Dx12

raymix

I haven't seen a thread around, so starting a new one. 
There has been quite a lot of hype around next directx that will come with windows 10 later this year (w10 will be free for a year to all 7 and 8.1 users, btw if you upgrade in time). I've been reading about DX12 for quite a while now, including news and rumors and what not, it definitely looks promising and the first thing that always pops in my head instantly is Arma 3.

Long story short - the more cores you have, the better (in theory) as it won't be first core doing all the work anymore... this means good news to us AMD users, ofcourse.

The real reason I decided to finally create this topic is this article here:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/directx_12_will_allow_multi-gpu_geforce_radeon_configs/1

Now imagine upgrading your GPU, but instead of trying to sell the old one, you use it for added effect. If this is actually true and nvidia does not go full retard with proprietary drivers when this gets released, I could see so much potential in next gen games pushing massive amounts of draw calls and poly counts while keeping customers on budget builds.... dayum!

/discuss

Using an ATI and NVIDIA at the same time sounds cool, but im not sold that it's practical. NVIDIA has a hard enough time stabilizing their drivers without all this... 

Should be interesting to say the least.. I'll be upgrading to win10 eventually ... let some of the bugs get worked out.

I'll be upgrading to win10 eventually ... let some of the bugs get worked out.

Same, will be ordering 120 or 250 samsung evo when dx12 launches and go with fresh windows 10, sitting on my good old 60GB kingston here for now

• 2 weeks later...

I'm as excited as you are about the potential for this.  But I have to say that unless DX12 is hard-coded to force all GPUs in a system to work together, I can't see AMD or NVidia allowing their cards to work together at the driver level.  AMD might allow it, but NVidia probably won't.  If you recall, they shut out the ability to use any NV card as a Physx processor along side any Radeon graphics card.  They also have chosen not to support Adaptive Sync as part of the new VESA standard, instead opting to force their G-SYNC technology on everyone.  Don't get me wrong...I love team green.  I use their cards exclusively because of their better performance and better drivers (in my own experience at least), but I hate how they tend to "take their ball and go home" when the potential to collaborate is right in front of them.