge 3. Poppy

In all societies where survival/depression has been a part, usage of narcotics to escape reality has been as well. Poppies grow naturally and in great plenty in Greece (where Altis is based). 

Whinge 4. Bugs in base building that kill you

No shit, bugs in a 30% done alpha mod that kill you?

Whinge 5. Missing features to help defense

Are you for real? Since you are bitching about things that are fixed in 0.3 as well as moaning about things that were fixed in the third hotfix of the first alpha, I wonder if you have even tried this mod since then. But yes, features that help defenders are on the todo-list.

Whinge 6. Zombie substitutes

Too bad you did not like sappers. I never liked zombies, but I still enjoyed the fuck out of DayZ:Epoch. v0v

Whinge 7. "Think about what you want to achieve"

Their vision is sometimes unclear, I agree.

Whinge 8. "Immersion"

Immersion is a fickle beast, personally I think Altis with its default color scheme is immersion breaking, and until Sequisha ever finishes his map designed specifically for Epoch, we will not see what it may become. Without a doubt the devs have a backstory that they are working on and that will be introduced through in-game means. I know very very little of this personally, but to the devs they make sense. Until we get to a point where the devs are satisfied with how they are implemented, I'm happy to test them. And in the mean time, I know AWOL has been working on more dynamic weather effects, and that axeman is thinking about making missions that are appropriate to the setting, which I will personally tweak to make Altis feel more like a post-apocalypse, and try out.

Seems like you like epoch on A2 Bacider, maybe that's where you should put your energy.

Player numbers are mostly low due to the new version coming out and uncertainty on whether players will need to start over.  I mean why put work into a base and gather items etc if it is probably gonna be wiped with 0.3    

The player count drop is a little alarming but i could be wrong.  I did some general searches in Gametracker and looked at the Servers link on epochmod.com  I wonder if anyone from EPOCH can confirm or if they are even paying attention. (i would assume so)

Standalone has suffered this fate even though its ALPHA but when they switch to Beta I'm sure it will be all over Steam News and the main page and everyone will come back since everyone pretty much uses it.

If EPOCH makes strides in development the players that abandoned the mod are less likely to find out.  I fear people are leaving and not coming back...but what can we do except talk about it here. 

(this thread will prob be locked soon)

@ tobias 

long story short - nothing has  really changed - i read the changelog.

@osiris

i doubt that the numbers will increase much more after the update to 0.3- mark my words - played a2 enough and enjoying koth, bp for the moment- waiting for 2017

U call me troll, so show me the change of game dynamics and balancing ?

Without the changes in traders or missions system the host @ccg had made - there would have been nothing to fight against or for in the epoch world.

I don't NEED to show you, you can just install 0.3.0 and join Mells and try it out for yourself. There are missions there too, you know?

Yes you are a troll. You keep bitching about things that already have been changed AND you keep whining that the mod is unfinished which should be obvious to you since it is in alpha. 

Bacider, why not just go fuck off and die ?

You're just a troll bitching about a mod that isn't even 30% complete, you'll never be happy no matter what the devs do.

I'd suggest you go make your own mod but it's clear you're far too fucking stupid, nobody gives 2 shits about what you have to say, nobody even reads your ramblings, so all that's left is you fuck off elsewhere :)

Richie, Richie, be the better man here. Don't let him get to you. He will be dealt with accordingly. Love the smiley though....

What do you mean dealt with accordingly? for voicing his opinion?

He's entitled to do that here is he not or are you not alowed to negitivley say anything without it constituting you trolling. What if he actually is being serious and he actually thinks the mods shit at the moment?

As bizzare as his views are ; thought I'd edit that in in case anyone thinks i agree with im. I do agree to him having the ability to give his opinion though, as skewed as it is.

Just a small statement.

Please act as adults, even when you aren't 18+.

If the topic reaches a level where the insults are to high, report it to a forum administrator/moderator to take action.

Everyone else, just answer questions and give opinions. Be the better man. Respect other opininion even if you don't agree with him. Give structural feedback, and if the other guys starts to "troll" then ignore the matter.

If you " in this case Tobias " starts reacting on it and being angry. And you claim him being a troll, then the troll was successfull.

Welcome to the internet.

What do you mean dealt with accordingly? for voicing his opinion?

He's entitled to do that here is he not or are you not alowed to negitivley say anything without it constituting you trolling. What if he actually is being serious and he actually thinks the mods shit at the moment?

As bizzare as his views are ; thought I'd edit that in in case anyone thinks i agree with im. I do agree to him having the ability to give his opinion though, as skewed as it is.

I believe what Robio means is the way he expresses his opinion.

As people are entitled to their own opinion and should be able to express it, there are other ways of doing it. 

Example: "I think this mod is shit. I have a hard time looting and building when everyone is KOS all the time. Maybe there can be some sort of system in place that would refrain people from doing this? maybe a Hero vs Bandit where the bandit has a harder time then the rest"

See in this example it helps learn why you feel the way you do towards a topic, and some constructive corrections that could be implemented to help. Going from thread to thread posting "this mod is shit" doesn't really help develop or fix anything to change your mind. Because it's not constructive, these posts are not needed in the forums. Yes they help the person express their opinion, but give no reason why or suggestion on how to fix. 

I'm noticing a lot of servers are being shut down and the player base is dropping dramatically.  I took a few weeks off and seeing the player numbers are now a lot lower.

I shut mine down a few days ago. Concentrating on a new A2 Epoch server I put up and might come back to A3 Epoch when it's out of Alpha.

I believe what Robio means is the way he expresses his opinion.

As people are entitled to their own opinion and should be able to express it, there are other ways of doing it. 

Example: "I think this mod is shit. I have a hard time looting and building when everyone is KOS all the time. Maybe there can be some sort of system in place that would refrain people from doing this? maybe a Hero vs Bandit where the bandit has a harder time then the rest"

See in this example it helps learn why you feel the way you do towards a topic, and some constructive corrections that could be implemented to help. Going from thread to thread posting "this mod is shit" doesn't really help develop or fix anything to change your mind. Because it's not constructive, these posts are not needed in the forums. Yes they help the person express their opinion, but give no reason why or suggestion on how to fix. 

I suggest you read a couple of his posts again, skip past his angry kid tones and pick up on what he's actually saying, I'd say there is plenty constructive advice in there. You just have to skip his angry style posting to see it. So again he's being dealt with for what? Being attacked for giving his opinion and being called a troll by tobias, because he doesn't like whats being said? Then Ritchie outright attacks him as well. Are they being dealt with?

Probably not.

Maybe he's young. Maybe he lacks the coherance to string a decent long 8 paragraph analysis of the game. Maybe he did get some points across, but not to others standards, so is thus a troll.

Maybe you should deal with people who state things like Ritchie did "Bacider, why not just go fuck off and die ?" Pretty harsh to wish someone to die because they post an opinion on the tinterweb. I thought better of you.

Or is that cool and not to be dealt with?

The guy joined yesterday with the sole intention of being a troll, most people when they join a community try to fit it, this guy wants to stand out by acting like a dick.

Maybe i was harsh with my words but it annoyed me, I've been part of this community since 2013, I respect the devs, they can and will make mistakes but in the end they do amazing work, since i discovered A2 Epoch all them years back i've been a fan.

The fact remains that Bacider isn't here to be helpful or nice or offer constructive criticism, he's here to troll and attack.

being called a troll by tobias, because he doesn't like whats being said? 

No, being called a troll because he is complaining about things that already have been changed/fixed, thus proving he hasn't been really paying attention, and just want to stir something up all whilst ironically calling anyone who disagrees with -him- ignorant.

He simply has to be trolling, nobody lacks that much self-awareness. ^^