BEC.

Scorpi

Question

This sounds alot like "If you don't play by my rules I'm taking my ball and going home!" lol

At least he's drawing attention to his cause, even if we do not agree.

Whatever other server admins do on their server is really none of anyone's business.

It has zero effect on me, because anyone that plays on those servers wouldn't last five minutes on mine. lol

I personal would never have any pay to win or any type of subscriber perks on my server.

You suffer like everyone else lol

btw.. what's with all this new neckbeardy elitest bs I see showing up here in epoch?

I don't remember it ever being like that. I know some noobs can be frustrating but this whole "if you don't know this you shouldn't be an admin" attitude really isn't fitting the epoch community as I knew it.

Even Epoch didn't get here magically overnight. I guarantee they've run into things they don't know, but work through it.

I could see where some admins never had to edit a host file. I've only had to change it maybe a dozen times out of all my game servers and projects over the years.

We ALL knew nothing at one time, and we ALL learned by research and asking questions.

You wont make them better admins, by being rude. It's just disappointing to see.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Thank you M3Editor2 for maybe the simplest solution for this issue. I just edited in notepad++ like everything else, but this is probably the quickest and easiest.

Thank you Swash, that negative attitude really sucks. I remember starting a year ago and being afraid to ask questions on here becuase people blast you if it's something simple.... What's the point of being on a forum if you know everything and are just here to insult others.

If we want to increase overall population in our servers and community, we need to be friendly and helpful to everyone in it. Regardless of their skill level. If you don't like to see "noob" questions, then simply don't read the forums.

Now for my noob question, does this fix work with hosted servers? Where would I upload this notepad file that I create?

BEC Simple Fix

I found a fix from Dwarfer! Ill share it here! 

The host file if you like is like a mini DNS server so you can get it to fake where a domain name resolves to.. You can only edit this file as Administrator.

So if you log onto your box then past the following into the run box (windows key+r) 

runas.exe /user:Administrator "notepad %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"

it will ask for the admin password. Type the password in (also into this thread else it will not work   B) ).  This will then bring up a notepad window. Add the lines from above to that file and save it. Restart the server or gameserver and you should be good.

If you are using a hosting provider they may have todo this for you...

Anything inside the quote if from him and i take no credit for it! 

hrm that fix didnt seem to work for me oddly. still getting the "No Valid Reponse, trying to reconnect" 3 times, then "failed to check for updates" then it auto closes.

I've added home ip to the host file, and also blocked the exe on windows firewall. No prevail. Perhaps my version of bec is off? Not sure.

Nothing, that's another oddity. They don't generate a log for the attempt. <_<

Anyways i completely deleted bec and pulled a version link off this thread and now it's given up connecting, but at the same time I also blocked any outgoing traffic from it on domain level, and now it finally seems to skip dialing home and goes right to scheduling. One of the two things fixed it, I won't complain regardless of which one.

Either way, this is kind of a patch up job for us as it stands. We will likely need a more long term solution to fill in the void that BEC will leave if they choose to stay inactive indefinitely. At the very least, someone should write some kind of new protocol for announced server restarts. 

PunkBuster is a Anticheat tool, just like VAC or BattlEye.

BEC is an external programm, that just uses the RCON protocol (which came with BattlEye) to communicate with the server.

BEC is not anticheat software and BE (which IS anticheat software) is still fully working, and PunkBuster has none of the functions BEC provides, so why should BIS implement another anticheat (PunkBuster) alongside the already existing BattlEye, which offers script detection and is therefore perfectly suited for the ArmA series?!

Greez KiloSwiss

So workaround has been working fine for weeks now, however recently been having an issue where BEC occasionally doesn't start with my BAT file (the one that I call in the scheduler to restart server every 4 hours). The BEC window pops up for a few seconds then disappears. if I re-run BEC manually it works usually. And this only seems to happen sometimes. Any idea what might be causing it? I'm not on all the time and this causes the server to go without reboot for 6-10 hours at a time :(

Dovah,

is you check you log what does bec say ? i have seen it sometimes where it dies after the server has been slow to start, so you can either increase the timeout or use a BEC keep alive BAT file. I have one if you don't have one. I can share.

Ta

Dovah,

is you check you log what does bec say ? i have seen it sometimes where it dies after the server has been slow to start, so you can either increase the timeout or use a BEC keep alive BAT file. I have one if you don't have one. I can share.

Ta

Hey, problem happened again today so I'm going to try increasing the timeout. Also wouldn't mind a keep alive file :) Cheers