What is the vision, the "Why?" of Epoch?

Tobias Solem

Cloning? Lol! So that made giant rock monsters and running and exploding dildos? You know who else has a extremely small team? The ark survivor evolved ones and there killing it! That game has more content and fun upon release then epoch, dayZ stand alone, Rust, and others have in over a year plus of development.

Epoch is SO boring and updates happen only every few months and quite frankly that's not good enough and using the small team excuse just doesn't cut it anymore. I urge everyone to move over to ark. Especially all the modders!

Cloning? Lol! So that made giant rock monsters and running and exploding dildos? You know who else has a extremely small team? The ark survivor evolved ones and there killing it! That game has more content and fun upon release then epoch, dayZ stand alone, Rust, and others have in over a year plus of development.

Epoch is SO boring and updates happen only every few months and quite frankly that's not good enough and using the small team excuse just doesn't cut it anymore. I urge everyone to move over to ark. Especially all the modders!

Marvin when was the last time you had a brain scan? Too many hits to the old noggin has left you obviously confused :wacko:  and angry :angry: . Leave your bile and baiting somewhere else and let us more cogent contributors debate sensibly!

Ark is backed by a Game Studio with cash from VC's The dev's they have are getting paid to build ARK. Epoch is a couple of guys building a MOD they want for free. They only get our donations here or if you support them on patreon. Big difference. Epoch devs have other jobs and many have family's that come first. They do this mod in their free time. If you can't deal with that then go play fuckin ARK.

Lol

Flavor of the month. H1Z1, GTA5, Ark, most end up coming back to Arma, especially if they like the realism of armed combat.

Yeah you can't even begin to compare a game studio who is paying developers, who most likely went to school to learn everything they're doing and were hand picked to do it, with a couple guys that got together and decided themselves that they wanted to MOD something they'd want to play themselves, who aren't promised a certain payment for their time, but rather making time in between IRL stuff, jobs, family, etc.

And of course, again, they're modding, not developing an entire game from the bottom up, so they have their limitations.

Nice try though. I'm not going to lie, I kind of miss Squisha's smart ass comments lol.

everyone said the same about H1Z1 and other bullshit games with potato XBOX graphics. I personally always loved realism first, not stupid content, like dinosaurs and other bullshit.

everyone said the same about H1Z1 and other bullshit games with potato XBOX graphics. I personally always loved realism first, not stupid content, like dinosaurs and other bullshit.

Hey now, don't be talking smack on dinos!

Ark is backed by a Game Studio with cash from VC's The dev's they have are getting paid to build ARK. Epoch is a couple of guys building a MOD they want for free. They only get our donations here or if you support them on patreon. Big difference. Epoch devs have other jobs and many have family's that come first. They do this mod in their free time. If you can't deal with that then go play fuckin ARK.

As far as the Epoch Devs go , Hats Off to them , Here is another team that did a free to play mod , and then decided to make their own similar game through Kickstarter . Maybe VbAwol and the gang will do the same .

http://joinsquad.com/

First , you need the "Vision" then ......

Btw - these devs have other jobs as well ...

In my opinion the actual problem with Epoch is the challenge. I think it is not about zombies or anything else. A2 Epoch was so succesfull because over a challenging game (A2 Dayz) you added some incredible features, like construction, safes, traders, etc.. But the thing is that playing A2 epoch, you feel the challenge. Yes zombies were idiot, and it was really hard to get killed by one of them, but as you played the game, you understood that it was way better to sneak into a town to get what you needed, rather than start shooting. It was challenging not being seen by Zeds, and you didnt wanted to be detected by zeds because that told other players you were there.

I think at this point of develpment, A3 Epoch is not really challenging. Yes it does has unlimited potencial, either with the actual antagonists, or with any other, but you should work on the challenge, on what makes a player want to be 4 hours in a row playing your game. Of course this is just an opinion.

I gave my ideas to them.. now it's up to them to put in whatever they deem fit from their think-tank or players input.

I've stopped playing cuz it just got boring for me.

But regardless I'm sitting back awaiting some new content.  There are new maps out now and/or very soon but I don't think re-doing the same things on a different map is going to cut it for me so I'll wait and see.

So far they are doing great but I'm hopeful they get some more content other than a new gun or vehicle.

Hope they go crazy on base building

0.3.0.4 will drop when ArmA 1.48 is released :p it's ready to go, with it comes new features and new maps, after that testing continues.

For the record Awol sends dev servers an average of 5 updates per day, sometimes more, sometimes less but he is always doing something.

Axeman is forever chugging away with antagonist changes and new things, they're a small team working for free, just be patient and remember how Dayz Epoch started and what it became :)

I guess like most here i have been trying out some new games in the last few weeks, Ark, Savagelands... etc. 

I've reconstituted my Amra2 Epoch server and been busy adding scripts and gaming with my groups core players, but the conversation always comes back to Arma3.

There's frustration, yes, and questions about the direction Epoch is taking which will hopefully be answered soon.

I agree with Tobias that the "Why" is important to all of us and clarification would enhance the meaning of testing/playing the future builds.

But my opinion is that most of the new games that have come out in the last month or so still lack the core elements that all draw us back to Epoch.

Otherwise we wouldn't be here reading this :) 

Ark, Rust, etc etc don't hold a candle to A3 mods imo. But there is a 400lb gorilla in the room: Breaking Point. Now days I turn on twitch and all the big arma 3 channels are playing BP.  Hell, 2 of the most consistent overpoch players were streaming it last time I checked out their channels: Sada and Bart.  Not to mention the giant channels like Summit, Fairlight, etc.  There's a real chance here of losing a serious chunk of the loyal epoch/overpoch community to Breaking Point.

Ark, Rust, etc etc don't hold a candle to A3 mods imo. But there is a 400lb gorilla in the room: Breaking Point. Now days I turn on twitch and all the big arma 3 channels are playing BP.  Hell, 2 of the most consistent overpoch players were streaming it last time I checked out their channels: Sada and Bart.  Not to mention the giant channels like Summit, Fairlight, etc.  There's a real chance here of losing a serious chunk of the loyal epoch/overpoch community to Breaking Point.

There's nothing stopping Epoch creating zombies as an alternative antagonist to allow server owners to choose whether they want them or not.

There's nothing stopping Epoch creating zombies as an alternative antagonist to allow server owners to choose whether they want them or not.

I'd prefer ai running around with chainsaws and/or waving hatchets around myself, but I guess that isn't possible... or is it?  I mean, Arma doesn't have melee sadly, but could you program ai to use a hatchet and know to use it in close quarters... I mean that's basically what the zombies did right?

Axeman!  Aaaaxxemaaaaaaaan1!

Zombies have been overdone at this point, how about some crazy ass psychopathic serial killers?  I don't know, maybe that won't fit into their ideas for a story setting... whatever that is. =P

Zombies work well for some games, but I think they're just lame in Arma.