Yet another launcher

BenR

Can we not just come to the conclusion that creating more and more launchers isn't really worth it? After seeing the web launcher and now this client launcher, I simply don't believe its worth it. All launchers are going to download different mods to different names, creating compatibility issues, and I think the mod is too early in development for a specialized launcher to be developed, surely that can't be top priority?

I'm sure the community would rather see progression in the mod instead of random side projects, which personally I see as an attempt to rebuild the population on Mell's house, by the way how it only lists Dev servers, not even official hosts.

The point above has been raised before and the message never seems to get anywhere.

BenR

EDIT : just found this post aswell 

I too am right, there are way too many people spreading negativity and complaining here. Over, and over and over again.

Enough people (me included) wanted an Epoch-specific launcher, and now we have one. You don't like it. Don't use it.

I was just being a funny guy. I was under the impression we already had a launcher just for epoch. 

You're a bit late to the party, is already done and in testing. Is more of an upgrade on the original downloader, with a few enhancements :) oh and original features..

IMO it is probably a very good product and I can simply say that because if is made by you and I know your work of the past. Personally I just don't think it should only have "dev" servers in it, which probably/hopefully is only just because it is new at the moment.

IMO it is probably a very good product and I can simply say that because if is made by you and I know your work of the past. Personally I just don't think it should only have "dev" servers in it, which probably/hopefully is only just because it is new at the moment.

You can add your own custom servers now. Is XML driven so other servers can be added. The original one has all of the Epoch servers from the forum and web based list. Need to add paging. The leg work is done for the paging I just need to implement it and debug. We wanted to get it out, as it is, for early testing.

Ignoring the troll posts, like annoying bugs they should go away. If not a ban always works..

I admit that it would be nice if there were a single launcher that people could use that had all the features that players need in order to connect to a server.  That being said, I think if there are going to be multiple launchers, then at the very least all of the launcher creators need to work together so that they are the same in a few key areas.  The most important is how mods are downloaded to players.  The folder structure needs to be identical across all launchers so that a person can close one launcher, open another and be able to join a server flawlessly without having to download anything new because the name of the @mod folder they downloaded a few hours ago is "wrong".  

I fail to see the problem with choice :unsure: better to have 10 launchers to choose from then none.

Look what happened to ArmA 2 when we all relied on Dayz Commander :p Josh was soooo slow releasing updates, how many days did server admins have to wait because of him ? we 'd have the server files done, scripts added but couldn't release it because the players relied on DZC for the new client side files.

Then he abandoned it and admins were left with servers that would never be listed

If you have a favorite launcher then fantastic, keep using it and be happy :D

Bitching because you have too much choice makes no fucking sense :rolleyes:

To be honest, I don't see anything special about this new launcher, In the time its taken to get it to a semi usable state, maca's already done the A3Launcher, fully functional with every server / mods listed.

I agree with the OP that it would be better to stay focused on the mod rather than get side tracked with barely functional fanboi goodies. I hope you take this post as constructive feedback.

Regards

i

To be honest, I don't see anything special about this new launcher, In the time its taken to get it to a semi usable state, maca's already done the A3Launcher, fully functional with every server / mods listed.

I agree with the OP that it would be better to stay focused on the mod rather than get side tracked with barely functional fanboi goodies. I hope you take this post as constructive feedback.

Regards

i

Wasn't a new launcher, Axeman just updated the old one. And I highly doubt that this little launcher is going to sidetrack the development. And it IS their time anyway to do with it what they want.

My questions are:

What is/was the purpose of having to create the new launcher?  

Will the other popular launcher not function in the near future for some reason?

Must be some reason behind it.. Just curious.

As far as having another launcher.. I don't care if there are 100 choices of launchers.  In the end of the day I'll just install and use one.   Funny to see people complain about something free.

The Epoch team didn't demand any money from anyone for anything.. and yet people want to complain about free shit.

Amazing.