Is this even? wait what?

machine6fd

(official host?)

https://survivalservers.com/sspanel/?game=arma3

2FxiweU.jpg

First: The box image credit belongs to the community not me... I added a stupid image to the spawn point to tell ppl in my server some info. The community took it and made it better. come on! Also anyone could have done it. it didn't take anything outside of the tools/assets given by arma so I think for me to claim "credit" just sounds dumb.

I am really not one to complain but that is pretty shady making money of what other people have done... I thought epoch was one mod that was set against doing this?

I could be way off here... I've used SS in the past (A2 Dayz) and other than bad support (that I had) i liked their service. I guess what makes me most upset is I offer help to many people on these forums I help set up their servers and I refuse donations all the time. I do it for the experience. I have made some good friendships out of it. I remembered how crappy the dayz community was about helping others and instead would just say "google it" I wanted to make a difference... but this makes me kinda meh

Am i wrong?

Nothing will happen, no action will be taken, SS won't even take down your work when asked, all you can do is pray they catch AIDs :)

Of Coarse SS wont take down our work, But Devs will probably remove all the ads from this forum

Our supporters give us development servers or have given at one point and in exchange we add a backlink on our site. While I do not approve of this, what you expect us to do about it? We cannot legally enforce action on the behalf of someone else. I would say that if a author of a script feels they do not want them using there code or its a violation of the license put on it by the author they should contact them about it.

I will add a license that forbids this to SEM (currently there is a "don't use it in a commercial way/product" term of usage in the readme file, which seems to be not enough to stop these griefing asshats) and if they continue to sell it, good luck for them...

But unfortunately it seems as they are in a gray area, selling the installation and not the script itself.

Let's see what we can find...

But the worst are the customers, if nobody would pay them, theyr "service" could not exist/persist.

And every single one that gives them his money is dumb and needs to be slapped in the face, many, many times.

I cannot stress how unstable thier servers are. Yes, I have rented a server from them for A2 a long time ago, The server would be down for 2 days. They wouldnt restart, etc

vbawol, you should ban every SS customer here on the forums lol

A majority of people who use GSP hosted servers are new or don't care to learn about the hosting side of things, all the scripts are publicly available and they give credits.

I see nothing wrong with them trying to make money, they are a BUSINESS. ROFL.

Best course of action really is to educate all the poor SS clients that comes to the forum looking for help with their server. 

By telling and showing how a well hosted server is running and how they dont have to bleed through the nose to get what they want in a server, you will give the customer a far more dangerous tool than lawyer action: You will get an informed Customer. 

Now - if that Customer keeps on wanting to bleed from the nose, well ... Mr Darwin, table for one less, please. :) 

Our supporters give us development servers or have given at one point and in exchange we add a backlink on our site. While I do not approve of this, what you expect us to do about it? We cannot legally enforce action on the behalf of someone else. I would say that if a author of a script feels they do not want them using there code or its a violation of the license put on it by the author they should contact them about it.

So you are telling us, that anyone can do whatever he wants with your mod?

A majority of people who use GSP hosted servers are new or don't care to learn about the hosting side of things, all the scripts are publicly available and they give credits.

I see nothing wrong with them trying to make money, they are a BUSINESS. ROFL.

I've been running servers for 11 years now, but I still prefer a GSP. They manage all updates and fix problems so I don't have to. I don't have to worry about getting a dedicated box set up and install all the latest OS fixes and security patches, nor do I have to worry about downloading anything. I have run dedicated boxes in the past, but I prefer a GSP for Epoch.

Now, about this "service", you guys have to remember that they are charging for the installation service. They aren't selling the mods. With that said, I don't support this and anyone too lazy to install easy scripts like those deserve to be bilked out of their money.

So you are telling us, that anyone can do whatever he wants with your mod?

Absolutely not, please re-read what I said, we simply cannot be the ones that enforce the licenses of others work. The content machine6fd, mentioned is user made and may have many different licenses.

Why the hell is my SEM and blckeagl's AI Missions more worth than Vampires excellent script?

Why are other great scripts like A3EAI by face or FuMS-HC by Horbin (which are IMHO both way better coded than SEM) not in the list?

Why did I feel like a thief when I received around ~50$ donations for creating and releasing SEM and now I see that they charge 30$ only for a one time installation?

I can't take this any longer, this shit pisses me off!

Anyway I spoke with my lawyer, I contacted them directly, and they have now 48 hours to answer.

We will see if and how they react to my message and then act appropriately.

Greetings to everyone, I'm out for now!

They did it and they'll keep on doing it over and over ...

As i said before, nothing will be done and SS will keep selling members work, the author of the addon/script will make zero £/$ for all the work, SS will keep milking it's customers

Official supporter. Not being removed, speaks volumes in my mind.