Is this even? wait what?

machine6fd

I'll also be contacting them to have it removed. I seen this coming when I first released VEMF, ever since survival servers charged for DayZ script installs. It's the reason VEMF has a non-commercial license.

So even with a license they ignore it, if you want real action then send the DMCA direct to the data center :D that'll make them jump and fast

They use OVH so email [email protected]

You can also contact the owner of OVH via Twitter @ https://twitter.com/olesovhcom

Oles is actully a really nice guy, I dealt with him back in 2001 when OVH was just getting started.

DMCA? They won't lift a finger unless there's millions of dollars on the table to possibly gain. XD

They don't have a choice, although the DMCA is an american law, most hosts will follow it, the exception being counties like Panama and the Ukraine and some hosts in Hong Kong, but that's another story.

I think we all agree that they should really not be doing script installs this way. If you want your work removed and they do not comply then please let me know. 

I got my work removed. was surprised they replied so fast. 

(official host?)

https://survivalservers.com/sspanel/?game=arma3

2FxiweU.jpg

First: The box image credit belongs to the community not me... I added a stupid image to the spawn point to tell ppl in my server some info. The community took it and made it better. come on! Also anyone could have done it. it didn't take anything outside of the tools/assets given by arma so I think for me to claim "credit" just sounds dumb.

I am really not one to complain but that is pretty shady making money of what other people have done... I thought epoch was one mod that was set against doing this?

I could be way off here... I've used SS in the past (A2 Dayz) and other than bad support (that I had) i liked their service. I guess what makes me most upset is I offer help to many people on these forums I help set up their servers and I refuse donations all the time. I do it for the experience. I have made some good friendships out of it. I remembered how crappy the dayz community was about helping others and instead would just say "google it" I wanted to make a difference... but this makes me kinda meh

Am i wrong?

This is why BEC shut down. Stuff like this . People charging cash for stuff like this. 

Three days now since I contacted them, no reply so far and SEM is still on the list of "server mods" they charge their customers to install.

I got my work removed. was surprised they replied so fast.

They are still charging 20 Bucks to install "Opening Credit Welcome Messages" by Gr8Boi

https://survivalservers.com/sspanel/?game=arma3

Greez KiloSwiss

Our customers enjoy using some of the community's addons with their Epoch servers. These mods are what make ARMA modding awesome, they are available to the community openly and the community can creatively come up with new ideas to expand the game to make it playable. Adapting with the times is necessary and custom modding allows that.

​While I am disappointed that we can no longer offer VEMF / Simple Epoch Missions (and any other addon creator that contacts us) to server owners who are eager to admin a game server and don't know how to install the code, we have removed the these two mods from our mod installation service.

​The idea that we are profiting from other's work is something that we don't see eye to eye on. Example: The time it takes to install VEMF could be from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on whether or not the addon is combined with other scripts and testing. We need to charge for this time in order to stay in business (an hour or two cannot be spent on every customer who wants these scripts without a cost associated with the time). The amount that we charge is within reason and below normal programming/modding hourly costs in the industry.

What it boils down to is that there are game server owners who do not know how to install these complex scripts. They want a game server that has these awesome mods that make the game great. We can't offer these resources for free as it's just not possible. Server owners who know how can install them themselves and we do not provide any sort of restriction or incentive otherwise (our FTP is fully unlocked, DLL uploads are restricted but uploaded upon request due to security reasons).

GSPs who host Epoch servers are doing the same thing with the Epoch developers. GSPs charge a monthly rate. These resources cost money, whether it be tangible resources like servers and hardware or intangible services like programming time, bandwidth. Epoch devs have licensed the work accordingly.

That said, it is the decision of the addon developer who can use their work. If modders license their work and disallow commercial use, we will comply.