Is this even? wait what?

machine6fd

Technically they aren't selling anyone's work. They are charging to install the mods on a client's server, in the same way they are not selling the Arma 3 server files and Epoch server files, only charging to host them for their customers. Again, I don't support this but that's really all they are doing.

I understand they probably do this to reduce the number of people that ask them to install scripts, but they could just say they don't install scripts under any circumstance and leave it at that, rather than trying to discourage admins from asking them by posting ridiculous rates. Then again, maybe they aren't doing it to discourage admins from asking for them to install scripts, maybe they are just looking to make extra money.

That's exactly how they will spin it:  they aren't charging anything for the scripts.  They are charging for the service of installing them.  As such, any legal action against them will likely go nowhere.  Even IF (and that's a big IF) it ever went to court you would have to prove that they were willfully and knowingly breaking the license of the script by selling the script itself.  As a GSP they have every right to offer whatever services to their clients they want to.  If one of those services happens to be installing a script then so be it.  There's not much legal ground to stand on there.  Now if they were selling the scripts themselves or trying to pass them off as being their own work, then yeah, you could easily sue them and probably win.  But they are plainly giving full credit to the original authors, so that's clearly not the case.

So now let's dig into the other half of the discussion - why would they offer those services at all?  There's a couple possible reasons.  The first is that they're just money grubbing whores and want to make some quick money off of noob server admins who have more money than sense and shouldn't be running a server in the first place.  The second, is that they're tired of dealing with noob admins who shouldn't be running a server in the first place and are charging out the nose for something that their clients have been bugging them about over and over again because they don't know how to install scripts by themselves, so they charge such an outrageous price for installing them that they will just go away and let their support personnel have time to deal with other paying customers with legitimate problems.

@BetterDeadThanZed

The way they have it laid out on the site makes it look like they are doing exactly that. Now if they had a "service" to install mods for you that would be different. Truth is i dont care about what i did... its about 30 mins worth of work so whatever... but my name is on that shit! I did it for nothing and gave it to everyone for nothing don't charge people for! I found this from a guy joining my server and asking me how i was "affiliated" with survival servers. I want nothing to do with a company like this.... at all. I feel sorry for the guys that worked their ass off to give things away for free and these scumbags make a profit.

Yes it is a grey area, but at the same time it's a douche move and I think every content creator agrees with me (tell me if You don't, I would like to hear the reasons).

But again, every Badmin that gives them his money and supports their toxic behaviour against the content creators (and indirectly against the whole community), just because he is a lazy ass, needs to be slapped in the face!

Good night everyone

The second, is that they're tired of dealing with noob admins who shouldn't be running a server in the first place and are charging out the nose for something that their clients have been bugging them about over and over again because they don't know how to install scripts by themselves, so they charge such an outrageous price for installing them that they will just go away and let their support personnel have time to deal with other paying customers with legitimate problems.

More of this I'd recon.  I think it's less of server providers trying to make an extra buck than it is hundreds of frickin kids with a credit card number that want their own server because that'd be dope.  It is a bit of a douche move, but then if you were in their place and you had all these kids pestering you to install scripts and waving money at you, what would you do?  Not charge them?  Give them a discount?  Tell them to piss off?  Either way they're still running a business and they're not going to do extra work for free, and at the same time they don't want to drive away customers.  I'd be pissed too though, it's a sh!tty dog eat dog world out there.

More of this I'd recon.  I think it's less of server providers trying to make an extra buck than it is hundreds of frickin kids with a credit card number that want their own server because that'd be dope.  It is a bit of a douche move, but then if you were in their place and you had all these kids pestering you to install scripts and waving money at you, what would you do?  Not charge them?  Give them a discount?  Tell them to piss off?  Either way they're still running a business and they're not going to do extra work for free.

Agreed.  I think it's a bit of a "rock and a hard place" situation for them.   Either they piss off paying customers or they piss off a handful of content creators.  Neither is a "good" choice, but, given the fact that they are trying to run a profitable business by keeping customers and they gave full credit to the original authors it seems to me that they chose the lesser of two evils.  I'm not defending their actions on this, but I do understand them.

Not long ago I went with them and ordered all of that, I was sick in and out of the ER, so I thought I needed backup/a safety blanket in case I went down for longer. I didn't want to leave my team mates without a server, especially later down the road. I figured "modder" though that is not so. 

Their "modder" only installed the simple things and even those few did not work. Never finished and replies were days at times. A few other issues and some I created, like when unpacking one certain pbo the prefix would be stripped no matter what. I was also medicated, but the fact is, I did not come near to what I paid for. The blanket was non existent.

I then switched to Vilayer when I felt able and installed everything myself. SS kept my money for not even half of the work and the work done was half ass. I learned my lesson.

A majority of people who use GSP hosted servers are new or don't care to learn about the hosting side of things, all the scripts are publicly available and they give credits.

I see nothing wrong with them trying to make money, they are a BUSINESS. ROFL.

^^^^This^^^^

From the Survival Servers website......

"We provide a one-time fee installation service to install custom mods on your game server"

They are not selling your scripts\mods, so good luck contacting lawyers. There is nothing wrong with charging a fee to install something. If they were charging a monthly fee to have the script\mod on the server it would be different. 

This all makes me sad for this community... I thought we were better than this. I guess not. 

Cheer up machine6fd!  :)

We are not all scrubs like SS.

I wonder if they update the addons/scripts that they install?

Judging by the comments about SS Service Department or lack thereof I should think not.

But to have an "Official" provider with this kind of business ethic!   :blink: 

I say let the monkey of the chain and set it free....then unleash hell.

Yea I saw this a few months ago and contacted them. Couldn't find the reply but basically they said "It's a service for those who don't have the knowledge or experience to install the mods themselves." They went on further to say it takes a dedicated team member hours to work out all the Battleye filters for each mod and that is why they are priced different. I guess the 5 or 6 BE filters SEM requires with detailed instructions takes them hours to figure out so that's why it cost $30.00 (sarcastic laugh)

There are plenty of people out there who *want* to run a server but don't know how to, who have paid people who know how to to help them add scripts to their server(s). There even have been threads to that regard on these very forums. Some people pay a lot to have a bunch of scripts installed for them.

This is pretty much the same thing, except done by a host. Basically you pay for their knowledge, effort and time spent, and in many cases the server-admins get paid hourly rates and get paid for the full hour, regardless of if it takes 10 minutes or 50.

If you rent a server from a hosting company, it's going to cost money, if you want software installed on that server, it's going to cost you money to have it installed for you. If you want data backed up, it will cost extra, etc. etc. - the difference here is that the host provides script installations for those who are too lazy to install them for themselves.

People who think that because I (for example) charge money for installing and configuring Linux on a server, or installing hardware and modifying a car for you is the same thing as charging money for Linux seriously need to look over their logic.

Getting paid for installing software is something that happens all over the world on a daily basis. They are NOT charging money for someone elses work, they are charging money to install it. You know, like when some people buy a computer and want Ubuntu installed on it, they have to pay to have someone install it. Regardless if they created Ubuntu themselves, or not.

All the people defending SS for being a business and out to make money, yes that is true but it's always SS, are they that hard up they have to resort to this ? :lol:

I don't see Vert, FPG or any other half decent GSP needing to do this :unsure: then again anyone stupid enough to choose SS is most likely a window licker, you'd have to have something wrong to go with them.

Hi people 

use this license for you public work.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes
i think this cover install feed ?

Not sure, but... if I write an open-source application, and someone charges money for just installing it, they are still not charging money for the application itself.

I used to get paid for updating and configuring different plug-ins/scripts to a website which ran on Wordpress. To me and anyone with a bit of experience, it's so easy to accomplish. But to some people they have to spend months and months learning the basics of permissions for folders, directories, paths to things, etc. etc. - they don't want the hassle so they pay someone to do it for them.

I by no means got paid for Wordpress itself, nor the scripts in question, but for my experiencing in getting them to work like they wanted to.

All the people defending SS for being a business and out to make money, yes that is true but it's always SS, are they that hard up they have to resort to this ? :lol:

I don't see Vert, FPG or any other half decent GSP needing to do this :unsure: then again anyone stupid enough to choose SS is most likely a window licker, you'd have to have something wrong to go with them.

I don't think anyone here is really defending them as much as trying to clear up some confusion..

I would think it would depend on the type of licence. I mean, you can charge poeple to install Windows, but you have to pay Microsoft for the right to do so, don't you? I mean, a lot of differences there but..

I don't think anyone here is really defending them as much as trying to clear up some confusion..

I would think it would depend on the type of licence. I mean, you can charge poeple to install Windows, but you have to pay Microsoft for the right to do so, don't you? I mean, a lot of differences there but..

Server renting companies often ask money if you want ANY OS installed. No matter what it is, if you want someone else to do something for you, it comes at a cost. Sometimes that cost is baked into the monthly fee, at other times it's a one time only setup-cost, just like it is here.

With that said, I think their prices are outrageous.

If you make something from scratch and want to release it, I urge you to license it https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses or http://creativecommons.org/choose/ then it will be clear to others what they can or cannot do with your work. If your work is based on the work someone else then you may need to use a specific license. For example, work that was based on DayZ Mod or DayZ Epoch Mod is subject to the DML license by default.